Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Engine Knock/Hammer on '06 Xterra Forums > > Engine Knock/Hammer on '06 Xterra Engine Knock/Hammer on '06 Xterra
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM
sunburn_33

Default Engine Knock/Hammer on '06 Xterra

Hoping somebody else has had this issue and has gotten to the bottom of it and might be able to tell me where to start! My 2006 Xterra (84k) likes to make a knocking sound at about 2000-2400 RPM. Here are the specifics:
  • I can only hear it in the range of RPM - about 2200 RPM.
  • Overall, it's a very faint, subtle, warbly knock-knock-knock-knock that is sync'd up with the drivetrain. The best I can do to describe it is it is almost like a tiny diesel truck is under the hood, accelerating in time with my engine.
  • The sound is most noticeable when the engine is cold and under load (going up a slight incline, towing, etc). I can reproduce the sound somewhat by putting it in park, standing on the brake, and revving to 2200 RPM. BUT... I'm starting to hear it after startup even on warm afternoons and a slightly warm engine. Not sure if that part is because the problem is getting worse or because I'm just getting hyper-sensitive to it.
  • The sound tends to go away as the engine gets hot.
My fear is that I'm developing piston slap or I'm out of balance somewhere and wearing out a bearing. Or it could be valve train noise. Exhaust manifold leaks, as I understand them, shouldn't be limited to a such a small window of RPM, right?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Master Enthusiast
1997 Altima
1995 Sentra
1995 Nissan sentra

Look in knowledge based section for the bulletin on this noise. There is one. gives the procedure and all.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:20 PM
2015 Rogue

I had one come in to the shop with almost exactly the same mileage. The guy took it to an independent mechanic for a knocking noise. The guy told him he needed an engine. He brought it to our shop and I listened to it in the service drive. By the sound of the thing you would swear it had a rod knocking. He asked for a quote on a replacement engine which the cost was absurd. I suggested that he drop the truck off for me to do a proper diag. I had every intention of dropping the oil pan to see what rod was knocking but for some reason I decided to start the engine with the belt off. The noise was gone. The alternator was making the noise and it transmitted all the way through the oil pan. You may want to check that first.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:10 PM
sunburn_33

Regarding the TSB - I browsed through the bulletins that have been published for the '06 Xterra, but nothing really jumped out at me. Are you referring to the timing chain noise bulletin?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll keep researching TSBs and see if slipping the belt off can help narrow things down.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:51 AM
2007 Pathfinder
2007 Altima Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpe235 View Post
I had one come in to the shop with almost exactly the same mileage. The guy took it to an independent mechanic for a knocking noise. The guy told him he needed an engine. He brought it to our shop and I listened to it in the service drive. By the sound of the thing you would swear it had a rod knocking. He asked for a quote on a replacement engine which the cost was absurd. I suggested that he drop the truck off for me to do a proper diag. I had every intention of dropping the oil pan to see what rod was knocking but for some reason I decided to start the engine with the belt off. The noise was gone. The alternator was making the noise and it transmitted all the way through the oil pan. You may want to check that first.
Its old thread but iam facing same thing ill do this first, hope its the issue cause same symptoms of what i have, planning next week for upper oil pan

Tags
knocking noise, xterra