Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Flashing SRS (airbag) Light and No Cruise Control Forums > > Flashing SRS (airbag) Light and No Cruise Control Flashing SRS (airbag) Light and No Cruise Control
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-05-2019, 05:22 AM
2001 Pathfinder

Default Flashing SRS (airbag) Light and No Cruise Control

Hello. New Xterra owner here with a 2007 S 4X4 at 210K miles. There are several little issues that need attention but, overall, the truck is very solid.

The SRS light is flashing and the code coming from the SRS controller is D1049 which points to the driver's airbag module. Resetting the light only results in it coming back on as soon as you start to drive. Also, the cruise control will not turn on or engage. That has to be the clock spring right? Is this a known problem area for the Xterras? I have seen a lot of posts about them. Have never had a clock spring issue with any other car, several of which were Nissans.

I took the clock spring off yesterday being careful not to change the position of the steering angle sensor thinking that maybe I could open it up and re-solder damaged or detached contacts. I decided against trying to open it up once I had it in my hands. Has anyone successfully repaired one?

Thank you,
Henryrifle
Old 08-06-2019, 10:57 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, it doesn't "have to be" a bad clockspring, but it could be. I don't keep tabs on the Frontiers, but I am an Admin at TheNissanPath.com and spend a lot of time at ClubFrontier.org and I have heard of several people that have had to replace the clocksprings on R51 Pathfinders and Gen2 Frontiers. So, they do fail sometimes. You'd have to do the diagnostics per the FSM to be sure. The cruise control diagnostics would probably be the better one to diagnose because when it comes to air bag systems, Nissan diagnostics are pretty much replace parts until the problem is fixed (liability issues, I'm assuming). Nico Club's site has free, online factory service manuals you can use. Years ago, Dodge and Chrysler had a lot of clockspring failures, mostly in the minivans.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:56 PM
2001 Pathfinder

Thank you for the input, smj999smj. The service manuals will be helpful in the future and I used them today to look up torque specs for my '01 Pathfinder's trailing arms.

I took a chance and ordered the clock spring from an eBay seller for $100, 1/3 the cost of OEM, who is selling just the center section of the clock spring with no turn signals or wiper controls. Transferred my steering angle sensor and control stalks over to the eBay part and initiated the diagnostics sequence followed by a test drive. Cruise is now functioning normally and the airbag light is extinguished with no codes. We'll see how long it lasts. The new part was an identical match and made in Taiwan.

Thank you again,
Henryrifle

Tags
airbag, cruise, flashing, light, srs