Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Weird chirp Forums > > Weird chirp Weird chirp
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-09-2014, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
2012 Xterra
2012 NISSAN XTERRA

Question Weird chirp

12. 23k miles. PRO4X. For a few weeks now i noticed a FAINT chirping noise. Can be heard inside the vehicle. Sound is up front. Engine i believe. No rhyme or reason. At times it takes a long warm up. Other times not. Does not change with speed or hvac controls. Faint, but can be heard. I was thinking belt or tensioner at this point. Ran it past the dealer this week. As luck would have it, took a tech out for a drive. We both heard it. He thought it sounded wind related? Had it 4.5 hours. Looked it over top to bottom. Only thing he could relate it to was a missing clip behind the drivers side bumper fashia!! REALLY? He thinks it is moving causing the chirp. I go in on monday to have it put in. I think its really reaching, but everything else was checked? IDEAS?

Again this is faint. You have to have the windows up to hear it.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 PM
2015 Rogue

I have seen the rubber hood bumpers cause a chirp or squeek noise on rough roads. Try lubricating the top of them to see if the noise goes away.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Enthusiast
2012 Xterra
2012 NISSAN XTERRA

Checked and lubed. Not the issue. Going down now to have the missing clip installed. I really will not know till my drive to work this afternoon, if that was it. Have my doubts.....
Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Enthusiast
2012 Xterra
2012 NISSAN XTERRA

Proves how hard sounds can be hard to track down! First off, 100% credit to my dealer for taking the time to find this one. Took it in monday to have the missing bumper clip installed. Waited. Well, thats not it. We are taking you home. And we will find it! I called back before work to see whats up. WE FOUND IT. After using a machine to detect rattles and squeaks, taping up all the gaps and even removing bug shield, it's your drivers side ROOF LIGHT COVER!! We found the magnet corroded, and it was just leaving enough gap to catch wind and cause the noise. REALLY? Yep. We removed it. Drove it. NO MORE NOISE. So ordered one. Came in friday. Went down and popped it on and did the paper work. Then went to work. Guess what? NO MORE NOISE. Every thing was covered under warranty. I would have passed out other wise. Total time was 10 hours to find it, plus the light cover and bumper clip (that i needed anyway) Again, i have a really outstanding dealer that took the time to hunt and kill this chirp.

Tags
chirp, weird