Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Xterra AC problems Forums > > 2006 Xterra AC problems 2006 Xterra AC problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM
MyXterra

Default 2006 Xterra AC problems

I've been experiencing problems with my AC and need help. When I have the AC switch turned to the #1 position, the AC light comes on, but there is no cold air blowing unless I turn the in cabin re-circulation button off. When the knob is on the #2-#3 positions, the fan blows, but no cold air and the AC light does not come on. However, when I have the knob on the #4 position, the AC light flickers and cold air is felt intermittently. Sometimes the AC works in this position for minutes at a time, other times, not at all. Is this indicative of a blower switch resistor problem? Please help, and thanks for your assistance.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
Is this indicative of a blower switch resistor problem?
No, with the resistor problem the blower motor will not work at all.

I never had that problem before, but sound like a short circuit or bad A/C control unit (switch unit).

Do you have any aftermarket accessories or any other symptoms?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:52 AM
MyXterra

No aftermarket parts, everything is stock. No other symptoms other than what was described. Thanks so much for your reply.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 AM
2015 Rogue

I would try the resistor first. We have seen a few that have short circuits that backfeed to the control head and turn off the a/c switch.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 PM
MyXterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I would try the resistor first. We have seen a few that have short circuits that backfeed to the control head and turn off the a/c switch.
Thanks, I'll likely try that. Seems to be a common problem based on some of the things I've read on the internet. Much appreciated!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
MyXterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXterra View Post
Thanks, I'll likely try that. Seems to be a common problem based on some of the things I've read on the internet. Much appreciated!
I replaced the blower resistor, and now the AC works in all modes. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
nausser

I have a 2006 Frontier and have almost the exact same issue. Where is this blower resistor you mention. I feel strongly this will fix my issue as well.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 AM
MyXterra

Default Blower resistor location

Hi there...the location in my Xterra was under the glovebox, and behind a kickboard panel. When I remove the panel, it is a credit card sized resistor with wires coming out from it. Hope this helps, and good luck! Cheers.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
cathrox

Oh my gosh!!! I have had the same EXACT AC issue with my Xterra!!! It started late last year. I don't want to have to shell out a ton of $$ to get it fixed so is changing the resistor thingy the actual solution? And if it is, how much does it cost for the replacement?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 PM
MyXterra

I'm not a mechanic, but from all the other threads I've read, it appeared that changing the blower resistor was the culprit. Luckily for me it was, and I paid around $70 for the OEM replacement part. I did it myself, and it was pretty easy. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM
cathrox

Thank you soooo much for the info - I'm going to try that and see if it works. Glad it worked for you!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:47 AM
2007 Xterra

I had the same problem on my 2007 Xterra. Replaced the resistor and it fixed the problem.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Medic-At-Large

I am having the same problem on my 2006 Frontier. I have ordered a control head from the dealer. Should I order the Blower resistor as well. The more expensive A/C Control head will not fix the problem? Please help, no A/C in Florida sucks.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
dfabisiak

Default Exact same issue just started on our 06 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXterra View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but from all the other threads I've read, it appeared that changing the blower resistor was the culprit. Luckily for me it was, and I paid around $70 for the OEM replacement part. I did it myself, and it was pretty easy. Good luck!
You said you had to remove a foot panel below your glovebox. I was told by a service person they need to remove the dash? I have been looking below our glovebox of our 06 Xterra and noticed it looks like its somewhat accessible without removing anything. Any advice as to how you did it and where you got the part would be appreciated
Old 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

Default 05 Xterra blower motor

My blower motor quit working on Friday. I could tell the compressor was working so I pulled the blower motor today and bench tested it. It fired right up when hooked to 12 volts. I also swapped a couple of relays under the hood but got no results. I don't know what the relays were though as the sticker/diagram was smeared too bad to read. It sounds like the resistor is the culprit. Is it a tough part to get to? I want to do it myself but right. I already have the passenger kickpanel off and the motor/fan out.

Tags
2006, problems, xterra