Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
10 Year Old Spark Plug Swap? Forums > > 10 Year Old Spark Plug Swap? 10 Year Old Spark Plug Swap?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Xterra

Default 10 Year Old Spark Plug Swap?

2002 Canadian-spec Xterra SE 4WD w/3.3l normally aspirated V6...Which I bought in 2003 w/6000 kilometers on it...Still has original spark plugs in it...

I just completed changing the water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and all 3 drive belts...

I started to pull #1 spark plug out to make the above job easier...It didn't want to budge...By working it back & forth [tighten/loosen], I managed (I think) to get it to untighten about 3/4 turn...I was afraid I would strip the hole if I forced it any more, so I tightened it back up and turned the motor over by brute force...(Not a hard job)...left all other plugs alone...

I have six new plugs I would like to put in. What would be the best way to get the old plugs out without stripping the holes???

BTW: The water pump/timing belt swap was at 215,542km/133,636mi...Xterra ran fine but I was worried about the timing belt breaking as Nissan recommends replacing it at 105,000mi...The old belt still looks new...(The 3 drive belts were all cracked)...

The SUV still runs/starts fine...But needs a new exhaust x-pipe & rear muffler/pipe...My next job...

Thank You!!!

Last edited by richie328; 08-08-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: spel chekr
Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Xterra ran fine but I was worried about the timing belt breaking as Nissan recommends replacing it at 105,000mi...
That was a good idea. We have work on Xterras with 2 broken timing belts in the last month, neither one damage the engine tough.

Quote:
have six new plugs I would like to put in. What would be the best way to get the old plugs out without stripping the holes???
Start by blowing all the dirt inside the spark plugs holds. Remove the cables and blow compressed air to get all the dirt out. The you can add some WD40 and let it sit for a few hours, then start removing the plugs very slowly. Two turns out and one back in. The plugs on your Xterra can get really bad, and you should replaced it ever 60K miles.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast
2002 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Start by blowing all the dirt inside the spark plugs holds. Remove the cables and blow compressed air to get all the dirt out. The you can add some WD40 and let it sit for a few hours, then start removing the plugs very slowly. Two turns out and one back in. The plugs on your Xterra can get really bad, and you should replaced it ever 60K miles.
Thank You for your help!

The #1 plug was the hardest. I ran the motor (on errands) for about an hour, blew out the holes, sprayed some PB Blaster in the holes, and turned out/turned in the plugs...All 5 came out...I found that if the plug 'squeaked' it meant it was coming out OK...

I'm attaching a pic of the old #1 plug...Looks pretty good for 133,636 miles...

Yes...All 5...The 6th one (of course the one at the firewall) I couldn't even see, couldn't even get my hand in to pull the plug boot off...I have several instructions on how to set up the two six inch extensions + socket to get the plug out, but right now I can't get to it...

Any suggestions??? I'm stumped...
Attached Thumbnails
10 Year Old Spark Plug Swap?-x-plug-jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Enthusiast
2002 Xterra

I Searched this and other Forums, got a bunch of tips, and today I got that 6th spark plug changed.

Here's what I did -

1. Blow out the back of the engine with an air hose. Now remove the hood. Oh come on!!! It's only 4 bolts and a w/w hose!!! What I did to make it easier to get back on was to drill two "D" letter iize holes through each hinge & hood and cut the threads off a 2" socket head cap screw so I could quickly align the hood hinges when I replaced it.

2. Now I could lay on top of the manifold and get my hands in the space between the manifold and the firewall, after I unbolted several brackets holding throttle cables, ABS lines, and a vacuum hose. I used a cut up large cardboard box to lay on. Here's the brackets I removed/moved.

3. I used two 6" x 3/8" drive extensions and a 3/8" x 5/8" universal spark plug socket with a 3/8" universal between the two 6" extensions. I duct-taped all these together. I used a 1/2" ratchet with a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for breaking the plug loose.

4. Pushing all the cables, wires, hoses and brackets out of the way, I was able to get my left hand in an opening behind the passenger side manifold -

- and feel the plug wire, and by pulling the lead with both hands get it off. I could just feel the top of the spark plug to guide the socket down to it, and tap it in place with my hand. I put a piece of scrap wood between the firewall and the extension, pressing the extension up against the manifold, and applied pressure to the ratchet. It came loose, and alternately tightening/untightening it for a few turns, it came free. When it starts squeaking, you know it's good to come out.

5. I never-seized the new plug, and guided it down to the area where the hole was (I couldn't see the hole itself) with the socket/extensions. Turning it in by hand, with the extension tilted slightly back and to the left, it went in easily. Tighten it up, re-attach the plug wire, pushing down until you hear/feel it click in place on the plug. Remember to angle the lead back & to the left also or it won't go on..

6. Reassemble all brackets, hoses, and clips, and start it up and check it out. Shut it off, put a couple old rags or cardboard above where the hood hinges are, put the hood on top of the engine, and prop it up in place with an old broomstick or board. Start all 4 hood hinge bolts, then stick the SHCS pins in the drilled holes and then tighten all 4 bolts down and remove the SHCS pins. Replace the w/w hose and it's done.

Not as hard as I thought it would be. :)

Tags
plug, spark, swap, year