Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
What to do before removing distributor, I need to install new one Forums > > What to do before removing distributor, I need to install new one What to do before removing distributor, I need to install new one
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 04:07 PM
2000 Xterra
2000 Xterra SE 4WD 3.3

Default What to do before removing distributor, I need to install new one

Hello Everyone, I am new to this forum and am having some trouble making a repair, I need to replace the distributor and I dont know how to make sure I line up the new one just like the old one was. Everyone says mark everything on the distributor so you will know where to line up the new one. Im going to take it out so Im not sure I understand the process. Any help would be awesome. Thanks CODY
Old 06-10-2015, 06:43 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

The Engine Mechnical manual has the procedures. Manuals are in Knowledge base section at the top of the dropdown menu. You can also search on you tube if you want to watch a video.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

The splines on the distributor drive gear are on an angle, so when you pull up on the distributor, the rotor will turn (some will happen as you install it). So, unplug the distributor and remove the cap. Use a Sharpie to mark the rotor position on the distributor base. Also, put a mark where the hold down bolt is within the adjustment slot. Remove the hold down bolt and pull straight up without turning the base of the distributor (the rotor will turn as you pull up). Once the distributor is removed, mark the location of the rotor on the base. Make similar marks in the exact same locations on the new distributor. As you lower the distributor, the rotor should be in the position of the second mark. As the drive gear engages the cam as you install the distributor, the rotor will turn and when the distributor is fully seated and the base is line up with the hold down bolt hole, the rotor should now be pointing at the first mark. Install the hold down bolt, cap, plug it in and start the engine. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature and adjust the timing with a timing light per the service manual instructions.

Tags
awesome, cody, distributor, line, understand, install, removing