Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Xtrail 06 blower motor noise Forums > > > Xtrail 06 blower motor noise Xtrail 06 blower motor noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 AM
2011 Sentra SE-R
2006 Xtrail

Default Xtrail 06 blower motor noise

Hi, I would like to know if someone could show me how to remove the blower motor from my Xtrail 06. I have gotten as far as being able to replace the in cabin filter, it is knowing where the screws and clips are to remove the casing that holds the motor. It has a vibration noise that sounds like I am driving on 4 tires with 1/2" studs on them!! Please help!!

Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM
2006 Xtrail
2006 X-Trail (Bona Vista)

Default Blower Motor Blues

I am doing this right now, my motor started squealing at startup, and I saw (another forum) that a person in Russia and someone else in Australia had installed ball bearings on their X-Trail blower motors (replacing the OEM bushings) so thought I'd give it a try. Dealers want really big dollars for the motor and fan, who knows how much to install, and who knows how long it will last?

Anyway, first you must disconnect the negative cable on your battery, then set about removing the glove box, lower passenger kick panel, and the vehicle Electronic Control Module (ECM), plus all electrical connections to the blower assembly. You will be pulling the whole box out, not a job for the feint of heart. Next remove the bolts and screws holding the blower assembly (the whole thing) to the dash supports, move it slightly to the right and jiggle it down, at least you've now got it in your hands. Now, you'll have to separate the assembly so that you can get at the blower motor/fan assembly, and that means trying to bend some little plastic tabs out of the way so you can separate the whole shebang. After fiddling with them for more than an hour, I finally broke those tabs off and the whole thing finally came apart... You can use screws to reassemble the two pieces, that's likely what the dealer does anyway...

Now for the fun part... the fan came off the motor very easily, and here I'm stuck for a while... the motor is a press fit into the plastic housing, and the various gentle methods I've tried have not even budged it a millimeter, so I'm going to have a few refreshing beverages and ponder the problem, likely starting in again in the morning.

Likely you have already fixed yours, this is a DIY job for the experienced, the brave or the stupid, not easy.

Now since I'm not experienced or brave but probably stupid, I have completed this much and am determined to follow through to the finish. You would think that since these PWM (pulse width modulated) brushless DC motors are so expensive to replace, that they'd have ball bearings in them OEM, but I guess the extra twenty dollars would break the bank...

Will report back on my progress soon, and maybe even post a photo...
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 PM
2011 Sentra SE-R
2006 Xtrail

Default Squeak is gone!!

Hi enb. You got as far as I did. I did get the blower motor in my hands. I removed the squirrel cage from the motor and I could spin the shaft from the motor and it was very hard to turn. So all I did was put about a half dozen drops of very light sewing machine oil along the shaft and it penetrated into the motor. What a difference it made to be able to spin the shaft smoothly. I put the squirrel cage back on and put everything back together again. No more squealing or squeaking. Forget about ball bearing installation!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
2006 Xtrail

Default Hello gmac

Well, I did get the motor out of the plastic blower housing, the bushings were too far gone to re-oil so removed them and placed the ball bearings (698ZZ by NSK), added more spacer washers, aligned the shaft and bearings to spin freely before locking down the tabs, and have just finished putting the motor back into the blower housing. Will finish off tomorow, picture is of the back end of the motor before spacers and lock ring were added, I'll never do this again (way too much work!). Glad to hear you had success, wish mine had of been that easy...

September 25th, nice and warm, took only about 1 hour to button up the blower assembly and install it, motor worked better than it ever has in a long time. Am really pleased, but wait till -35C this winter, that'll be the true test of these ball bearings!
Attached Thumbnails
Xtrail 06 blower motor noise-img_0777_1_1-jpg  

Last edited by enb54; 09-25-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Final Remarks
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM
dkruysse

Default x-trail 2007 fan noise solved

After reading your comments below I took on the challenge and thank all who participated, having a factory to work in some my millwright friends
gave some guidance, a Tim Hortons coffee voucher was the cost at $ 30.00 instead of $600.00 from Nissan

I can assure you that the NSK 698ZZ bearings work great low or high speed even north of the 49th paralel, Ontario last week was a -34 at night.
After putting a vise to the plastic housing take a wrech and grasp the motor shaft and pull up, the motor should come up , try some WD40 or light oil to help.
The busings pop out easily from the motor cage holding them in and require some effort to install the bearings. the best way to put the motor back together is to pop out the brushes before putting the motor back together. I found the plastic unit holding the fan an overdesign too many tabs easy to break and of no use as the screws are sufficient

Well, I did get the motor out of the plastic blower housing, the bushings were too far gone to re-oil so removed them and placed the ball bearings (698ZZ by NSK), added more spacer washers, aligned the shaft and bearings to spin freely before locking down the tabs, and have just finished putting the motor back into the blower housing. Will finish off tomorow, picture is of the back end of the motor before spacers and lock ring were added, I'll never do this again (way too much work!). Glad to hear you had success, wish mine had of been that easy...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:54 AM
2006 Xtrail

dkruysse...

Hello and congratulations. Mine has been running fine ever since, and we have endured -37C type temperatures out here in Edmonton, Alberta. Apparently skateboard bearings will work also, but for all the effort, the NSK are likely a better bet. Good to hear someone else has successfully repaired the "squeak" and you'd think the manufacturers would do a better job, but I guess the extra money is not worth it to them. Anyway, happy X-Trails to you!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:17 AM
cuculin

Hi Guys, 06 X-Trail , Oakville Ontario.

Same problem here. I have it open to where I replaced the cabin filter as I have done that before but I didn’t want to tackle the squeak as I was/am unsure how many screws and cables to disconnect. I wonder if any of you guys could or would post a few pics and to which and how many screws are to be removed. I hate paying through the nose for something I can do myself.
Also a scrap car dealer near me has 3 X-Trails in stock. I wonder if it would be worth my while just buying a blower from him?Any thoughts?

Let me know.

Cuculin.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM
2006 Xtrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuculin View Post
Hi Guys, 06 X-Trail , Oakville Ontario.

Same problem here. I have it open to where I replaced the cabin filter as I have done that before but I didn’t want to tackle the squeak as I was/am unsure how many screws and cables to disconnect. I wonder if any of you guys could or would post a few pics and to which and how many screws are to be removed. I hate paying through the nose for something I can do myself.
Also a scrap car dealer near me has 3 X-Trails in stock. I wonder if it would be worth my while just buying a blower from him?Any thoughts?

Let me know.

Cuculin.
As I recall, there are no cables to disconnect, just the electrical connections and about 6 or 7 bolts. Read post #2 here and make sure you have the skills and tenacity to tackle this, plus the bearings and some 8mm spacer washers. Also make sure you disconnect the battery and the ECU FIRST, these (ECU) are very expensive and easy to damage. Buying a used blower motor is maybe or maybe not a good idea, if you have it all the way apart, I'd try oiling it like the OP did, maybe you'll get lucky and can forget about bearing replacement. Attached are two photos... Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Xtrail 06 blower motor noise-img_0774_1_1-jpg   Xtrail 06 blower motor noise-img_0775_2_1-jpg  

Last edited by enb54; 02-22-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Add bearing oiling thoughts
Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 AM
cuculin

Default Blower Noise

Thanks man I appreciate it, but I do have one question, why not just take the bottom peice out instead of the whole unit. It looks to me as if there are 6 screws and a few clips? am I wrong??

Cheers.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:55 AM
2006 Xtrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuculin View Post
Thanks man I appreciate it, but I do have one question, why not just take the bottom peice out instead of the whole unit. It looks to me as if there are 6 screws and a few clips? am I wrong??

Cheers.
You may be able to do it, but you have to break those little plastic tabs off (part of lower housing which is latched to the upper housing through narrow slots), and I don't think you can easily do it the first time. After you separate the halves the first time, you likely can just use the screws to take the bottom assembly off. Give it a try, if it does not work, then you'll have to remove the whole thing... good luck...
Old 05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
2005 Xtrail

Hi,I'm looking for advice for the cabin air filter replacement ,and where and how the squirrels are getting into the cabin air filter housing.Can I cover the opening to the housing with some sort of metal screen and hose clamp?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:32 PM
GaryGoodman

Default bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkruysse View Post
After reading your comments below I took on the challenge and thank all who participated, having a factory to work in some my millwright friends
gave some guidance, a Tim Hortons coffee voucher was the cost at $ 30.00 instead of $600.00 from Nissan

I can assure you that the NSK 698ZZ bearings work great low or high speed even north of the 49th paralel, Ontario last week was a -34 at night.
After putting a vise to the plastic housing take a wrech and grasp the motor shaft and pull up, the motor should come up , try some WD40 or light oil to help.
The busings pop out easily from the motor cage holding them in and require some effort to install the bearings. the best way to put the motor back together is to pop out the brushes before putting the motor back together. I found the plastic unit holding the fan an overdesign too many tabs easy to break and of no use as the screws are sufficient

great how do i get the bearing out ? do remove the plastic cap away from the outer housing or undo the "E"clip and somehow remove the locking washer that seems to hold in the bushing ?
Old 05-15-2011, 07:39 AM
2006 Xtrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGoodman View Post
great how do i get the bearing out ? do remove the plastic cap away from the outer housing or undo the "E"clip and somehow remove the locking washer that seems to hold in the bushing ?
Suggest looking at the photo in post #4, the tabs have to be bent back, and of course that means the motor is out of the plastic housing. If this seems obtuse, then perhaps this is not a job you should tackle on your own. You remove the old bushings and substitute a ball bearing assembly, or if you are lucky, perhaps just regreasing/oiling the old bushings will fix your problem. Good luck to you...
Old 05-15-2011, 02:32 PM
GaryGoodman

Thank you for that, I missed the photo
I discovered the top bush has been flogged out.
cheers from Goodie
Old 09-25-2011, 09:51 AM
2006 Xtrail
2006 X-trail 1998cc 2WD

Smile Nissan Dealer rip-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
As I recall, there are no cables to disconnect, just the electrical connections and about 6 or 7 bolts. Read post #2 here and make sure you have the skills and tenacity to tackle this, plus the bearings and some 8mm spacer washers. Also make sure you disconnect the battery and the ECU FIRST, these (ECU) are very expensive and easy to damage. Buying a used blower motor is maybe or maybe not a good idea, if you have it all the way apart, I'd try oiling it like the OP did, maybe you'll get lucky and can forget about bearing replacement. Attached are two photos... Good Luck!
Hi Guys
Glad I found this thread. My blower motor was nice and quiet until over a period of 2 days, the gentle squeal gradually got noisier and noisier and now sounds like a hammer drill. Went to the one and only dealer round here in West of Ireland and they wanted €800 odd just for parts - don't know what that is in US$ but I'm not paying it. So have embarked on a DIY job and fitting decent roller bearings. Not for the faint-hearted as someone said but in my younger days I changed engines single-handedly. Thanks for the pics. Will let you know how it goes.......

Tags
blower, motor, noise, xtrail