Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2006 Xtrail not starting every time Forums > > > 2006 Xtrail not starting every time 2006 Xtrail not starting every time
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 AM
2006 Xtrail
2006 Xtrail
2006 x trail

Default 2006 Xtrail changed sensors did not help

Hi Folks

I have 2 Nissan X trails. One is a sweet heart starts in the cold of the Arctic down to -40 without plugging in. I use Odysee battery and 0-30 motor oil. Car was bought from south and delivered up here 5 years ago and works just fine.I had to chage the crank angle sensor to make it start in real cold but other than rear struts nothing has gone wrong.
I bought the other one a month ago and people selling it said it was due to hard starting. I agree its a bugger to start. When it is running it goes great smooth lots of power and in great shape.
I replaced both the crank angle sensor and the cam sensor. now get this
when running I can uplug the cam sensor and it will not make any difference and sometimes it will start and run like this with no input from the cam sensor. but not all the time. When i pull off the plug coil and install a new plug into it and ground the plug and test it there is usually just 1 spark. and its the same for all cylinders 1 spark then nothing. if you let off and shut off key and try again it gives 1 spark.
Now at some point maybe hours maybe days later it will give out a few sparks and then it starts running on 3 cylinders. if I shut it down and replace the coil most times it will restart and run fine until I shut it off then we are looking at the same thing ll over again. I pulled the plugs off the ECU and transmission control and nothing is corroded. I check and installed makeshift grounds to see if that corrects the proble. NOTHING WORKS
same problem over and over.
NATS seems to work if you go by the light and if you pull the relay out so I assume it is not the NATS that is at fault.
When it is running I have driven it for 20 Kms at all speeds stop and go and it works as well or better than my other x trail but I cant shut it off or it will not start and it has to sit for hours or days until it decides to start again.
Please help shed some light on this as I am in the Arctic and parts take up to 3 weeks to get and freight is real expensive. cost me $68 dollars for a sensor and 4 plugs on last order. Thats just the freight not the cost of the parts.\
thank you
Bearbusterjim

Last edited by bearbusterjim; 12-15-2015 at 04:21 AM. Reason: change title
Old 12-15-2015, 04:22 AM
2006 Xtrail
2006 Xtrail
2006 x trail

This might be an old topic but no one can help. dealers have no clue as to what the issue is.
Any assistance would help
thank you
Old 01-14-2016, 01:10 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

1. For crankshaft and camshaft sensors be sure to use Nissan and not after market.

2. It's a long shot but inspect the negative battery cable at chassis and engine.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:01 AM
2006 Xtrail
2006 Xtrail
2006 x trail

Default sensors are OEM

Thank you for reply.
The sensors are OEM Nissan.
If I unplug cam sensor it does not affect the running of the engine ( after started)
The darn thing will run like a new machine when it is running. Lots of power smooth acceleration smooth idle. But it show 14-17 degree of advance when idling. What I cannot figure out is why there is no spark or just 1 spark when you start to crank then all of a sudden there is spark and it will start. I take one coil off and plug a good spark plug into it and ground it solid with vise grips so I can watch spark. when the engine decides to spark the motor will run on 3 cylinders. if I shut it off and try to restart sometimes it will sometimes it wont. test again and get 1 spark then nothing leave it and at some point it will be cranking over and poof there is spark and engine runs again. Tested the security (chipped key) that works only thing off is the advance at idle and the fact no spark. I did a test run where I drove it for 40 miles with may stops and did not shut it off and it worked like a charm never missed a beat. put it back in the shop and turned off key and would not start. tested spark again and only 1 spark as soon as you turn key but none while cranking. I like in the Arctic and its bloody cold here. Have same machine as this and it start like a charm down to -39 after that have to plug it in. I have been told this rig is on its 4th starter since new. the owners have cranked the hell out of it since new to make it start. Starts better in warm months of the year when temperatures get above 40.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:44 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Sounds like an unresolved old issue. What I can suggest if not already done, is take it to a shop with Oscilloscope or similar equipment that can monitor all cylinders at cranking or at idle.

Last edited by bennyb53; 01-14-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:18 AM
2006 Xtrail
2006 Xtrail
2006 x trail

Default Dealer not availlable

I am located in the Arctic
3400 miles away from any dealership
I have small code reader in my shop and it tells me its either crank angle sensor or nothing is wrong
that and the amount of advance is way off

thanks for assistance

Tags
2006, starting, time, xtrail