Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Timing Chain Kit Forums > > Timing Chain Kit Timing Chain Kit
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM
2007 Xterra
2004 Altima Sedan

Default Timing Chain Kit

Hello all. I'm changing my timing chain on my 2007 Xterra and wanted some little advice. I see Timing chain kits on Ebay and Amazon. I know some of you are going to suggest buying from the Dealer, but is that really necessary? If I can purchase an Aftermarket Kit, at a reasonable price, (Like under $200) which one should I purchase? I saw a Kit on Ebay by Carwiz that seemed reasonable with a water pump. Has anyone purchased one? Can someone give me some input on one please?
Old 06-30-2018, 08:26 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The problem with parts sold on Ebay is that there are a lot of Chinese counterfeits being sold there of low or poor quality. The last thing you want is for part of your new timing set to come apart and leave you with bent valves or worse! I went with genuine Nissan on my two Pathfinders. If I was going to go aftermarket, I would at least go with a name brand. Rockauto.com has a set by Cloyes for $252 that's worth considering. The have water pumps from Aisin and Hitachi, which are both OE suppliers to Nissan. One thing to keep in mind is that if the kit comes with the complete upper tensioner instead of just the tensioner face, it requires removal of the rear timing cover to install the complete, upper tensioner assembly. In the way that the Nissan TSB does it, they re-use the upper tensioner and just replace the plastic tensioner face. Also, if you don't want to remove the upper plenum and valve covers to do the job, then you'll need the ring gear stopper tool.

Tags
chain, kit, timing