Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
What's with the sensors? Forums > > What's with the sensors? What's with the sensors?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 AM
2007 Xterra

Default What's with the sensors?

I had over 1/2 million miles on my Nissans (Pathfinders and Xterra) and every major repair that was needed was linked to a malfunctioning sensor. The cars ran without problems except for the damned sensors. In one case it cost me $2300 to "repair" a vehicle in which the only problem was the sensor. For that reason, after totaling my most recent Xterra in early January (ironically, the air bags did not deploy in spite of an [COLOR="rgb(139, 0, 0)"]impact in excess of 40 mph[/COLOR] and there was no sensor light indicating a problem that actually did exist) I have for the first time in 20 years chosen a replacement vehicle that was not a Nissan.

There are several factors that led to this decision, because I did contact several dealers to look for a Nissan replacement, either a Juke or an Xterra.
The following were considerations in my decision:
1)requirement for premium gas in the Juke
2)lack of availability of manual transmission
3)previous costly repairs due to sensor, not mechanical, issues
4)extremely low gas mileage as compared to other vehicles

Finally, Nissan makes workhorse SUV's that have taken me off-road to my favorite hunting and fishing spots over the last 20 yrs. I will miss that reliability and toughness.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

It's tough to beat the reliability of the older Xterras with the VG33E engine. Wasn't big on power or gas mileage, but a lot less problems and easier to work on!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:36 AM
2007 Xterra

Default True that

I have no complaints about the mechanics of the vehicle. It never left me stranded no matter where I drove it. I actually used it to go off road, unlike those who used it as the family station wagon.
As I said, my change was precipitated by the sensor issue. The one that I totaled has a "fuel gauge sending" error reading which occurred right after I hit 100K miles. Several mechanics try to convince me that sooner or later the car would stop dead, well up and until the last turn of the engine fuel was making it to the engine. One honest mechanic told me it was most probably the fuel gauge float in the tank. In order to pass inspect I would reset the light drive 50+ miles, not fill the tank, and get it inspected.
I really enjoyed that car, too bad it died before its time.

Tags
sensors