Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2008 Xterra Off Road Rear Axle Seal Forums > > 2008 Xterra Off Road Rear Axle Seal 2008 Xterra Off Road Rear Axle Seal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 05:49 PM
2008 Xterra

Default 2008 Xterra Off Road Rear Axle Seal

I have a 2008 Nissan Xterra Off Road Automatic and the right rear axle seal is leaking. The leak soaked the Parking brakes and disc brake pads. It also has a howl when you apply the accelerator pedal at highway speeds.

I'm planning on replacing the right rear axle assembly since its toast. Should I also replace the driver's side axle assembly while I'm at it? I know it cost more. Trying to do some preventive maintenance at 108,000 miles.

Also, are the replacement parts in the technical bulletin improved parts or the same OEM parts that came on it from the factory? Wondering if this will happen again.

Anything else I should check or inspect while Im doing this service?

Adam
Old 08-03-2016, 03:45 PM
2015 Rogue

If you have a howl while you are accelerating you probably have a bad pinion bearing also. You have to remove the pinion to inspect it. You will usually see damage on the bearing race.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM
2008 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
If you have a howl while you are accelerating you probably have a bad pinion bearing also. You have to remove the pinion to inspect it. You will usually see damage on the bearing race.

Thanks for the info MPE235. Do you recommend a diff service while working on the rear end? Also, do you recommend replacing both axle assemblies instead of just the leaking one?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:02 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stman View Post
Thanks for the info MPE235. Do you recommend a diff service while working on the rear end? Also, do you recommend replacing both axle assemblies instead of just the leaking one?
If it was my vehicle I would do the bearings and seals, not the entire axle assembly. I haven't noticed a difference in the new parts and it is less expensive. If you are going to check the pinion bearing then you will have to remove the other axle so yes you should replace that seal and bearing while you are in there. The fluid and differential breather should also be replaced.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 AM
2008 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
If it was my vehicle I would do the bearings and seals, not the entire axle assembly. I haven't noticed a difference in the new parts and it is less expensive. If you are going to check the pinion bearing then you will have to remove the other axle so yes you should replace that seal and bearing while you are in there. The fluid and differential breather should also be replaced.
Makes sense. Good advice. My only confusion is based on the technical bulletin. I was under the impression the axle assemble needed to be replaced because the seals caused a groove in the axle causing the leak. If I only replace the bearing and seal won't the leak come back since the axle isn't at its original spec/ diameter? Sounds like you encountered this before and didn't see any difference between original and replacement parts.
Any further info is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:15 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1stman View Post
Makes sense. Good advice. My only confusion is based on the technical bulletin. I was under the impression the axle assemble needed to be replaced because the seals caused a groove in the axle causing the leak. If I only replace the bearing and seal won't the leak come back since the axle isn't at its original spec/ diameter? Sounds like you encountered this before and didn't see any difference between original and replacement parts.
Any further info is greatly appreciated.
You will be able to see if there is damage when you get the old seal and bearing off.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:09 PM
1994 Xterra

Default Rear axle seals 2nd gen xterras....

Nissan in their wisdom chose to put a poor excuse for a rear differential vent. The vent is just a check-valve instead of a hose-type of vent as is on North-American vehicles. The current vent is only a $20.00 part that will seize after a year or two....taking out the rear seals with it.I caught mine in time and made up a vent with a pipe-thread type fitting with a hose mounted up under frame so water cannot get in. There is a kit you can get if you dont want to make up your own. It is approx. $35.00. I would check this vent on any vehicles equipped with the mickey-mouse check valve type. .....ps......shame on Nissan for putting this type of vent on this unit....hope this helps

Tags
2008, axle, rear, road, seal, xterra