Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Noise under distributor Forums > > Noise under distributor Noise under distributor
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
TimeTo4X4

Default Noise under distributor

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. great forum hope I can help out and get help!

I have read numerous thread about this but can't not get the right answer. I just bought a used 2002 Nissan Xterra XE 4X4 automatic. Everything that needs to be fixed or flushed has been done at a shop. But there is one problem that no one can figure out. When the car is on idle the car sounds fine most of the times. otherwise, i can hear a ting noise here and there. When the rpm is low, gassing gently, or low speed you can here "ting ting or something flapping" diesel like sound. somewhat like bearings or something. tried using long rod like to amplify the sound by putting one end to the distributor and the other next to my ear. tried changing the distributor but the sound is still there. some people said it could be timing belt but the car has 165k miles and the person who i bought it from said that it had been changed and i do believe belt has been changed since it is has 165k miles. I described it to another mechanic over the phone and he thinks from what i'm saying it might have something to do with the engine. For sure it is not the distributor, my mechanic said it can't be headers or heat shield because the sound that's making is not the sound of a header or heat shield. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Hello TimeTo4x4

The noise is very common, but I believe is just as designed and there is nothing that can be done. My 04 Xterra makes the same noise and I have a friend that replaced timing belt, distributor and other things and the noise was still there.

On my xterra I can only hear the noise with the hood open and standing in front of the engine. How bad is the noise on your xterra? can you hear it inside the cabin?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
TimeTo4X4

NissanTech,

I can hera it inside the cabin. When I start the engine and the weather is cold the "ting" noise is loud until the RPM gets lower or I put into gear and the RPM drops. I feel as if it does get worse as I drive it. Seeme louder than the first day I got it. Someone told me maybe check the valves if the noise comes under the distributor. I wont have time to take my X to another mechanic I know until next week. I'll have him check it out and let you guys know what's going on if I find anything new.

I want to get my X ready before I hit the snow. if my all wheel doesnt work atleast I can use chains but if my engine breaks... I would be stuck in the snow.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

If is that loud it could be the timing belt. Either the previous owner didn't replaced the belt or the tensioner was not properly adjusted. Good luck and let us know what the mechanic says.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 AM
TimeTo4X4

Couldn't figure what the sound was... since my valve was leaking and my timing belt was bad and off timing I got a major tune up.

I'm not even sure if the timing belt's been changed from what my mechanics were telling me. my X has 165K miles I'm assuming it had to be changed at least once.

I got valve cover, gasket, cams, timing belt, distributor and some other stuff replaced. No more noise, I get better gas mileage and the car feels stronger. also had couple more things to change due to high mileage. But at last the sound is gone.

No one could of figured out what it was but since I needed replacement parts so it had been replaced and no more sound...

unfortunately, not much of a help to others. my theory is that the timing was off and valves needed to be adjusted.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 AM
jrnyc1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Hello TimeTo4x4

The noise is very common, but I believe is just as designed and there is nothing that can be done. My 04 Xterra makes the same noise and I have a friend that replaced timing belt, distributor and other things and the noise was still there.

On my xterra I can only hear the noise with the hood open and standing in front of the engine. How bad is the noise on your xterra? can you hear it inside the cabin?
Hi,
My 2004 xterra makes this exact noise (can only hear it with hood open and standing on front). Difference is you can hear the rattle/noise when you accelrrate the engine, even a little bit. From the outside, people can hear ir. Distributor was pulled and looks good. Previous forum reply below but doesn't say what the problem was or can I keep driving.

This thread was answered by NissanTech…Please help

On my xterra I can only hear the noise with the hood open and standing in front of the engine. How bad is the noise on your xterra? can you hear it inside the cabin?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
jrnyc1232

I cannot hear the noise from the cabin. The noise can only be heard when you give the engine gas. Even a little acceleration allows it to make the rattle. Allot louder when the hood is up but also noticeable when I'm pulling in and someone is outside listening. Again, can't really hear the noise from the cabin, idle or driving, but give it gas and you can hear it if your outside. Vehicle has 135,000 miles and not sure if the timing belt can be the culprit since I don't know if it's ever been changed. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM
professorwrench

Cool Found a cause to the Distributor noise in a 2003 Xterra

So I am a mechanic and just had a lady who had just had her Knock sensor replaced at a local mechanics shop. She noticed the dreaded distributor noise and brought it by to have a second opinion. See she had returned to the first shop and they told her the distributor needed to be replaced. After listening to the noise coming from the distributor I pulled and checked it. The distributor seemed to be alright but was making some clicking sounds. So I tore it apart and replaced the upper NSK 6200 bearing and cleaned the shaft and put it back together. The noise was still there so I loosened the distributor while the engine was running. I found if I changed the angle left to right I could increase or decrease the noise as I changed the gear mesh. I also found that silly defective design of a plate below the distributor. That can't help the alignment of the gears as there are only two bolts on one side and nothing on the opposite side. I ended up finding the gears were not meshing enough so I filed the plate on the bottom side toward the thermostat and putting a piece of gasket material on the bottom opposite side to tilt the gear into contact with the cam gear. Low and behold no more noise. Ultimately the hole for the distributor has too much clearance to hold the distributor in alignment and maintain the proper gear mesh. When the other shop installed the knock sensor they disturbed the factory placement.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:57 PM
2002 Xterra

Hey I have a 2002 xterra 3.3 sc with 180,000 and had a similar noise from what I thought was the distributor. Today my ignition went out while driving and after pulling out distributor, my camshaft distributor gear didn't move with the engine turning over. I could spin it with my finger. My engine still has compression so my belt is still intact Distributor seemed fine. The noise was pretty bad at idle. I think I gotta replace my cam now :/

Last edited by Teron28; 02-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

I've heard of a few distributor bearing failures and distributor gear roll pins that have broke, but I never heard of the drive gear on a Nissan camshaft failing. Would love to see a picture of the cam when you get it removed!

Tags
distributor, noise