Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2000 Xterra Transmission Shift Problem 2nd to 3rd Gear Forums > > 2000 Xterra Transmission Shift Problem 2nd to 3rd Gear 2000 Xterra Transmission Shift Problem 2nd to 3rd Gear
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 AM
2000 Xterra
2013 Juke

Default 2000 Xterra Transmission Shift Problem 2nd to 3rd Gear

I have a 2000 Xterra 3.3 liter 4 speed transmission. The problem I am having is the engine revs up (500-1000 rpm) when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. It ONLY revs up shifting between these 2 gears and ONLY at low speeds (10-30 km/hr). Transmission shop said tranny needed rebuilding, I went one better and replaced the tranny with a different tranny that was serviced, inspected and tested by a different tranny shop. Exact same problem the second I drove out of the parking lot! This makes me think it is not a tranny problem, the odds of getting 2 transmissions with this exact problem are huge. Recently replaced the throttle position sensor with a NAPA brand and wasn't able to adjust it properly so I took it to the dealership where they adjusted it. Left the dealership and the shifting problem was gone for about 50 kms then it started doing it again. HELP!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:06 PM
2001 Xterra

I am experiencing the same thing and was hoping you could post the results of this. Please let us know
Old 06-11-2018, 08:34 PM
2000 Xterra
2013 Juke

Default 2000 Xterra Transmission Shift Problem 2nd to 3rd Gear

I never ever heard anything from anyone. So far i have just been living with it. Took it to a dealership and they were baffled! VERY FRUSTRATING. PLEASE do not forget me if you find the problem.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM
2001 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
I have a 2000 Xterra 3.3 liter 4 speed transmission. The problem I am having is the engine revs up (500-1000 rpm) when the transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. It ONLY revs up shifting between these 2 gears and ONLY at low speeds (10-30 km/hr). Transmission shop said tranny needed rebuilding, I went one better and replaced the tranny with a different tranny that was serviced, inspected and tested by a different tranny shop. Exact same problem the second I drove out of the parking lot! This makes me think it is not a tranny problem, the odds of getting 2 transmissions with this exact problem are huge. Recently replaced the throttle position sensor with a NAPA brand and wasn't able to adjust it properly so I took it to the dealership where they adjusted it. Left the dealership and the shifting problem was gone for about 50 kms then it started doing it again. HELP!
I had the same issue but just got it fixed as of yesterday it was the ctps Closed Throttle Position Sensor and the Throttle position sensor.... Same sensor different pigtails. Anywho i did a re-ringing job and while the plenim was off tbe car someone took the liberty to take off the throttle body to paint it because it was ugly. At first i had your symptomatic shifting errors at low speed. First thought was the strawberry milkshake of death we all hear about but nope. The TPS sensor triggered the mil light. I got the service manuals and alldata and being a diy type guy i twisted this screw and tightened that one. By the way i ill advise that method. Well i got the tps to fall into range then i got a shift code error and a ctps error. I guess you dont just take the sensor hook up your multi tester and set it and forget it. You first have to reset the accelerator pedal then the closed throttle position sensor reset or everything you do is in vein. If you want an actuall easy to follow no Consult way go to AZ website and put your vehicle info and look it up under repairs, engine control sysytems, reseting steps. Hope it helps a d works for you as it did mine

Tags
2000, 2nd, 3rd, gear, problem, shift, transmission, xterra