Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Erroneous Temperature Reading Forums > > Erroneous Temperature Reading Erroneous Temperature Reading
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-26-2019, 11:25 PM
2000 Xterra

Default Erroneous Temperature Reading

Problem began with a crank/no start. Determined no spark, no fuel. Replaced Crank position sensor, Distributor, Fuel Sending Unit. Got the truck running like a champion, except temperature gauge was reading hot, so I replaced the thermostat (again). Gauge still showed hot so coolant temperature sensor and thermistor (one wire sensor next to coolant temperature sensor) replaced. Gauge still showing hot, but I believe the engine temperature is good due to having a functional thermostat. I'd like to have the stock temperature working correctly, however, I have no problem installing an after market temperature gauge. Any suggestions to troubleshooting the erroneous reading on the stock temperature gauge?

The reason I believe the temperature sensor(s) are giving erroneous readings is that temperature gauge reads normal operating temperature when the engine is cold. Prior to the replacement of crank sensor, distributor, fuel sending unit the gauge was operational.

I've decided to install a coolant temperature gauge and delete the existing engine temperature gauge. I'll update once the project is complete.

2000 Xterra 3.3l 4wd manual transmission

Last edited by ratpuke; 08-28-2019 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM
2000 Xterra

Default Fixed

After attempting to install a Bosch coolant temperature sensor in lieu of stock gauge, and being unsuccessful, I replaced the (one wire) thermister (again) and the stock temperature gauge came to life . The thermister was either the incorrect part or faulty.

Thanks to all the readers of this post

Tags
erroneous, reading, temperature