Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Recurrent and endless P0120 error code..TPS... Forums > > Recurrent and endless P0120 error code..TPS... Recurrent and endless P0120 error code..TPS...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 AM
xcabo

Red face Recurrent and endless P0120 error code..TPS...

Hello....

I have a 2000 XTERRA 3.3L 4X4, I had read I guess everypost I could find related to problem with TPS and P0120 error code.

My problem started with camshaft position sensor, I replaced the distribuitor, clearead the code, then after some miles the Check Engine Light turned on, I scanned and showed the P0120 and P1705.. I thought was a bad distribuitor and I replaced with a brand new and nothing changed.

Then I replaced the TPS and configured according with the Service Manual specifications (with multimeter checked with middle and top ping of TPswitch), cleared the codes and after some miles again the check engine light, same error, I have tried with another 2 TPS, but with the same results.

Everytime I changed the TPS I did the "Throttle Position Learning" process (turning on and off the engine with 10 secs in every step 20 times).

The all TPS shows good functionality, shows continuity at the TPSwitch when the pedal is fully released even putting a 12 feeler blade and no continuity when I put a 16 or bigger feeler gauge. The resistance of TPS (checked with blue wire on the bottom connector of TPS) varies gradually with no "jumps" when I press the pedal. That was checked with ohmeter when connector unplugged and voltmeter when the connector plugged in.

Together with P0120 shows P1705 which is related with TPS too (TPS to A/T signal fault).

The truck in this situation shows a very poor acceleration and a fatal fuel economy.
It's a very desperating situation. Any help would be great.

Pedro
Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Did you replace the TPS with an aftermarket part.Go to the service manual at this site and look ouner chapter EC for the proper work flow for each code.s\Sorry i cant help farther but unable to access the manuals at this time on my end.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:27 PM
xcabo

(This response was posted on www.clubxterra.org too)

Hi everybody...

Finally, I found the problem with P0120 & P1705 Codes, I fells is my duty to tell who anytime could have this problem.

After tried with 3 TPS, checked all the connections voltage, and wire continuity between ECU & TPS, TPS & TCM, and TCM & ECU, as the Service Manual specifies, everything shows OK, so, I couldn't understand where the problem was.

Then as a last step before to carrying the truck to dealer, I decided to connect three wires from TPS to a LED on cabin so I can monitors if the tps receives correct ground and voltage from the ECU, and I connected a volmeter to ground and signal cable, guess what... on certain moments, like a bump or rock on road the TPS lost voltage, after passing that moment the voltages came back and stay on that state until the next bump or movement, so whenever I checked the connections was obvioulsly when parked and everything showed ok.

After that misterious behavior... I started to check the wires from engine to ECU, and when I moved the bunch of wires that goes from everything on engine, the TPS lost voltage, then the voltage comes back after 1 second.

I took a deep breath...finally I had found the problem.

I unzippered the bunch of cables, trying to find the problem, and I found that all the wires was a kind of "stressed" because of the part where they are tied, I lost every wire, tied from another part and guess what...the LED was always on instead I moved a the wires a lot....

After One week, the codes had never came back, the LED was on my dashboard until today I removed it.

The truck recovered all the functionallity...and finally the ECU says NO CODES...ahhhhhh.

Cheers,

Pedro
Old 02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
2001 Quest

Working on a 2001 Nissan Quest with code PO120 t.p.s. Customer had replaced t.p.s. Scanner shows no voltage at t.p.s. Are there any common problems on this vehicle with this code? Maybe wiring? Thanks!
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 AM
2000 Xterra

I'm normally a lurker, just getting the info I need, but xcabo really saved me a trip to the mechanic so I joined the site to give a big THANKS. I got my car to pass inspection and spent $0 on it. My wiring was shotty where it comes to a "Y" just off the Throttle Position Sensor, and I was having the same problem with a major sputtering feeling while driving. A little wiggling, and it's running like a champ.

I really appreciate the fact that you came back to update your post with the solution. Thanks for saving me time and money. Props to you.

Tags
codetps, endless, error, p0120, recurrent