Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Very frustrated! Forums > > Very frustrated! Very frustrated!
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 09:51 AM
2000 Xterra

Default Very frustrated!

I have a 2000 xterra. It first had a knock sensor code come up,I replaced that,it was still running rough when it warmed up so I took it to a mechanic that said both of my cadillac converters were bad. I replaced both exhaust manifolds and the Cadillac converters ($1200). All said and done it STILL runs terribly. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! ?
Old 04-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Neither of the parts you have replaced is known to affect the engine performance. The Catalytic Converter could affect the engine performance, but it's not likely to do it.

If your mechanic said that the problem was the Catalytic Converter and that didn't fix the problem, then he should give you the money back or try to fix it for free. He has to take some responsibility for the wrong diagnosis.

Unfortunately, there are many things that could cause the engine to run rough. Since I don't know the conditions of your Xterra or what you have done, here is a least of the most likely cause.

- Spark plugs and wires
- Oil level (make sure the engine is not over fill)
- Fuel quality
- Fuel Injectors
- Distributor
- Air Filter
Old 04-14-2017, 12:23 PM
2000 Xterra

My mechanic put the xterra on the scope and said there was an issue with the distributor ,and a barometric sensor was chattering. Am I being milked?
Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschaos21069 View Post
My mechanic put the xterra on the scope and said there was an issue with the distributor ,and a barometric sensor was chattering. Am I being milked?
Is that the same mechanic? He's may correct with the distributor, we have replaced many distributors for rough idle problems.

Tags
frustrated