Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4) Forums > > 2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4) 2005 Xterra AC Fan only works on high (4)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
McGeehan

sounds easy! thanks for your help!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 AM
Mpac1954

I have an 05 Xterra. Blower only ran on #4 setting. Replaced the blower motor resistor un der the dash with a new one. Fan now works on #1 and #4 but not on#2or3. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2010, 06:38 PM
McGeehan

unplug the blower fan and check the voltage at the connector, turning the blower switch 1 through 4 making sure there is no voltage drop. If no drop in voltage it could be the blower motor/dash fan switch. If there is still a voltage drop on 2,3 then maybe a faulty resistor?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM
thibawho

I have a similar problem with my 2005 xterra, except my blower will not run on any of the 4 settings...I initially though it was the control dial itself as it seemed to respond to a good whack, but needless to say, my caveman style repair technique has ceased to produce a response...can I also assume that the resistor is at fault in this case as well? I tried replacing the switch with a good used one but that did not work...I can hear the compressor kick on when I turn on the a/c but the blower will not run on any setting...I can also feel the temperature change just from air moving through the system as I drive along i.e. when I put it to cold I can feel it get cooler, it just wont blow on its own, and when I move it to hot I can feel it get hotter..any suggestions??

Thanks for the help
Old 07-10-2010, 06:07 PM
McGeehan

Default Blower Motor

Unplug the blower motor and test the plug for power at the blower motor. If you have power its the motor.

On my 05 X there is a problem on the wire leading to the motor which sometimes cuts the power.... all i have to do is move the wire and the motor works...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:44 PM
thibawho

Alright...

So I pulled the passenger side dash apart, and got access to the blower and resistor...but after doing so realized I didn't need to tear any of that apart. Put the new resistor in and nothing happened...pulled the motor out and applied 12v power to it, with the motor in the position it would be in under normal operation and nothing happened...turned the motor upside down applied 12v, and wouldnt you know it, the thing ran like a champ. Plugged back into the truck, turned switch on with motor in upright operational position, nothing again...turned upside down just to see what would happen, and the thing kicked over as strong as ever...Does that indicate the motor itself is bad? why would it run upside down and not right side up (operational position)

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibawho View Post
Alright...

So I pulled the passenger side dash apart, and got access to the blower and resistor...but after doing so realized I didn't need to tear any of that apart. Put the new resistor in and nothing happened...pulled the motor out and applied 12v power to it, with the motor in the position it would be in under normal operation and nothing happened...turned the motor upside down applied 12v, and wouldnt you know it, the thing ran like a champ. Plugged back into the truck, turned switch on with motor in upright operational position, nothing again...turned upside down just to see what would happen, and the thing kicked over as strong as ever...Does that indicate the motor itself is bad? why would it run upside down and not right side up (operational position)

Thanks for all the help!
It could be a bad motor but I would check the wiring first. Try moving the wires around with the motor in the correct position to see if it comes on.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:03 PM
thibawho

Thanks for the response MPE

Tried moving the wiring all over the place with the motor in the operational position, and the problems persists, as soon as you turn it upside down it runs great...i was able to get it to run for a few seconds upright, but it makes a chugging sound, and then died again...as soon as I flip it over it goes back to blowing real hard...I'm gonna try a different motor and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 05-15-2011, 12:51 PM
chipldr

Default Thank you to all posters on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibawho View Post
I have a similar problem with my 2005 xterra, except my blower will not run on any of the 4 settings...I initially though it was the control dial itself as it seemed to respond to a good whack, but needless to say, my caveman style repair technique has ceased to produce a response...can I also assume that the resistor is at fault in this case as well? I tried replacing the switch with a good used one but that did not work...I can hear the compressor kick on when I turn on the a/c but the blower will not run on any setting...I can also feel the temperature change just from air moving through the system as I drive along i.e. when I put it to cold I can feel it get cooler, it just wont blow on its own, and when I move it to hot I can feel it get hotter..any suggestions??

Thanks for the help
I discovered the same problem with my blower motor yesterday and thanks to finding this forum I was able to diagnose and determine how to fix. As quoted I wasn't getting anything on all four settings. But after pulling out the motor (and saving tons of time thanks to the person who mentioned you don't have to pull out the whole glove box) I plugged it back in upside down and it worked. I then turned it right side up and it stopped. Conclusion, faulty motor. I've ordered a replacement online and just waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks again to all on this post.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM
thibawho

Were you able to get it working again with the new blower? After I put the new blower motor in mine, it worked just fine. It really is quite easy to drop the old one out and replace it with the new one. Just a few screws and you're done.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:16 PM
2007 Xterra

I have a 2007 Xterra with a different problem. The a/c compressor only works when the fan switch is in the #1 position and on max a/c. The fan blows on all settings, but the illuminated a/c switch and compressor turn off once the blower is moved to any other position.

Ideas????
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 PM
2005 Xterra

My 05 Xterra shows the a/c light on when in position 1. On position 2, 3, 4, the a/c light goes off, however the blower motor works. I bought a new a/c blower resistor that I installed very easily yesterday. Now the a/c light goes on in position 1, 2, 3 but not 4. The blower motor works only on 4. It seems that the two are not working together. Not sure what the problem would be at this point. I checked the fuses and didn't see any problems. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:22 AM
2007 Xterra

I replaced the resistor and it is working great. A/C and blower works on all settings. I wonder if the new resistor you bought is defective. Maybe someone on the forum can tell you how to check the resistor before you throw more money at it.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 AM
jrft

Thanks to the posters above I fixed the same issue with my 2007 XTerra.

I was overcharged $8 (compared to online shops) at the dealer for the part, but saved big time on the labour, which only takes 5 to 10 minutes. Even a beginner can fix it.

For anybody else having this issue, I'll outline the steps.

1- Buy a replacement blower resistor (part number: 27150-5Z000)
2- Located and remove the power cables connected to the resistor (located underneath the glove box, next to the blow motor)
3- Use a 5.5mm socket and quick release ratchet to unmount the current resistor.
4- Replace with the new part, tighten screws and reconnect cable.

A/C and Fan now work on all settings again.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
2005 Xterra
2006 Altima
2005 Xterra

I have an 05 that won't blow on any setting. I bench tested the blower motor with straight 12v and it works. Prior to removal I switched a couple of relays under the hood but I don't know what they were because the label was smeared. I am picking up a resistor tomorrow from Oreilly's for $57. I had to remove the sill plate and the kick panel to get the blower motor out but no part of the dash. This should take about 20 or 30 minutes to put it all back together. I will let you know how it goes.

If I were to do this for someone else I would probably charge about $100 to $125 for the part and labor total out the door.

Last edited by Vanaspatti; 09-20-2011 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional info

Tags
2005, fan, high, works, xterra