Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 xterra cranks but wont start and starter signal fuse doesn't light up with light meter Forums > > 2000 xterra cranks but wont start and starter signal fuse doesn't light up with light meter 2000 xterra cranks but wont start and starter signal fuse doesn't light up with light meter
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-12-2019, 12:09 PM
2000 Xterra

Default 2000 xterra cranks but wont start and starter signal fuse doesn't light up with light meter

Hi, I have a 2000 xterra Se V6. was running fine until about2 weeks ago. I noticed prior month that it seemed to be missing but more like bad gas missing .. not engine wise . I went away for week end and came back to start it and it cranked but did not start . I have put in a new fuel pump ( hard as hell ) ha.. and I'm about to put a new fuel filter in but I realized by buying a light meter that all my fuses ( under dash work except the " starter signal) one which no matter how many new ones I put in it won't light up with the meter.. would this be an issue with a relay fuse under the hood? seems I am gettingi gas thru the new pump but could be I'm not getting it to the engine .. I'm frustrated as hell as I'm a senior on living on SS and thought I could fix this before winter comes but maybe not.. any help would be very appreciated. thank you
Old 09-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

You have to test voltage at the starter fuse with the ignition switch in the "start" position. If the engine is cranking, it doesn't sound like a starter fuse circuit issue. You have to determine if the issue is fuel, ignition or engine mechanical related. Trying spraying some carb cleaner into the engine and then try to start the engine. If the engine fires and runs a couple of seconds and stalls out, it's likely a fuel delivery issue. These vehicles had issues with the circuit corroding and "opening" or developing excessive resistance inside the fuel sending unit, which will keep the fuel pump from running. There was a recall on this issue, so it may pay to check for any open recalls or campaigns on your Xterra. If spraying carb cleaning doesn't result in the engine firing up, then check for spark. No spark conditions on these vehicles are many times due to a bad distributor assembly. Of course, check your fuses and fusible links before spending a couple of hundred dollars or more on a replacement distributor. Genuine Nissan remans are the best to buy and more reliable than the aftermarket. If you have spark and fuel and it's still not starting, check engine compression. A failed compression test usually indicates a stripped or broken timing belt, which should be changed every 6-years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Tags
cranks, light, start, starter, xterra