Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
2018 Altima 2018 Armada 2018 Frontier 2018 GTR 2018 LEAF 2018 Maxima 2018 Murano 2018 NV 2018 Pathfinder 2018 Rogue 2018 Sentra 2018 Titan XD 2018 Versa Note 2018 Versa Sedan 2018 Z
MyNissan Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Tech Challenge Game Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms Cost Estimator More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Forums > > Recommendations on a bike rack
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Beebes

Default Recommendations on a bike rack

I have 2007 Xterra and I'm looking to get a bike rack. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good rack that they use. I currently don't have a hitch but would consider adding one if that is the best way to go.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM
2003 Xterra

I see no one has responded to your question yet, I hope your still looking for opinions.

I have the Yakima DoubleDown. It inserts in the trailer hitch and pivots about 50 degrees to allow the hatch to open. You can do this with bikes on the rack, too. Well built like all Yakima stuff. Even has a integral bottle opener built into one of the arms!

The hitch tongue is rather long and the bikes are way out there, but I suppose Yakima knows what they are doing. Although $$$, it's worth it.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Xterra
2006 Altima
2001 Frontier CC 2wd

This is probably too late, but I would recommend a hitch mount for ease of access. My current setup is with an older Thule rack that you hang the bikes on. I would take a hard look at the number and type of bikes you have. Typically mountain bikes are harder to put on the hanging style racks, so I would opt for a tray style carrier. If you only have 1 or 2 bikes, any style will work.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:56 PM
07XT

Check out northshoreracks.com
If you want a really good rack you'll need a hitch. Go to your local parts store and get one cheap and install it yourself. It's only 6 bolts and quite an easy install.

Last edited by 07XT; 08-24-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

Default bike rack

you can save yourself some money if you only use 2 bikes on your trips..... using the rear metal guides... there is a simple way to make a metal bar that lays across the back .... you remove your front tire and attach the forks to the fork holder....

these are the things you need..

40"x2"x1" piece of aluminum tubing sprayed with Duplicolor bedliner
T handles and bolts found at True Value Hardware
2 Sette fork mounts
2 large rubber stoppers with a hole drilled in the middle of them
2 plastic rectagular plugs for each end of the tubing

$40 on the whole thing.

and you will not worry about where you park your truck with the bikes on an outside rack.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Stiverk

Hello. I was is in your situation a couple years ago. I agree with the previous comments. The hitch mounts are the way to go. You can install it yourself in less than an hour. I had a Yakama Doubledown. I had no mechanical complaints, but after about year the finish began to flake off in one area. Rust imediately followed. I took it back to the REI store I bought it from due to Yakama's lifetime warranty. I ended up going with Thule Ridgeline. I love it! Get the 4 bike model. You'll never get 4 bikes on it unless your a master of puzzles. I took off one set of mounts, so 3 bikes can be installed allowing a little space in between them. The Ridgline also comes with its own locking system. There is a lock that locks the rack to the receiver and a cable system that locks your bikes to the rack. It's a sweet setup. And, it's made in America.