Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Forums > > Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light Fuel gauge problem and Sevice Engine Soon light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 05-16-2011, 12:38 PM

2005 Pathfinder

I just replaced fuel sending unit on a 2005 pathfinder after 3 years of not getting nissan to help me (I've owned 4 nissans in the last 5 years). They didn't like me because I generally do my own maintenance instead of letting the stealership do it. I would consider it a "moderate" job - coming from someone who is not scared of wrenches, but usually sticks to oil, brakes, hoses, and the occasional radiator and alternator job. I'd like to say thanks to the folks that posted their experiences performing this fix and especially to those that took the time to post pictures of the job. To add a little to the other great instructional posts provided:

I had to syphon the gas out of the tank. I bought a $5 syphon pump from Harbor Freight, but the tube was too flexible and short to reach the tank from the fill. I had to remove the spare tire, and disconnect the fill tube nearest the driver's side back fender. I syphoned about 12 gallons of gas and there was still about 1-2 gallons left in the tank.

I broke the weird, white clamp on the evap flex hose while trying to loosen before dropping the tank. For those of you who haven't done it, you need to push the white tabs on both sides "in", then pull the "C" tab out of the clamp from the opposite or oposing side (the "c" clamp pulls out from the connector perpindicular to the direction of flow or the line). I read on another site that these clamps are often broken during repair and if you break it, nissan wants you to buy a whole new evap hose system. A "nissan tech" recommended that a plastic cable zip tie can be used in place of the "C" tab in the clamp. I used a zip tie and it worked perfectly.

I did not remove the rear driver wheel, against all of the instructions. I used ramps because the slope of my driveway made the car level. I used 2 jackstands and a floor jack for raising and lowering the tank. For the Pathfinder, I don't think removing the wheel would make things any more accessible (it's tight, and I've got the nicks and cuts on my hand to prove it).

I lowered the front of the tank almost to the ground before lowering the rear of the tank. By doing this, you can access the top of the fuel pump from the front (the 3 fuel connections and fuel line are connected to the fuel pump on the top/rear side of the tank). If nissan had made the electrical line about 6 inches longer you could lower the entire tank entirely to the ground. Be very careful here - if you let the tank slip off the jackstands or try to lower the entire tank at once, you will break the electrical connector on top of the fuel pump. Also, I had read that the fuel will "pour" out of the fuel line when it is disconnected from the fuel pump - that really wasn't the case with me. Just a couple of ounces at the most. The fuel pump itself had a good bit of gas in it. I just sat it on newspaper when I pulled from the tank.

Mark the fuel pump position on the tank and the pump with a mark before removing from the tank so you will know which direction to put the fuel pump back into the tank. Heck, just mark everything to be safe.

I was frustrated putting the tank back up - once the electrical connector is hooked back up, you can't let the tank fall or set it down without support. The 2 gallons of fuel remaining in the tank were sloshing around causing the weight to shift in every direction. An extra pair of hands would have been nice. If working alone, make sure you have two jackstands and a jack to balance the weight. I also used a 2'x1'x1/4" piece of wood between the tank and the floorjack to help. Make sure you don't crimp the evap hose when raising the tank. Just make sure that the evap hose is in its recessed pathway on the tank and it will be fine.

Most of all, don't get in a hurry. Just take your time and think about the experience of saving some money and doing something yourself. If you get frustrated with a step, just walk away for a minute. It took me about 5 hours start to finish, but I was able to break it up over two days.

If you have any questions, please feel free to hit me up! Thanks again to this site and all contributors for helping me with this project.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM
tsykes31

Default Part is under extended warranty on all vehicles with problem

My 2007 Pathfinder had the problem, it is covered under warranty up to 72,000 miles. My pathfinder had 71,566 miles on it so luckily I called them in time. If your dealer doesn't help, call nissan, there are people dedicated to this problem alone.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:10 AM
2007 Xterra

Default Fuel Guage/Service Engine Light

I own an 2007 Xterra, which is my third Nissan SUV. In all three SUV's I have spent more money "repairing" non-existent problems due to faulty sensors than for mechanical problems . My last Pathfinder cost me $2300 to replace what would evidently turn out to be only a defective knock sensor. I purchased an extended warranty, to 100K miles, in order to prevent a financial loss like I experienced with my two previous SUV's.
At exactly 100019 miles I filled my tank and after leaving the service station I noticed my gas gauge registered near empty and the Service Engine Light was on. So I thought the service station was at fault for either not replacing the gas cap or for charging me for gas that was not put in my tank. Eventually, the needle on the gas gauge rose to indicate a full tank.
I went to my dealer and they told me it was a problem with the "fuel sending unit" as described by several others in this forum. I was told it would be a $300-$400 repair since I was out of warranty.
For the most part all three of my Nissans have been malfunction free, except for the expensive "sensor" issues. In my state a vehicle cannot pass inspection when the Service Engine light is on, even for non-emission related problems.
These issues need to be investigated by Nissan and based on the repetitive nature of the complaints in this forum a factory recall needs to be executed with the burden for the cost of the repair to be carried by Nissan.
Although I have have over 500K malfunction-free miles in my 3 SUV's, I will have to seriously consider moving to another manufacturer for my next vehicle. Simply, it has become too costly to own a fully functioning vehicle that needs to have defective sensors replaced. I know that my friends who own either a Honda or Toyota do not have these issues.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:52 PM
2007 Frontier

2007 Nissan Frontier XE, 5-speed manual.....

Same same problem with creeping gas gauge = eventually went dead ....
Cleaned batt terminal (+), cranked up, drove a few blocks = still dead.....
Cut truck off, re cranked = problem fixed ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Thanks to those very few guys that posted that .......

I would advise everyone who has this problem, to at least try this fix before anything else ......................

EDIT ! ! ! !!
OK, I drove truck approx 60 miles, gas gauge went back to below empty .....
So, I guess ignore my above post = I'm headed to the dealership ...........................................

UPDATE->
Went down to dealership, told the fellow that I heard there was a recall on the fuel sensor gauge....
He said = Nope, but there is a warranty extension = 72,000 mi/or/ till 10/22/13
I would imagine that's specific for my truck (2007) ....
Taking it in tomorrow afternoon .......................................

Update #2 >
Picked truck up, cost = $00.00....
Working good at the moment .....................

Update # 3 >
Five months later = everything working well .....................

Update #4 >
I would suggest to anyone having these problems = take it to dealership
and find out if you can get the fix for free/min charge, etc, etc .......

Last edited by Oxbo Rene; 07-13-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
CPI

My 2006 SES light went on about a month ago. I was almost on E when it happened. After researching this site it seemed like it was going to cost a small fortune to fix through the dealership. I followed some advice and filled up my truck. After about 100 miles the SES light went off. It seems like as long as I keep it at a 1/4 tank or above I am good....I hope.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 AM
2006 Xterra

I have a 2006 nissan xterra. Is the same?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
2006 Frontier

Since the "check engine" light comes on and probably will not be able to pass smog with this problem, could this come under the typically longer warranty for the emissions system? I am in California, where the emissions rules might be a little tougher on the manufacturers than in most states.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 AM
2005 Pathfinder
2005 Pathfinder

Default aka

"i am having a problem with my 2005 Nissan pathfinder Fuel gauge problem and Service Engine Soon light after fueling the light keep on showing know fuel and service engine soon light all ways on
Old 03-24-2013, 12:40 PM
2007 Frontier King Cab

Default 2007 frontier with bad fuel sender unit

I have a similar story as many other on this forum, only with a good ending I hope. I previously owned a 1993 nissan pickup which ran perfectly and put up with all sorts of abuse for almost 20 years with no major problems. When it was finally time to sell, In 2012 I replaced it with a newer 2007 frontier. After about a year, at around 35500 miles, the SES light came on and the fuel gauge started acting up. A quick diagnostic revealed the same fuel sender unit error that so many others have reported here. Based on the reports on this forum, I was not hopeful for a good result because technically, my 60 month warranty was already up. In March 2013, I printed many of the reports and information I found online and went to my local nissan dealer ready for a fight. However, when I took my truck to Buckeye Nissan in Columbus, OH, they confirmed the error message, replaced the fuel sender unit and cleared out the error SAME DAY with no arguments. Better yet, they didn't charge me a penny. I have to say, they were fast and efficient. I was impressed and relived. Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that the issue does not recur.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM
2007 Xterra

Default I decided to not reinvest in Nissans's Products

I decided to switch rather than fight. I bought a Mazda CX-5 not an all terrain vehicle like the XTerra or Pathfinder but I'm averaging over 30 mpg so who's complaining.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:55 PM
2007 Frontier

Hi guys, mine's been just fine for 15 months now ..........................
Old 03-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2002 Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pags363 View Post
I decided to switch rather than fight. I bought a Mazda CX-5 not an all terrain vehicle like the XTerra or Pathfinder but I'm averaging over 30 mpg so who's complaining.
Glad it worked out for ya' (so far).

Every vehicle series has SOME component (sometimes more than one) that is a problem. In many Nissans, there's a fuel guage problem, and also a power steering problem.

When you have 1,000 parts in a car, you WILL have one of those parts that was poor quality, and went into each (whatever car).

When you find out the problem, MOST of the battle is done.

When you trade for a different vehicle, you have a battle in front of you, sooner or later, with the problem component NOT YET IDENTIFIED.

Just a few words of wisdom...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 AM
2007 Xterra

Default Too many non-issue issues

With 3 Nissan SUV's and close to 1/2 million miles, I believe I have a good handle on the problems with Nissan vehicles. It's their sensors. As I stated I spent more money on non-existent, sensor related, issues than actual mechanical repair. They were great off-road vehicles, their ground clearance and truck frame made going anywhere a breeze.
Fortunately, in my Xterra just prior to the expiration of my extended warranty the tire pressure sensors (all 4 wheels) failed and they were replaced for $50 (a deductible) at Nissan. Then when the fuel gauge sender failed that was it for me.
The engine, drive train, body are the best in the industry, their electronics are about the worst. Other than normal maintenance, and I do not consider sensors normal maintenance, I did not spend one dollar on mechanical repair.
It was a great 20+ year run but in the end economic reality won out.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:45 AM
2008 Rogue

Intermittant electronic gas guage reading with SES. So I have the same basic problem with a 2008 Rogue. SES light on most of the time. Electronic gas guage registers the fuel level only intermittantly...after it gets below 1/4 tank low fuel indicator light comes on and guage ceases to register at all. However, DTE still functions! Dealership said $404 to repair. (YIKES) I said "When DTE stops working I will replace part!" Is this a symptom of a more serious problem? Am I doing more damage to my car? can this be replaced other than at a dealership? I hate to be the Girl who always gets ripped off over stuff like this.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM
2007 Xterra

Bonnieluc,
There's no problem with the car, unfortunately, Nissans have an overabundance of, what I consider poorly designed, sensors. This issue happened at 99,830 miles. By the time I got to the dealership I was out of warranty (100,000+ miles). I eventually had to call Nissan directly and provide the read-out slip from the dealership. They were supposed to arrange for a warranty repair. It never happened. At about 160,000 miles I totaled the car but it was functioning without issue. When the fuel sending unit (reason for light) actually fails the car will stop. But as far as I can tell there's no relationship between the functioning of the fuel unit and the SES light.
With a Pathfinder that I owned before the XTerra, it cost me $2300 to "repair" a car that had no problems just defective sensors. Mechanically, Nissan makes great cars. Their sensor technology sucks.

Tags
engine, fuel, gauge, light, problem, sevice