Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
P0717 and P0734 codes. 2010 Xterra help. Forums > > P0717 and P0734 codes. 2010 Xterra help. P0717 and P0734 codes. 2010 Xterra help.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 08:07 AM
2010 Xterra

Exclamation P0717 and P0734 codes. 2010 Xterra help.

I've been looking for solutions to this everywhere and I keep seeing different answers like the turbine revolution sensor is under the car or on top or inside the transmission. I decided to come here to give it a shot maybe someone has had this before. My mom just started getting problems with her Xterra yesterday. Right before she was arriving home the truck lost power and the truck would barely drive. She managed to get home and I told her not to turn it off so I went through all the gears and it wouldn't budge it died right as soon as she managed to enter the driveway. I turned it off and on and all the gears started working. She hasn't used it since then, since she is scared it might happen again and she almost had an accident when it suddenly lost power. I've have heard that a transmission drop may be necessary but no way we could afford even half of what I've seen people say that it may be around 800-1000 dollars . I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that and the info was wrong and maybe the sensor is somewhere visible that I don't know where it is. Any help would be great!
Old 06-18-2016, 12:54 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The P0717 code refers to a problem with either the turbine revolution sensor or it's circuit and the P0734 code is likely a result of that problem. The only way to be sure is to download a factory service manual and perform the appropriate diagnostic steps for a P0717 code. Most likely, it is the sensor, itself, and it is Nissan P/N 31935-97X00 if your production date is within the range of 07/2008-07/2010; if it is 07/2010 or later, it will be 31935-1XJ0A. Either lists for $177, but you can get it from an online dealer for around $130+shipping (try CourtesyParts.com or NissanPartsDeal.com). It is located in the transmission case above the TCM/valve body assembly, meaning the trans pan will need to be removed, the TCM/valve body assembly will need to be removed and then you will see the sensor mounted with a 10MM head bolt; the sensor has a long harness that will need to be routed to the connector. So, you will also need a new trans pan gasket (31397-90X0A) and probably around 6-7 quarts of Nissan-matic Type "S" ATF or equivalent (Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle ATF and Valvoline Maxlife ATF are two good, less expensive options. I use the Valvoline on my R51 Pathfinders). Nissan also recommends replacing the trans pan bolts (31377-41X60) as they are coated with a sealant; there are 22 of them. The trans pan drain plug gasket is 11026-01M02.
If you plant to do this yourself, make sure you remove only the bolts necessary to lower the valve body (and do so in a relatively clean environment) and, during installation, torque the bolts to the proper specification and in the specified order. Again, download a factory service manual!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 AM
2010 Xterra

I just saw your message thanks for responding, didn't think anyone would respond. I had already changed the transmission fluid but now I don't get the P0717 code. The transmission fluid hadn't been changed since 2010 when she got it so yeah :/. However I still get the P0734 about 4th gear having the incorrect ratio. I seem to have just a bit to much trans fluid not sure if that is causing the problems going to siphon it out somehow or maybe just take drain plug off and let some drop then add trans fluid again at the right level. I've been looking for a service manual and the one I found just mentioned to do what I did well except installing a new drain gasket plug. What do you think I should do; could do extra trans fluid be actually causing the code? The car still gets problems but it isn't as bad as the beginning where it wouldn't budge. Now from time to time the service light comes on and then the car I guess goes into 3rd gear so when the truck stops it has trouble accelerating from being such a high gear I guess. I've heard that with this code the trans goes into a limp home mode and stays in 3rd gear. I can temporarily fix this by turning the truck off and on and the trans works fine again.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:12 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I don't know how much is "too much." On a typical drain and fill, this trans will take about one gallon of ATF, sometimes a little less. It works out good because I can get the Valvoline Maxlife ATF in a gallon jug for $17.50 from Walmart, about half of what it would cost if I used the Nissan-matic "S." It's still possible that the revolution sensor is the problem, but just may be harder to trigger than the P0734. It does sound like you are getting put into limp mode by your description. So, what do you do now? I would drain a little fluid out to get it to the correct level, erase the codes and see what happens. If you still get just the P0734 code, then the service manual has a diagnostic procedure for that, as well, although it will be a bit more involved than the one for the P0717 code and may require a capable scan tool to view datastream info. Another thing you could do is that knowing you had the P0717 code and the "possibility" exists that you have a bad revolution sensor, you could take a gamble on replacing the sensor in hopes of fixing the problem. Of course, if it doesn't work, you'll be out around $200 (and your time) and will still have to do the P0734 diagnosis. There have been a few bad revolution sensors talked about on D40 Frontiers and Titans in other forums, which have the same transmission model. You'll have to decide if the gamble is worth it or to just proceed with the P0734 diagnostics...or, take it to a reputable trans shop.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:41 PM
2010 Xterra

Alright man thanks I'll try to drain out some. Tried siphoning it with those hand pumps Autozone sells but didn't work, didn't want to have to jack the car up again. I'll have to get under again and drain it through the trans drain plug. Thanks man I hope it is just the overfilling. It is a long shot and it could be the sensor which could be another shot that may miss but fingers crossed.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:08 PM
2010 Xterra

Ok so it's definitely the sensor. I got the trans fluid level down and the sensor comes up in the codes here and there. Do you know how much longer can I keep it driving like this? I will need to save up money for the sensor and everything else. Kind of worry if the car will be damaged from driving it like this. Will the sensor eventually die out or something? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I'm not trying to be a "smart-ass" when I say this, even though it may sound like it, but, I cannot predict the future. I could last for months and be fine...or it could break down tomorrow.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 PM
2010 Xterra

Its cool. It is a silly question to ask. I'm just grasping at straws here being worried. Thanks for all the help man, appreciate it.

Tags
2010, codes, p0717, p0734, xterra