Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Forums > > Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 AM
aka_rocket

awesome that i found this place. i have been having the same problem and was quoted $500. thanks for the DIY info.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
mschris

Default fuel indicator problem

I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra. I have a problem with the fuel indicator. It does not drop down to "E" to indicate that I am nearing empty. The fuel indicator will go down to between 1/2 and 1/4 and that is where it stays unless I refuel. I have ran out of gas twice with this problem. Both times, I have taken the Xterra into the shop and they have claimed to fix it. Labor day weekend, I ran into the same problem again. I have an appt to take it in tomorrow morning. My 36K mile warranty has expired since I now have 38K miles on the truck.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:40 PM
wcfields

Default http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/xterra/4151-fuel-gauge-problem-sevice-engine-soon-ligh

Good evening every one

The fuel gauage is a major problem and Nissan will not lift a finger to help any one with the problem. I had the same problem with my 05 Xterra and St Charles nissan did the repairs under the extened warranty. Nissan customer satisfaction is a joke.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:39 AM
mschris

I am contacting an attorney to see what I can do under the Lemon Law. I have had my xterra in the shop 3 times for the same problem that they claim to fix each time.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Altima
2007 Versa
2007 versa

I live in Canada and I know that when I worked for V.W. we replaced fuel guage sending units all the time. Mostly on vehicles that went to a certain area of the country. Later it was determined that an additive in some fuels
(I believe Shell gas) was the cause. On some gas stations they had 1-800#s posted if you had fuel gauge problems and I believe they were reemburseing people for this.

I am wondering if you guys have anything in common with where you buy fuel,or what additives are in it?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

i've replaced these on several nissan suv's and frontiers....i agree that there is a defect on the contacts as the fingers on the contacts seem to break halfway off on all the ones i've seen...but unfortunatly its a 3 year 36k mile part on the frontier or xterra but on the titans and armadas its 5 year 60k cause the sending unit is not avail separately from the pump...best bet is to call nissan customer service at 1-800 nissan and open up a report
Old 09-20-2008, 09:28 AM
2005 Frontier King Cab
2005 Frontier

Angry 2005 Frontier SE

Exact same problem as described above happened to me this morning at 51k and 19 days out of warranty.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 AM
xhillerate

Default what's next blown engine!!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Well this is my last nissan (2005 xterra s) I just hope i will be able to drive it to the ground before something else goes wrong with it!!

Here is the list of problems so far.

Yes-the fuel gauge problem @54000

Front u joint bad replaced impleller shaft and u joint@5400

rear seal at the differential leaking @54000

a exhaust???? rattle every time i start out in the morning (gone when warmed up)-still need to diagnose problem-something I can live with I guess@54000

evaporator canister release problem @54000

Trailer hitch replacement @12000

Rear Cup holder broken @45000

antitheft lug nut broke@54000

nissan did take care of the u joint, seal, trailer hitch and the cupholder under warranty.

I just waiting for the other shoe to drop!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
mbcwildcat

Default daughters 2006 nissan same issues with 27000 miles

thanks for information very helpful in talking with dealer who didn't want to acknowledge that sender could be problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschris View Post
I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra. I have a problem with the fuel indicator. It does not drop down to "E" to indicate that I am nearing empty. The fuel indicator will go down to between 1/2 and 1/4 and that is where it stays unless I refuel. I have ran out of gas twice with this problem. Both times, I have taken the Xterra into the shop and they have claimed to fix it. Labor day weekend, I ran into the same problem again. I have an appt to take it in tomorrow morning. My 36K mile warranty has expired since I now have 38K miles on the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassPathy View Post
Hi... had the EXACT same thing happen this past Sunday to my 2006 Pathfinder with 47k miles, with the exception that my gauge went to completely empty. The DTE read ------ . Did some research and found Service Bulletin NTB07-069a , link below, which seems to indicate this is a real problem with several models, including Xterra's. I went to AutoZone and pulled the code PO463 which confirmed the fuel sending unit as the issue. Now trying to find out why they apparently won't cover it. Good luck.

NTB07-069a
Old 10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
mbcwildcat

Default daughters 2006 nissan same issues with 27000 miles

dealer did't want to ackowledge problem that they might be having with sending units and consumer reports gave xterra a good rating. Oh well if they don't want to be helpful with this problem i'll go somewhere else to buy my vehicles.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassPathy View Post
Hi... had the EXACT same thing happen this past Sunday to my 2006 Pathfinder with 47k miles, with the exception that my gauge went to completely empty. The DTE read ------ . Did some research and found Service Bulletin NTB07-069a , link below, which seems to indicate this is a real problem with several models, including Xterra's. I went to AutoZone and pulled the code PO463 which confirmed the fuel sending unit as the issue. Now trying to find out why they apparently won't cover it. Good luck.

JJ

NTB07-069a
Old 10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

Quote:
I am contacting an attorney to see what I can do under the Lemon Law. I have had my xterra in the shop 3 times for the same problem that they claim to fix each time.

Well, I got mine "fixed" at the dealer about 3 months ago. It recently acted up again the other day, only goes up to 3/4 tank now and the engine light back on. So much for being "fixed" --- Round 2, comming up. This is crazy. Now watch, they might change out the entire fuel assembly like it should have been done to begin with, and it would have been covered under WARRANTY doing it the correct way first!! Hmmm, think I''ll get a refund? LOL What a SCAM Nissan!! What a SCAM!!

It's a shame cause there are lots of good things I like about my truck, but NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE is as bad as bad can be. Think twice before buying a Nissan product.

I hope there is a class action law suit over this - I'd be on that bandwaggon real quick. Well, back to the dealer we go ---- again!!
Old 10-14-2008, 11:32 AM
bartond

I'm having the same problem with my 2006 Xterra. I fill my gas tank, the gauge falls to the bottom and the light comes on, then shortly the check engine soon light comes on. After it is driven for a short distance the gauge will gradually move to the top and work again and after several trips the check engine light will turn itself off. I am going to file a complaint hoping for a recall.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:20 PM
dahunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatxterra View Post
FILE A COMPLAINT AT THIS WEBSITE ---->>IVOQ - File a Complaint Apparently this is a problem that deserves a recall! Why should we take the cost of repair when this was an existing problem on earlier models? You'd think that something would have been done in order to prevent a repeat. Here is a copy of my complaint.

"I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and went to fill up. After filling up my gas tank, I turned on the car, at which point the needle did not register the full tank. After driving a couple miles, the check engine light came on. I went directly to the dealer and was told that it was a fuel sending unit/sensor and that it was no longer covered after 30K miles. After returning home and doing research, I went online to x.nissanhelp.com After performing a search, I came across many others who have experienced the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the fuel sending unit. A similar problem was found on the 2000-2004 xterra models and a recall was performed when the vehicle would stop after not getting any fuel, posing a great danger. It seems that somthing in the unit is faulty and will corrode over time. There is a general consensus that everyone who is having the problem is experiencing the same thing after having the vehicle for over 2 yrs and with around 39k-49k. If this problem existed in previous models, and it was recalled, the 2005-2007 xterras, frontiers, and pathfinders should get this fixed at no charge to the customer!! Why wait for accidents and possible deaths, especially since the problem lies in an integral part of the vehicle. Cost of repair ranges from $300-600."

Please file the complaint if you agree that we, the loyal Nissan customers, should not have to pay for something that is clearly a defect on Nissan's part.
I'm a 05 pathy owner... And i agree with your post but... This model is soooo full of bugs... Nissan should have been embarrassed to release this to the public. I might consider a nissan car in the future... but as for trucks or SUVs... well lets just leave it to the people who know how to the make them... like toyota or ford... nissan truck... never again...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 AM
7gregory

I just filed the complaint from the above link. it is easy to do and only takes a few minutes. I strongly encourage everyone else to do the same so maybe we can get a recall.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:39 AM
hawkinscb

I stopped to fill up and left the station with a full tank. I merged on the interstate and my fuel gauge fell to empty and the low fuel light came on. I drove approx. 50 miles and the gauge moved up to full but very slowly. This is the same routine after each fill-up. I have a 2006 X w/47,000 miles, now the SES light is on. My low air pressure light has been on for months and will go off for awhile after a service. I tried to trade this thing off and the dealer knew instantly the problems the X has. He said my trade would be about $1000 less because of their cost to repair for sale.

Tags
engine, fuel, gauge, light, problem, sevice