Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Forums > > Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 03-11-2008, 09:02 AM
Retro

The other kick in the pants is there is a recall for something to do with trailer hitch on this year 2005 Xterra. I'm sure it is a liablity/lawsuit cover your rear end (CYA) issue vs. no recall on the sender unit........ which is not a lawsuit type concern :eek:
Old 04-06-2008, 08:49 PM
NVRDONE

Default Fuel Gauge

The same thing happened to my 06 pathy this afternoom. Gauge showed about 1/4 tank & display showed 54 miles to empty, so I didn't worry.
Foolish me - it died on a flat road, so my daughter brought me 2 gal. which got me going. I stopped & put in 10 gal more, yet the gauge still shows 1/4 tank. Off the the deater tomorrow we go.
I only have 27k, so I hope it's a warranty issue.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

I did a search and found out I'm not alone. Went to the gas station tonight with a little less then 3/4 tank and filled it up - had to stop at the store anyway so I gassed up. Anyway, driving down the road, I looked down and my fuel gauge is on empty and the light on. Interesting, I thought. Then the check engine comes on later. He, I was thinking some kind of gas pocket or something so I got home and un did the gas cap, and disconnect the battery. The check engine cleared, but the fuel empty is still there. I have a 2005 Frontier. Bought my truck new in 1/05 and now has 47K miles. It's been a great truck but I hope these things don't keep creeping up.

I did not go with the extended warranty. Although, These insurance just dont stop calling or sending mail. They said I would be taken off the list if I did not call, but that was like 1367 of the same messages ago. Those warranty places are relentless and just dont stop.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:58 AM
thegreatxterra

Angry Fuel level sensor

Apparently this is a bigger problem than I thought...there def. needs to be a RECALL!! A couple wks ago I went to the gas station to fill up, I was at about a 1/4 of a tank. After filling, got in the vehicle, turned it on, and saw that it was still saying I had a quarter of a tank. Anyways, I ignored it until a couple miles down the road the "service engine soon" light came on. Went directly to Nissan dealership and was told that I needed part number 25060- fuel level sensor and that it was gonna be $400, roughly, and that they'd have to drop my tank, dumping about $80 of GAS!! And of course, the extended warranty that I did purchase did not cover this!! GGRRRR!!!!!! Well, I said I'd wait until I spent most of the gas....but I really think that something should be done about this! Eventually, the needle read "full" but it took a couple days. I drive an '05 Xterra w/about 48k. If detailed instructions come out on how to "fix it youself", I'd def. be willing.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:54 PM
thegreatxterra

Default If you are reading this because you have the same problem...

FILE A COMPLAINT AT THIS WEBSITE ---->>IVOQ - File a Complaint Apparently this is a problem that deserves a recall! Why should we take the cost of repair when this was an existing problem on earlier models? You'd think that something would have been done in order to prevent a repeat. Here is a copy of my complaint.

"I had 1/4 of a tank of gas and went to fill up. After filling up my gas tank, I turned on the car, at which point the needle did not register the full tank. After driving a couple miles, the check engine light came on. I went directly to the dealer and was told that it was a fuel sending unit/sensor and that it was no longer covered after 30K miles. After returning home and doing research, I went online to x.nissanhelp.com After performing a search, I came across many others who have experienced the same problem. Apparently it has something to do with the fuel sending unit. A similar problem was found on the 2000-2004 xterra models and a recall was performed when the vehicle would stop after not getting any fuel, posing a great danger. It seems that somthing in the unit is faulty and will corrode over time. There is a general consensus that everyone who is having the problem is experiencing the same thing after having the vehicle for over 2 yrs and with around 39k-49k. If this problem existed in previous models, and it was recalled, the 2005-2007 xterras, frontiers, and pathfinders should get this fixed at no charge to the customer!! Why wait for accidents and possible deaths, especially since the problem lies in an integral part of the vehicle. Cost of repair ranges from $300-600."

Please file the complaint if you agree that we, the loyal Nissan customers, should not have to pay for something that is clearly a defect on Nissan's part.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:19 PM
2015 Rogue

The problem on the older xterras was much different than the problem occuring on the new ones (2005-2008). The problem on the new one will not cause your engine to quit it just makes the gauge read incorrectly (usually reads less fuel than you actually have)
I don't think the government could require nissan to recall them for that reason. It would have to pose an obvious safety concern. Nissan would have to voluntarily recall them. I agree nissan should pay for the repair. I think they should at least cover the sending unit for the same time frame as the fuel pump which is 5 years or 60k miles.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
The problem on the older xterras was much different than the problem occuring on the new ones (2005-2008). The problem on the new one will not cause your engine to quit it just makes the gauge read incorrectly (usually reads less fuel than you actually have)
I don't think the government could require nissan to recall them for that reason. It would have to pose an obvious safety concern. Nissan would have to voluntarily recall them. I agree nissan should pay for the repair. I think they should at least cover the sending unit for the same time frame as the fuel pump which is 5 years or 60k miles.
Ahhh, here is where I posted before. This same thing is in the pathfinder section too.

Yeah, the fuel sensor issue is not a safety item. However, Nissan originally put in a defective part and should stand behind the repair instead of changing the sensor in the complete fuel pump assembly (covered under the warrenty) and passing the cost over to the customer ................. not a smart move by Nissan.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:57 AM
jojo566

I have a 2005 Nissan Xterrra and I have been experiencing the same problem with my fuel level indicator/sender unit. After filling the tank and driving around 140 miles the level indicator shows that the tank is empty. I was quoted that it would cost around $700.00 to repair.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:24 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Ahhh, here is where I posted before. This same thing is in the pathfinder section too.

Yeah, the fuel sensor issue is not a safety item. However, Nissan originally put in a defective part and should stand behind the repair instead of changing the sensor in the complete fuel pump assembly (covered under the warrenty) and passing the cost over to the customer ................. not a smart move by Nissan.
Actually if you think about it, it was a brilliant move by nissan. Think about how much money they are saving by not having to pay for the repairs.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

Quote:
Actually if you think about it, it was a brilliant move by nissan. Think about how much money they are saving by not having to pay for the repairs.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Not only is Nissan saving money, but making a huge profit from their original mistake. A part they probably get for, what, $50 (less mark-up) and 2 hours labor time -- then charging upward to $700 as posted here?

That should tick a lot of people off I'd think. It's a principle thing for me.

But, it really gave me a very bitter taste and Nissan customer service is just plain lousy as it gets. I paid for the repair so it's done. I'll be in the market for a new vehicle soon and it's a shame cause there is a lot I like about my truck -- I bought mine the first month this new model hit the lot. The sensor thing is a pretty small item too so I hate to see if something major developed.

I do know other manufactures have much better customer service and stand behind their products and mistakes, that is for sure.

Last edited by BlueT; 07-27-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:53 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. Not only is Nissan saving money, but making a huge profit from their original mistake. A part they probably get for, what, $50 (less mark-up) and 2 hours labor time -- then charging upward to $700 as posted here?

That should tick a lot of people off I'd think. It's a principle thing for me.

But, it really gave me a very bitter taste and Nissan customer service is just plain lousy as it gets. I paid for the repair so it's done. I'll be in the market for a new vehicle soon and it's a shame cause there is a lot I like about my truck -- I bought mine the first month this new model hit the lot. The sensor thing is a pretty small item too so I hate to see if something major developed.

I do know other manufactures have much better customer service and stand behind their products and mistakes, that is for sure.
If you paid $700 for that repair you got robbed. We charge 2.5 hours labor . Parts and labor for that job should be $300 or less.Maybe $400 if you include the diag charges.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Frontier

Quote:
If you paid $700 for that repair you got robbed. We charge 2.5 hours labor . Parts and labor for that job should be $300 or less.Maybe $400 if you include the diag charges.
I paid $419 to get the thing done. What I was implying is that some folks posted they got a quote as high as $700. This problem is posted in most of the truck sections on the forum and that price is probably in another section. Even at $400, it's still a good profit for Nissan.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:53 PM
quiet451

My '06 Xterra now has this problem. I went to gas up from 1/4 full tank. I left the gas station without looking at how much gas I put in the car. About 5 minutes later I looked at the gauge and it was still on 1/4 tank. I went back to the gas station and they confirmed that I put in 15 gallons of gas. I then started driving back home and the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.

This comes at a bad time, since my air conditioning recently stopped working. I should have learned my lesson from the POS Pathfinder I used to own.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:42 PM
darkness1

Default p0463 diy instructions

so today i finally fixed my fuel level sensor. i can pass emissions. i am so happy i did not spend crazy dealership prices to get it fixed. for $85 and a couple hours you too can fix this problem. not $400-$500 like they want you to. attached or some pics to help you out as you go along.
1. jack up driver rear side and remove tire
2. disconnect fuel and electrical lines to tank
the one electrical line will require two small screwdrivers to undo the clip
3. remove 3 bolts on the straps that hold the tank in place
4. slowly drop gas tank down ( less gas the easier to drop) me and a friend could hold it with one hand each not that bad at all
5. unclip electrical harness at top of sending unit (do not disconnect the fuel line because gas will come out. learned the hard way. lol.
6. with hammer and screwdriver remove locking ring on top
7. pull out sending unit completely from tank
8. the sensor is on the very bottom unclip 2 harness and it slides off the unit
9. replace with new fuel level sensor
fuel level sending unit part # 25060-zs00a bought online at CourtesyNissanparts.com for $85 including shipping
10. follow steps in reverse to assemble back together
and your done. and yes it really is that easy. took me about 2 hours to do and i think i spent more time drinking then working. so good luck to all and hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1922-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1923-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1924-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1925-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1926-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1927-jpg   Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light-img_1928-jpg  
Old 08-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

good write up and pics

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate

Tags
engine, fuel, gauge, light, problem, sevice