Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Xterra Spedometer and Gauges Failure Forums > > 2000 Xterra Spedometer and Gauges Failure 2000 Xterra Spedometer and Gauges Failure
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
tjindeface

Default 2000 Xterra Spedometer and Gauges Failure

Hi all. I have a 2000 Nissan Xterra. When I drive on long trips or for a period of time, the oil guage, temp. guage, spedometer, and all of the other guages go dowm to the down of the guage or down to 0, there by showing that I have no gas, traveling 0 mph, etc., but the car runs normally. This seems to be an electrical problem that has been occurring off and on for the last 3 yrs. I am now getting concerned because it seems to occur more often now. Does any one know the source or problem, and a fix? Also, is this a major concern? Is there a fix? I am going on a long trip tomorrow and would like to know if I should be concerned?

I have also lost power about every 6 months when this occurs. Should I be concerned and what is the cause of this? Please help.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM
helofixer

Something is def. amiss. Im not sure if your year vehicle has an electrical connector at the back of the gauge cluster that passes all wires to their respective instruments, but if it does, that would be a good place to start. Perhaps the gauge cluster itself is having problems? When this problem happens, do you get any warning lights? When you say you lose power, you mean electrical power or engine power? You might have a bad battery or a bad ground somewhere...could be as simple as a partially shorted or chafed wire/wires. Sorry I cant help more...you might need to take it to a dealer next time you have these problems.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM
reconomy

I'm having the same problem. I just bought my 2000 Xterra 2 months ago with 80k. Yesterday the gauges froze in place while driving. This morning they were working fine, but on the way home from work it started again. On mine, the spedo, tach, odo, and temp gauge fail. They either move wildly or cut out altogether.

My cousin is a Nissan mechanic and said it may be the gauge cluster or wires leading to the cluster. I haven't had the cut of power problem though.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Xterra_MB

Default 2000 Xterra Spedometer and Gauges Failure

I have the same problem on my 2002 Xterra. I am the original owner and this problem has occurred repeatedly over the years. It has cost us over $1,000 in what seems to be guess work by both factory trained and stand alone Japanese car mechanics. One of the mechanics that I trust tried replacing the Mass Air Flow Sensor (ridiculous $$$$ for the apparently simple part) which seemed to stop the problem for almost a year but now the problem is back. We service the car regularly. On the freeway to Seattle with my wife and two of our kids in the carpool lane and all of the guages go to zero, the blinkers do not work but the radio and head lights are working fine. Battery leads are clean. The car will not accelerate and is now slowing down in the fast lane. If I let off the gas and slightly depress it it seems to work at slower RPM which allows me to work my way over to the right had side of the road. The car is ideling fine but no gagues. This is not a fuel problem. After waiting about 5 minutes the guages come back on and all appears normal. Back on the freeway to try to get somewhere to take a look at it and it happens again but now it does not affect the acceleration and I am able to make it to the off ramp. After waiting approximately 1 hour with the car turned off it drives normal with all guages, lights, acceleration etc. seeming to be fine. Please let me know if anyone has found the solution to this one. I would not want my wife to be driving the car alone when it is like this.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

do u have a check ingine light on or anyother warning lights on?? if so have autozone scan them for you for free. usually when the maf is bad on nissan it will just cut out at a certain rpm range like 3 or 4 k, but u said it will still drive after the gausges go off. seems maybe a wire is exposed or a short somewhere. has your mechnic tried to take it it apart(the gauge cluster) and inspect it.

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 11-13-2008, 08:22 AM
szaske

Default Yup me too

I am the original owner of a 2000 Xterra and have been having this problem for a few years.

I have found that it occurs when the dash gets warm, always worse in the summer or when running the heat, night driving with dash lights bright.

If I turn on the AC and the heater controls set to defrost, and keep the dash lights dim they gauges will come back.

I have seen on other boards that the problem is the Printed Circuit Board in the instrument cluster.

I have tried to order the part in the past but the order was kicked back. I am planning on trying again in a few weeks.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

u might want to think about having it repaired here is a link for u if u choose this route Mr. Whizard Technical Services - Instrument Cluster Repair, Speedometer Repair, Odometer Repair and Digital Dash Repair
Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
2004 Xterra

Default Any luck on this issue?

I am the original owner of a 2004 SE/SC Xterra and over the past year I have experienced the same strange issues with the gauge cluster and loss of power. It has went from an infrequent issue to something that happens almost every time I drive the car.

Driving normally, the gauges will then drop and not register at all. You can then press the odometer button in several times or hold it in, and the gauges will reset and come back. If I do not get them to come back up by pressing the odometer button, the engine will then proceed to loose power. The engine will start kicking on an off until you reach 0mph. While the engine is doing its thing, if you press the odometer button in or hold it in, the engine will correct itself.

To date, anyone I take it to say that there is no possible way the gauge cluster can be related/cause the engine to loose power.

Repair #1 - Complete tune up, fuel system flush, etc
Repair #2 - Knock Sensor
Repair #3 - O2 Sensors

I am now going to replace the gauge cluster just to see if that does anything. If anyone has this issue and can give any insight that would be awesome.

FYI just a little more info... there is no rhyme or reason between failures, it can be hot, it can be cold, I can start the car up from sitting all night and have no gauges, I could be driving for 60 miles straight and then no gauges. It can be dry outside, it can be raining. I could have just filled up the gas tank, or I could have 1/4 tank. Totally random.

If I use the cruise control, that really makes things go crazy and the cruise control light flashes rapidly.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 AM
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra

I have same issue, Did you find what causes issue?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
2004 Xterra

What my problem turned out to be was a faulty gauge cluster. I took to a repair shop they ordered the cluster and replaced for about $900. The X ran pretty good after that, no more dead gauges. I then sold it about 6 months after that to the dealer.

Tags
2000, failure, gauges, spedometer, xterra