Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
05 xterra timing chain issue. Forums > > 05 xterra timing chain issue. 05 xterra timing chain issue.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Xterra Nissan Xterra Discussion Forum

Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 AM
hendrix89

any pics???
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix89 View Post
any pics???
Yes, but they are too much of a PITA to change so that they conform to the limits of this forum.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
hendrix89

how about just sending it to my e-mail address??? [email protected]
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Scott Smith

Yeah, I had timing chain tensioners (both) completely worn out (plastic gone and chains rubbing on steel rivet!) on my '05 xterra at 20,000 miles. I took it to the dealer 3 times (they told me it was the serpentine belt tensioner the first two times...replaced it and then told me the noise had "changed" they are not too great...Lithia Nissan of Eugene Oregon) before they diagnosed it and replaced both tensioners and chains. We are at 42,000 miles now and seems to be ok...but where did all of that plastic and steel go to? I was told by the dealer that it wasn't a common problem but if anyone knows any differently, I would like to know. Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 04:30 AM
hendrix89

No, not a common problem..if it was they would make it a recall....
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Enthusiast

2005 Xterra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Smith View Post
Yeah, I had timing chain tensioners (both) completely worn out (plastic gone and chains rubbing on steel rivet!) on my '05 xterra at 20,000 miles. I took it to the dealer 3 times (they told me it was the serpentine belt tensioner the first two times...replaced it and then told me the noise had "changed" they are not too great...Lithia Nissan of Eugene Oregon) before they diagnosed it and replaced both tensioners and chains. We are at 42,000 miles now and seems to be ok...but where did all of that plastic and steel go to? I was told by the dealer that it wasn't a common problem but if anyone knows any differently, I would like to know. Thanks
Mine went at 30,000 miles, Dealer thought it was the serpentine belt tensioner but after replacing it the noise was still there. I drove it right back and had the service writer sit in the driver's seat, then he heard it. They replaced tensioners, primary and secondary timing chains. They said that they had done a few of those so I guess it is common, but not enough for a recall. They told me that they had changed the oil and filter afterward, but when I got home I discovered that they had not, so I had to. If you look on the bottom of your oil pan there is a small cover, if you feel there might be debris you can pull it and clean it out. I'm thinking of doing that to mine.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 PM
deeznuts

No it is a common problem, and Nissan does in fact know of it. They have had a service bulletin out for a while. Too costly of a repair to make a recall
Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM
rcarpen22

Can someone describe the noise that this problem makes. I am getting a high pitched whine from the engine that rises with revs at idle or under load. I know there is an issue with serpentine belt tensioner as well. My truck is 8k out of warranty so I'm not too pleased.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 03:43 PM
steveng

I have a 2005 Xterra and at 32k they replaced all the tensioners and whatever was involved. It makes a high pitch whine and it gets louder when you hit the gas. They had my vehicle for a week to do the repairs. I have a question now that they made the repair is this problem cured or is it going to have to be done in another 30k. I'm a little nervous with this vehicle now that the warranty has run out and it has had a lot of problems.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

my chain guides got worn at 76k , dealer order parts and took 2 days to replace. its under warranty since its not a normal wear issue.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
rcarpen22

Can you tell me more about how you got it under warranty? Who did you have to talk to? I've heard others say that once they were past the regular warranty that Nissan would not cover it.
Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
rajaeboy

Default is this a defect??

I purchaced my xterra new and had this rattle noise since i drove it off the lot only when i was giong up hill at first ,took it to the dealer several times and the noise could not be found every year noise got worse but dealer could not hear this noise, but documented it.
now my nissan has this problem almost always when around 2200-2400rpms took it in again and they could hear this loud noise it is something to do with timing chain they will take it apart next week should this be a recall since so many are having the same issues?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 AM
rcarpen22

I traded mine for an '09 Titan. The dealer didn't hear the timing chain noise so they didn't factor that into my trade allowance. Miss the Xterra but like the Titan more for what I need.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

Default chain guides

if your diagnosed with chain guide problems..... it will take a couple of days for them to get the parts shipped to them..... purchase a water pump and oil pump and have them replace the oem's with your replacements.... off course that is if your around 70k +
Old 03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
wcfields

Nissan does not want to own up that the xterra has a timing chain issues. To nissan this will cost them to much money to admit that there is a problem. I have talk with several senior officials with nissan and they want to put their head in the sand.

Tags
chain, issue, timing, xterra