Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Buy or not buy again? Forums > > Buy or not buy again? Buy or not buy again?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM
2003 Xterra

Default Buy or not buy again?

I owned a 2003 SE/SC Xterra up until Wednesday night when it got totalled (I pretty sure).

My question is: Do I buy another one? We are talking about something between the 2006 and 2009 model.

We are looking at other options. But I coming back the the X...maybe I bumped my head worse that I thought.

So,

What are the major problems that seem to be systemic to this version of the X?

Should I be aware of certain things when inspecting the vehicle, such as rust or paint?

Any particular engine or transmission I need to avoid?

Has Nissan quality improved since the 2003 I had?

What's the worst thing about owning on of these? and

What do you like the best?

I endured all those problems typical of the 2003 SE/SC. The cracked manifolds, knock sensor, loss of low end power, the premium fuel, paint, abysmal fuel economy, wonky O2 sensors, A/C coolant leakage, pitiful dealership service, well...you get the picture.

But I will say this: it has done everything we expected of it. Including being fully loaded with camping gear, being fully loaded with camping gear AND towing a 13' Boler travel trailer. Other than the above problems, it has been thoroughly reliable and never left use stranded (except for the alternator...but luckily that was in our driveway). It soldiered on for almost 230,000 kms (143,000 miles).

It was a love/hate relationship at times, I admit.

But when my X was totalled, I walked away with just a couple of scratches. My X died so I could live.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

I have an 05 with 112000 miles and have only done 1 repair. I replaced the blower motor. The rest has been scheduled maintenance. It is a 2 wheel drive with the automatic. There is a known problem with the trans cooler leaking and the engine coolant getting into the transmission. I have not had the problem but it can ruin a transmission. The manuals are unaffected. You can run 87 octane with all the 05 and ups and I get 15/20 city/highway. They are beefier than the 04 and earlier models. The frame is completely different. The only other things to note are that Nissans tend to have battery terminal corrosion issues. I believe it is from inadequate grounding but it may just be cheap terminals. The bottom line is it is a better vehicle than your old one and I would take a good look at it before you write it off.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

PS glad you are ok after the wreck

Tags
buy