Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
'13 cranking but not starting... Forums > > '13 cranking but not starting... '13 cranking but not starting...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM
2013 Xterra

Default '13 cranking but not starting...

Well, it's happened to me.

I did a pinion seal replacement last night on the X. Once completed, started up the X and drove it 100 yrds to my door yard.

This morning, went to start it and it would not start. It cranks fine.

I shot a couple of shots of starting fluid into the throttle body just to see if it was a fuel problem but absolutely no change leading me to believe it's not the fuel system.
Question:
On these Xs, would starting fluid work at least temporarily if it were a fuel problem?

If the fuel system is okay, what would be a good way to begin diagnosing the ignition circuit?

All fuses that I can find seem okay. There is a fuse panel behind the glove box door to the right and did not find a bad fuse there.
I've located two separate boxes with circuit breakers under the hood and have not actually test any breakers or relays there.

Right now, I am going to go to my other shop and grab some tools, meters and a circuit tester. Can anyone help with ideas?? I am a bit in panic mode. This is our only "GOOD" car.

By the way, is there a separate fuel filter on these '13s beside the "strainer" in the tank? The manual says no.

Update:
I am going to try and reset the ECU and will try it then. I have a feeling it has nothing to do with the fuel system now.

2nd Update:
I've reset the ECU with no luck.

Ralph

Last edited by truckmen; 11-09-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added updates
Old 11-09-2017, 11:40 AM
2013 Xterra

Update:

Hello all,

This is an update:

Good news - after all day long, I've got the X started!

First, I plugged in an OBD-II reader and pulled the following code:
U0100 Lost Communication With ECM/PCM "A"

While looking up what it would cost for a replacement and after the initial sticker shock, my father-in-law suggested I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, re-connect and try starting it.
I did that (actually disconnected the negative terminal) and it still wouldn't start but, because I've been at this all day, the battery was starting to slow down. So, I grabbed my 660 Jump Box and connected up the leads. The X started right up!
Now, here's what I think is happening. My positive terminal has corrosion on it, quite a bit in fact but I have a feeling that among the leads off the positive side, there is one for the starting circuit and one for the ECM and other circuits. Could it be that the lead for the starting circuit was making a good contact hence the fast cranking but the other lead had a bad connection somewhere causing the engine to have no communication with the ECM??

What are your thoughts?
I am going to clean this contacts like I've never cleaned battery contacts and see where this puts me.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
Update:

So, I grabbed my 660 Jump Box and connected up the leads. The X started right up!
Now, here's what I think is happening. My positive terminal has corrosion on it, quite a bit in fact but I have a feeling that among the leads off the positive side, there is one for the starting circuit and one for the ECM and other circuits.
What are your thoughts?
I am going to clean this contacts like I've never cleaned battery contacts and see where this puts me.
Yup! you're correct to clean battery post/cable terminal of gunk. Also be sure battery cable strands are not eaten up by corrosion. Sulfation - yes that's what its called, that build up of gunk on battery post. If you took Voltage Drop on that gunk up battery post I wouldn't be surprise voltage has drop 1v - 1.5v, so that even if you have a new battery at 12.6v and you loose 1.5v, it would not be enough to turn the engine over. Great job.

Tags
cranking, starting