Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Power steering fluid leak Forums > > Power steering fluid leak Power steering fluid leak
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 10-23-2016, 05:03 PM
2005 Xterra
2005 xterra

Default Power steering fluid leak

I've noticed small drops of fluid leaking from front drivers side,it's dripping from the point where the rack and pinion meets the steering shaft, the boots on the rack and pinion aren't busted but the top shaft looks like something is missing because I can see a little plastic piece that's sitting on top of the bolt ,it's on the shaft but I can slid it up and down. Is there supposed to be something enclosing that area? That's where the fluid is dripping from. Any insight would help,I'm trying to stop the leak but would rather not have to buy a new rack and pinion.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:21 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

The shaft you mentioned is the Pinion which meshed with the steering gear inside the rack. In turn it is connected to the end of the steering shaft inside the cabin and held down with a pinch bolt. There is a plastic cover. If the leak is in that area may be a worn seal if you know how to rebuild it. Most likely you will need a new steering gear and linkage (nissan term) aka rack and pinion steering gear. Try power steering fluid with stop leak, it might buy you a few months before you eventually have to replace it.

FYI: My steering gear went bust over 2 weeks ago. I decided to buy a new instead of reman rack and pinion by AAE (rockauto.com) with no Core Charge. This part is not cheap. Our local napa or oreilly parts stores $400. not counting Core charge because we just swap. I also decided to replace the High Pressure Hose and outer tie rod. The new steering gear comes with the new inner tie rods already installed.
Old 10-31-2016, 04:24 PM
2005 Xterra
2005 xterra

[MENTION=122991]bennyb53[/MENTION]
Thanks for your input and advice,I'm going to try the stop leak and lean towards replacing it soon.

Tags
fluid, leak, power, steering