Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
What rear axle diff does my 2014 Pro-4X have and what oil does it use. Forums > > What rear axle diff does my 2014 Pro-4X have and what oil does it use. What rear axle diff does my 2014 Pro-4X have and what oil does it use.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 PM
2005 Xterra

Default What rear axle diff does my 2014 Pro-4X have and what oil does it use.

I have a 2014 Xterra Pro-4X, with automatic transmission and electric locking rear differential. The car is as it left the factory with no mods.

I'm trying to find out what the rear axle diff is. I think it should be a C200 or a M226? What's the difference between the two? Are either of them limited slip diffs?
What oil is used in each one?
All the documentation I have lists both diffs so I'm confused.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The M226 was used in the Pro-4X models. It's capacity is 4-1/4 pints. It calls for API GL-5 synthetic gear oil. The M226 has a 12-bolt cover, compared to 10 on the C200, and is a variant of the Dana 44 axle. The M226 is a limited-slip differential and an electronic locker was available on the Pro-4x, but I'm not sure if it was standard. You would have a button somewhere on the dash or console if you do have it. 2005-2007 M226 diffs had some reported failures of the spider gears, but it was corrected on 2008 and later models. Some consider the M226 a stronger diff, but both were actually pretty durable. Your front diff is an R180A with a 1-3/4 pint capacity and calls for API GL-5 80W90 gear oil, but you could use synthetic GL-5 75W90 in that, as well, without a problem.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM
2005 Xterra

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure my axle has a 12 bolt cover which makes it a M226. I will climb under the car this weekend and make sure.
My Pro 4X does have the "E-Lock" electric diff lock.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:57 AM
2005 Xterra

Default No limited slip diff on Xterra Pro-4X?

From research I have done it seems that the Xterra Pro-4X does not actually have a limited slip diff.
When the Pro-4X first came out some reviewers saw the "E-Lock" locking differential and called it a limited slip diff which is not true. The E-Lock has to be engaged and locks the differential meaning both rear wheels turn at the same speed irrespective of which one has most traction. Whereas a limited slip senses that one wheel is turning faster than the other (slipping) and transfers power to the other wheel.

Does this matter? Only in the lubricant I think. Limited Slip Diffs need a special oil or a friction modifier such as Amsoil "Slip Lock" to stop the diff clutches from chattering. I put straight GL5 gear oil in the LSD of a Mitsubishi Pajero I once owned and the diff chattered like mad on sharp turns. Changing the oil to Castrol LSD oil cured that problem.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I believe it has electronic limited slip, an ABS derived limited slip system that uses an open differential and limits slip by using the ABS system to lock the spinning wheel, which applies power the the wheel with the most traction. Overall, it works pretty well.

Tags
axle, diff, oil, pro-4x, rear