Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Replacement tires for X-Trail Forums > > > Replacement tires for X-Trail Replacement tires for X-Trail
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:28 AM

2006 X-Trail SE AWD

Default Replacement tires for X-Trail

I thought it might be useful to start a list of replacement tires that owners are putting on their Nissan X-Trails.

My wife and I own a 2006 X-Trail AWD that came from the factory with Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684s in 215/65R16 (96H) spec. These tires were absolute garbage from a treadwear point of view (180 rating) and quickly wore out. In looking for replacement tires, I noticed that it's virtually impossible to find 65-profile light truck tires in Canada (most all are 70-profile and up).

We ended up buying a set of Michelin X Radial DT all-season touring tires from Costco in 215/65R16 (98T) spec. So far they've been pretty good on dry and wet roads, and will hopefully perform well in snow too.

What have other owners been putting on their X-Trails? How are they performing?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 AM

2006 X-Trail SE AWD

Quick update: The Michelin X Radial has turned out to be very mediocre at handling snowy conditions. So I would say that they've proven to be a good three-season tire on the X-Trail.

So what kinda rubber are others putting on their X-Trails?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Have you looked into BFG Long Trails in your size?Great tread wear and do a good job in the snow here in Ohio.Very low road noise and look good too.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 AM
lplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech22 View Post
Have you looked into BFG Long Trails in your size?Great tread wear and do a good job in the snow here in Ohio.Very low road noise and look good too.
I'm looking for all-season replacement tires for the 2005 X-Trail, having a problem with their size, 215/65R/16. The best rated SUV tires such as Goodyear Fortera TripleTred, BFGoodrich Long Trail (Tire Rack survey) are not available. The top size match is the 9th place tire, Kumho Road Venture APT KL51.

Question to tire experts: is there any other tire size that will work with the X-Trail rims?

Thanks,
lpkay,
Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
lplay

We found a great deal on at Goodyear, Assurance TripleTreds 98T, 3 for the price of 4, sale on until May 9th in Canada. Just $75 more than Walmart's Viva Tourings!

Much better, in all respects, than original Bridgestones.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
White X-Trail

I replaced with Michelin LTX M&S. 215/70 16. Have 100000 Km on them now and will get another 50K. (Mixed highway and rural gravel roads). Have been very good in all conditions. Slightly larger diameter, but the speedo still reads high.

Last edited by White X-Trail; 05-25-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 AM
kll

mine are goodyear wrangler HP. its ok, silent but not so soft. even they are getting old each day, they work. but i may move to bridgestone or bfgoodrich when winter time is close. i may switch to 215/70/16 instead of 65.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 PM
kll

Quote:
Originally Posted by White X-Trail View Post
I replaced with Michelin LTX M&S. 215/70 16. Have 100000 Km on them now and will get another 50K. (Mixed highway and rural gravel roads). Have been very good in all conditions. Slightly larger diameter, but the speedo still reads high.
i did same. i bought 70 series tires. pirelli scorpion STR. car is higher and softer. very silent and soft tires. but there is still 4 km/h difference on speedometer. it was 10 km on my previous 65 series goodyear tires. also same happened to me on my previous nissan pathfinder. i think nissan speedometers have a big difference on readings.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
quizno

the 16" wheels are an upgrade.

the speedos must have been synched with 15" rims
Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 AM
kll

how to sync? can nissan dealer do that?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 AM

2006 X-Trail SE AWD

Default Here we go again... (sigh)

So the time has come to replace all four tires on the X-Trail again. And as before, the selection of SUV-oriented all-season tires in the stock size (P215/65R16) are very limited in Canada.

Right now I'm looking at the following choices:
  • Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in 215/65R16 (not avail. in Canada, but can order from U.S.) *
  • Nokian WR SUV in 215/65R16 (avail. in Canada)
  • Nokian WRG2 SUV in 215/65R16 (avail. in Canada)

Does anyone have any real-world experience with any of these tires?

If so, would you recommend them? Would they suit the X-Trail well?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Note, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S is available in 235/60R16 in Canada, so I'm also considering this one too.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM

2006 X-Trail SE AWD

In the end, we ordered a set of four Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in P215/65R16 from Tire Rack USA to be installed by a local shop.

Ordered placed Monday, tires delivered Thursday. No hassles from the UPS delivery man, as Tire Rack arranges all customs clearance in advance.

The all-in cost going this route -- including shipping, taxes, duties and customs brokerage fees -- is still hundreds less than buying the 235s here in Canada. Not sure why this is the case, as our dollar has been very strong against the U.S. dollar for several years now...

Last edited by SunDude; 08-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
2005 Xtrail

Default 2005 xtrail tires

Hi! I'm new to the site, and new to my xtrail. I'm shopping for second hand snows and am wondering if ford escape rims will fit. Found 4 with 225/70/16's. any thoughts. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
2010 Xtrail

I have a 2010 Xtrail slx mt in india. Finding it impossible to get replacement tires. The originals it came with are bridgestone 215/60r17. The closest replacements I can find are 225/65 r17 and 235/55 r17. Does anyone have aniy experience using these on the Xtrail? Of course I expect my speedo to show a little off but would it otherwise be a good fit?( Anyways I find that all the cars speedo show around 4 km/h higher than what shows in the gps here in india and in australia. I guess it has to do with speed liability suits? The odometers always show correct though.)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM
2005 Xtrail

Default Geolanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDude View Post
In the end, we ordered a set of four Yokohama Geolander A/T-S in P215/65R16 from Tire Rack USA to be installed by a local shop.

Ordered placed Monday, tires delivered Thursday. No hassles from the UPS delivery man, as Tire Rack arranges all customs clearance in advance.

The all-in cost going this route -- including shipping, taxes, duties and customs brokerage fees -- is still hundreds less than buying the 235s here in Canada. Not sure why this is the case, as our dollar has been very strong against the U.S. dollar for several years now...
How are the Geolanders doing for you?
Len

Tags
replacement, tires, xtrail