Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Catalytic converter questions Forums > > Catalytic converter questions Catalytic converter questions
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM

2000 pathfinder

Default Catalytic converter questions

I have a question regarding the front driver side cat on a 2001 Xterra with 125k. It started making a buzzing vibration noise and my local mechanic confirmed that it was coming from the cat. The local dealer and a muffler place quoted prices around $800-$900 to replace. From underneath the vehicle it looks like the cat is attached by three bolts on each end. I saw a bunch of different aftermarket options as well as a lot of different prices. Some look like they would need welding but a couple have the three bolt flange on each end. So my questions are:

How hard is it to remove the cat and reinstall? Is there more to it than the 3 bolts on each end? If so,any tips?

There seems to a wide range in price even for the bolt on cats. Any reason to use any brand over the other?

Thanks for any and all responses in advance.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

With the proper tools it's not a hard job.Count on some or all of the studs to strip or brake so plan on that along with the proper gaskets.The welded type is a different story if you don't have access to a welder.Price does make us look more carefully and i would look at the type of materials it is constructed out of.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM

2000 pathfinder

thanks for the info.

Tags
catalytic, converter, questions