Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Air Fuel Sensors - 4th time replacing / check engine light Forums > > Air Fuel Sensors - 4th time replacing / check engine light Air Fuel Sensors - 4th time replacing / check engine light
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM
cli4d36p

Default Air Fuel Sensors - 4th time replacing / check engine light

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra S Model 2WD Automatic. About 3 years into ownership I got a check engine light indication and when it got checked out the dealer said it was the Air/Fuel Sensor. The code they got advised them to remove and replace the sensor. Since this time the light has come back on a bunch of times, every time saying its the air/fuel sensor. I am now on my 4th air/fuel sensor and have expressed my concern to the dealer that there must be something else going on here, beyond just a faulty air/fuel sensor. They agreed but have not really given me the feeling they are going to be able to figure out what else it may be. Can anyone shed some light on the possible causes for the check engine light coming on indicating an air fuel sensor fault? My warranty is going to run out soon and then I'm stuck with a bill for this. I have no reason to believe this problem will go away by simply replacing the sensor. 4th time and counting...
Old 11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
2015 Rogue

Have them check for an exhaust leak at or near the catalytic converter for that bank.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:17 PM
cli4d36p

Default New updates

Hi,

They ended up replacing both A/F sensors for that bank... That was code P0031. Less than a week later (now) my check engine light went back on again, I went to autozone to see what it was and it is P2A03 - apparantly another A/F sensor code. I looked through my service receipts history, I had this exact code in June 2010 and they replaced both A/F sensors back then.

Here is the history for my Xterra with respect to A/F ratio sensor codes: It appears it has only been 3 times per my records, however I think I'm missing a receipt or two. I will have the dealer check the intake and exhaust if they can, but what else should I be concerned about?

Jun 2010: P2A03 B2,S1 - Replaced both A/F ratio sensors, reprogrammed ECM
Nov 2010: P0A03 ??,?? - Replaced A/F sensor
Apr 2011: Check Engine light was on but then went off prior to taking it in
Nov 2011: P0031 B1,S1- Replaced both A/F sensors
Nov 2011: P2A03 B2,S1 - Taking in tomorrow
Old 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

I agree with mpe235, definitely have them check for exhaust leak.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
cli4d36p

What are the potential negative side effects of an exhaust leak or an intake leak? Could that damage my engine? Or just affect gas mileage?

Anything else I should request them checking?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 PM
2005 Xterra

Default Air Fuel sensor Code P1273

same issue on my 05 Xterra DTC code under P1273 air/fuel sensor.. i replaced both driver and passenger Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1 i even replaced catalytic converter both upstream and downstream again it does not clear the code after spending so much money on parts.. i pretty much doing everything on my own, after numerous research i'd finally got some or at least a potential answer why the code would not go away? Nissan issued a SERVICE BULLETIN under NTB04-126 on OCT of 2004 this applied to P1273/P1283 or P1274/P1284 all of those codes under AIR FUEL SENSOR lean or rich shift.. it say's once you've replaced the bad O2 either bank 1 bank 2 sensor 1 sensor 2 you would have to bring the car to Nissan to clear them due to only the nissan dealer has the sophisticated machine and trained technician the would allowed them to re learn the ECU to a factory default by not disconnecting the battery nor clearing it by using a scanner machine. as per the bulletin all NISSAN DEALER should have known these issued.. i will take my car to nissan dealer next week and will advise hopefully these would work.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by paknoy View Post
same issue on my 05 Xterra DTC code under P1273 air/fuel sensor.. i replaced both driver and passenger Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensor 1 i even replaced catalytic converter both upstream and downstream again it does not clear the code after spending so much money on parts.. i pretty much doing everything on my own, after numerous research i'd finally got some or at least a potential answer why the code would not go away? Nissan issued a SERVICE BULLETIN under NTB04-126 on OCT of 2004 this applied to P1273/P1283 or P1274/P1284 all of those codes under AIR FUEL SENSOR lean or rich shift.. it say's once you've replaced the bad O2 either bank 1 bank 2 sensor 1 sensor 2 you would have to bring the car to Nissan to clear them due to only the nissan dealer has the sophisticated machine and trained technician the would allowed them to re learn the ECU to a factory default by not disconnecting the battery nor clearing it by using a scanner machine. as per the bulletin all NISSAN DEALER should have known these issued.. i will take my car to nissan dealer next week and will advise hopefully these would work.
When the sensors were replaced the self learn should have been cleared. It resets the base value so the ecm can relearn with the new sensors.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
2005 Xterra

yeah, but it does not clear the DTC code...

Tags
4th, air, check, engine, fuel, light, ratio, replacing, sensor, sensors, time