Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4) Forums > > 2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4) 2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

Ok, I got it working but there is a flaw in my method. I had the blower motor out and took out the old resistor. I put in the new resistor, then I plugged the motor in and started the car to see if it worked. It worked so I went ahead and bolted everything back in. When I turned it on it still didn't blow. I checked my connections and jiggled the wires but nothing. I tapped on the blower motor's base and it started working fine.

My flaw is I did not check the old resistor with the motor removed. When I realized this I used a multimeter to check resistance in the old resistor. Mostly between 1 and 3.5 ohms. This seems normal to me but I don't know. Either way my AC works again so hopefully this helps some.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

^^^^ Thanks Vanaspatti, I'm sure that will help some people.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

Update: when I replaced the resistor it only worked for about 2 days and I had to tap on the motor to get it to start each time I turned on the truck. On the second day it quit working completely. The motor used to make a squeaking noise during normal operation but has not done that for some time. When I re-installed the blower motor it made a sound like it was rubbing against something. I don't know what the cause is. I think that it is the motor. My theory is that as the bearings wear the brushes lose their contact. When you turn the motor upside down it works again because the assembly slides back into position. I am planning to replace the motor and hopefully fix the problem. This is a pretty confusing problem for the DIY crowd. My advice is to start with the resistor and check it's resistance/impedance with an ohm meter/multimeter. If any readings are overload the resistor has an open circuit and that is the problem. If you get readings of 4 ohms or less in the resistor test the motor. Test the motor in the position it will be mounted in when installed as this is the only position that matters in the end. If it works in other positions but not in the mounted position go ahead and replace it. I may take my old motor apart to try and verify my bearing theory. I will keep updating you with my results.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

Ok. I finally got it fixed and am confident in my diagnosis. In my xterra the blower motor went out. I believe the bearings wear and the motor falls down until the brushes lose contact. In my case tapping on the motor got it going for about 2 days and then it died completely. When I replaced the motor it didn't work. More investigation found the fuses were blown. As the brushes lost contact I think it drew enough current to blow the fuses. I was able to return the new resistor. The whole fix cost $109 for the motor with fan, $4 for the 15 amp fuses, and about another 45 minutes of labor and diagnosis. It's not a hard repair. You only need a 5.5 mm socket on a 3 inch extension. The sill panel just pops out and the kickpanel can be removed with a flathead screwdriver. Carefully pry at the attachment points.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 AM
2006 Frontier King Cab
2006 FRONTIER SE 4X4

Had the same problem w/06 Frontier. Resistor is on the bottom of the blower plenum- do not need to remove glove box. Dealer List for the part [Nissan # 27150-5Z00] is $75 and change-BUT I got on OEM from Fred Beans Nissan in Doylestown PA for $44. TO TEST: Remove white plug from resistor-remove 2 hx hd screws and pull unit straight down- get a good meter with a low ohms scale and set resistor with plug locating grooves facing up. Assume pins are 1-4 left>right. Pin #2 appears to be the common. On a brand new out-of-the-box unit, pin to pin resistance at room temperature are: 1>2= 1.1ohms, 2>3=0.3 ohms, 3>4=0.6 ohms ,1>4=0.8 ohms, 2>4=0.5 ohms, 1>3= 1.2 ohms. There is a lump on the circuit board which may be a fuse but is non-replaceable.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 AM
2001 Xterra
2001 Xterra 3.3L V6

Yeah, same problem here, my ac works on 1,3,4 and even works when ac is off weird I know. When ac is off and the dial is all the way to the left it still blows softly through the vents. I need to replace the resistor but have not had the time to buy and replace just did a trans drain, drop, replaced gasket, and lastly the trans filter. This fan blower problem is on my next to do list.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Ronzo240

I've been having a similar problem. My blower stopped working a while ago and I kinda ignored it during the summer as it wasn't so hot that I needed A/C all the time. I would not work on any setting but i could feel the temp changing, etc as I drove. So now it's winter and I need my heat.
I had a diagnosis done and the guy told me that i needed a new resistor and blower motor. I contacted my local nissan dealership and got outrageous quotes...$82 for the resistor and $212 for the blower motor but the parts/service ppl told me that it's probably just the resistor so I decided to get the resistor from them instead of getting it online and saving 30-40 bux...just in hopes that it's all i would need for the fix but nope, it did not work.
So I decided to order a third party blower motor from rockauto.com for $42 + shipping = $51. great deal. I installed the new blower motor last night and now it only works on setting #4. Does not blow on any other setting. So I've replaced the resistor and the blower motor but still have a problem.
Any ideas???

P.S for anyone wondering if the install is hard...it's not hard at all...5 mins for the resistor. 15 mins for the blower motor. just follow the instructions everyone else has mentioned.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:24 AM
2005 Xterra

Default 2005 Xterra AC Issue

Before I take the SUV to the dealer -- similar problem. On fan switch position 1 the compressor comes on and generates cold, but no blower. On 2, 3, and 4, the blower operates properly, but the compressor does not kick in.
Any ideas?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:21 AM
2005 Xterra

I fixed mine last year by buying a new ac resistor. It is located under the glove box next to the blower and requires a screw driver and about 10 mins or your time. My problem was very similar, so I would try this first before bringing it to the shop. Try to get the part from the parts department at the dealership. I bought my first one from Autozone and although it looked identical, it didn't work. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:17 AM
2005 Xterra

Default 2005 Xterra AC Issue

Thanks for all the posts on the blower / AC compressor issue. Bought the resistor at Nissan for $61 and it took care of the problem. The old resistor showed moisture damage and corrosion. Everything back to normal.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:33 PM
2010 Xterra

Can anyone give me the cliff notes on how to get the blower motor out without removing all the dash and trim pieces? Is it even possible? I've seen people in various forums indicate that it is, but the instructions here...

2005-2008 Nissan Xterra Blower Motor and/or Resistor Replacement Procedure | Nissanhelp.com

Have me removing the lower dash, door welt and trim pieces.

From what I can see, there's just one blower motor screw that I can't get out without removing the right side dash finisher trim piece, but it appears that I might have to remove a bunch of other trim/welt pieces to get that out.

2010 Xterra Offroad if that makes a difference.

I took my X in for an oil change today and (for the first time ever) they checked my cabin air filters. Apparently, when they did so they dropped something in to the motor and now it sounds like a V8 engine on anything more than about medium speed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by XterraSteve; 07-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 PM
2005 Xterra

Just got used 05 Xterra. When test drove it blower worked only on 4. Picked up my truck, dealer said the resistor was replaced and blower worked well for 3 days. Smell of burning electronics for 10 seconds, and now blower only works on 4. If i replace resistor again, will it die again? What may cause for the problem to come back?
Old 06-15-2018, 04:34 PM
2005 Xterra

Default 7/32" Screw Heads!!

Thanks for all the great advice on this thread. Just went through the troubleshooting and replacement and everything is working great. Some notes:

- Failure occurred far from home and unfortunately on the far side of the Mojave Desert.
- Symptoms:
* Blower only worked on fan settings 3 & 4. AC only worked on fan settings 1 & 2. So only passive AC was available (better than nothing).
* Voltage inputs to blower unit were over 12V on settings 3 & 4, approximately 10V on settings 1 & 2.
* When removed, the resistor showed some bulging of the plastic casing on a couple of the circuits.
* With the resistor removed, fan setting 4 still worked.
- Repair notes:
* No need to remove sill or kick plate if you're just replacing the resistor and/or checking voltage inputs to the blower unit. Everything is accessible without any trim removal.
* Toughest part of the repair for me was determining the 2 screws that hold the resistor in place weren't 5 or 6 mm - they require a 7/32" socket. I'm sure there's a good reason for this :)
* Part cost $72 with tax at my local Nissan dealer. It's available for less from Amazon but I had time today & wanted to complete the repair.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:01 AM
2000 Xterra
1999 Frontier

Default Blower motor resistor change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyd View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll look at it this weekend

It is the blower motor resistor and very easy to change. On the passenger side floor under the dash pull down the plastic shield{3 Phillips screws} once removed look straight back and down you will be able to see the electrical plug for the resistor. Unplug the resistor and have a stubby Phillips driver handy. There are only 2 screws that hold the resistor in angling straight up one at the front of the resistor plug and one behind it. Once the 2 screws are out just pull the resistor down and install the new one.

Tags
2005, fan, high, works, xterra