Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Service ngine Soon Light Forums > > Service ngine Soon Light Service ngine Soon Light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 05:38 PM
2006 Xterra

Default Service ngine Soon Light

A couple days ago my Service Engine Soon light came on. I took it to Autozone today and they let me use the diagnostic tool for it. I got the code P0420, which indicates that the Bank 1 Catalyst System efficiency was below threshold. The employee said, "Sorry man, you need a new Cat."
I have 2 questions, does anyone know about how much this will cost to replace?, and can I continue driving on it without damaging the engine/vehicle until I get it fixed?
Any knowledge would help, thanks!
Old 09-04-2018, 04:42 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Well, it "probably" needs a new converter. There are a number of things that can cause a P0420, from badly worn plugs to faulty oxygen sensors to exhaust leaks to over-lean or over-rich running conditions. They only way to be sure is to follow the service manual diagnostic steps for P0420. That said, converter failures are pretty common on vehicles with the VQ40DE engine. P0420 is for bank #1, which would be the upstream (or front) converter on the right (or passenger side). Cost estimate is hard to give because you don't give enough information, like whether you live in California or New York State and have California emissions certification? This will determine if you can go with a much less expensive, aftermarket converter, or if you have to have a C.A.R.B. certified or genuine Nissan converter. You also don't mention if you will be doing the work yourself or if a shop will do it? For a general estimate, you can use this tool:

Free Car Repair Estimate - Get Auto Repair Costs | RepairPal

If you are going to do it yourself and can use an aftermarket part, I would suggest Rockauto.com. I've used the Walker Ultra converter # 16467 on my 2006 Pathfinder and have had no problems, so far, with 30,000 miles on it. I would recommend Walker, Bosal or the Eastern Catalytic Eco III (which I will probably use when my left side goes out). I wouldn't recommend Pacesetter or the cheaper Davico model as I've run into problems with both. If the converter doesn't already come with gaskets or hardware, you will need them. You will also need flange gaskets for the back of the rear converters, which you will need to remove in order to install the upstream converter. I would also get some 10MM plastic fender liner clips as most of them will likely break when removing the fender liner to access the converter bolts.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:12 PM
2006 Xterra

Thanks for the info! I am unfortunately in CA, and I will have to take it to a shop to be repaired.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25 PM
2006 Xterra

I used the link you posted to get an estimate. One thing it mentioned was if it is the Catalytic converter that failed, to find out why it failed, otherwise the new one may fail as well. Is this going to get out of hand expense wise?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:59 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The catalytic converter on these vehicle typically fail because they become inefficient in breaking down the emissions. Sometimes they just become dirty and sometimes they fail because of an engine running issue, like a failing ignition coil. A drop of just 5% in its efficiency can sometime be enough to trigger the check engine light.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:48 PM
2006 Xterra

Oh, well that is very promising! It would be great if I only needed to fix the Cat and not another issue as well. Thank you for your help!

Tags
light, ngine, service