Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Tires for SE Forums > > Tires for SE Tires for SE
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wheels and Tires Wheels and tires related questions and comments for all models

Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
2004 Quest
2004 Quest SE

Default Tires for SE

My first tires, the Eagle LS2's wore out around 20k miles. So, I replaced them with Comfortread that have 80k mile warranty. So, now at 34k miles, they too are worn out. I'm waiting on Goodyear to tell me what the allowance will be, but, are the tires on the SE's wearing our quickly for everyone?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:20 PM
brenyn

Default Welcome to Nissan!

We also have the accursed 04'. Our first set of tires 40k or so. The next set we only got 24k or so out of them. This is all during the several trips to the dealership to get our vibration/shudder, warped rotors fixed. After three trips the service manager finally went for a ride with us and apologized to us because he was sure our rotors were screwed up!
The Quest has a lot problems, also the Maximas, Muranos, and Q45 or something like that. The problem is nissan used inferior/small ass rotors on most of there models. They get hot and cause severe shimmys up front and in back. There are also some front end, steering problems that eat tires! Watch out for the rear power lift gate(repaired 3 times on ours), the DVD player(x3), and two batteries. Trim and finish is crap. And check out the tiny fake radiator, hope you don't live in Arizona like we do, because you will have to turn off the A/C sometimes because it overheats and blows warm air. Also unless it is 30 degrees outside you can't use the vent because it always blows warm air.

I am sorry my friend, welcome to Quest ownership.:censored:
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

m98cox: Did you have an alignment done when you replaced your tires?

brenyn: If you got 40k miles out of the Eagle LS, you did much better then most people. I "squeezed" 42k out of mine before replacing. Also, did you have an alignment done when you changed your tires? It is highly recommended that you do this on a vehicle this size. Also how often are you rotating the tires? Are they out of balance? This could be causing the shimmying esp. at speed.

I must admit I have been much luckier with my Quest then many owners. I also had my brakes and rotors replaced by a private mechanic. I figured that the dealer has to use the same Nissan parts while a mechanic can use aftermarket brake parts which are superior in quality.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 AM
brenyn

Yes, aligned every time we took it in complaining of shimmying, which was probably every 2 months the first 3 years and rotated and balanced every 1,000 miles at Discount so that they will honor the 60k Michelin warranty. It does great once the tires have been rotated and balanced, but this only last for less than 300 miles and then it starts up again. The first set of tires only lasted that long because we thought they should have. in reality, they were shot when we got new ones. The second set really upset us because they were more bald than the first set was at half the miles. The third set is already showing signs of wear, and they only have about 10,000 miles on them. It's clearly the vehicle, and thankfully the folks at Discount totally agree because Nissan refuses to acknowledge any problem. My husband replaced the rear brakes about 3 months ago. One day they were fine and then the next day they were making a grinding noise, and the rotors were shot. The front are due now. He'll go ahead and do it and use better quality materials. I just got so tired of the service department at 2 different Nissan dealerships treating us like we were crazy. They were rude and condescending on every occasion. One service advisor was actually nice and listened to us, he didn't last long there as you can imagine. nissan wants advisors that say "no" every other word. Now we have the leaking oil cooler seal. We have 82k on it because we lived in rural AZ for 3.5 years and put a lot of miles on it driving to Phoenix for service appointments. the seal is cheap so we'll replace it, but it really burns me that just about every TSB out there on that van is what's wrong with mine.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

It is frustrating. For some reason it seems like your car is hard on tires. Makes me wonder if somethign else is going on in the suspension. I rotate my tires everyo 7500 miles and have not had a problem with my second set. Like I mentioned, i have been lucky If I can only get the driver side sliding door to stop rattlling, all woudl be good.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfb View Post
It is frustrating. For some reason it seems like your car is hard on tires. Makes me wonder if somethign else is going on in the suspension. I rotate my tires everyo 7500 miles and have not had a problem with my second set. Like I mentioned, i have been lucky If I can only get the driver side sliding door to stop rattlling, all woudl be good.
Good luck with the door. We get that complaint all of the time. You can adjust the door and stop the ratlle for a couple days but it comes right back. I think the body is flexing. The 2004 quest has definately been an embarassment for nissan in my opinion. I hate seeing one pull into the service drive. For you owners who think the dealerships don't care about the problems with your quest, we do. I must admit that I dislike working on them because we see the same problems over and over and to be honest unless nissan does some re-engineering we can't fix them.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

thanks mpe. What bothers me more if during the winter when it snows or freezing rain, the door freezes shut. There is a slight misalignment that leaves a tiny gap that allows the water to get into the joint.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:14 AM
lkinnj

Hi everyone! I'm new to this as I am now about to put my 4th set of 4 tires on my 04 Quest SE at 85K. I have been thru Continentals and Michelins now respectively. Been to the tire place and dealer many times over this - my tires have been rotated every 6-7k, constant tire pressure at or slightly above the recommended 35. Both say that the car is just "hard on tires" and can find nothing wrong. A friend suggested this: "The main reason for the problem is that the manufacture sets the "camber' which is the alignment angle of the top of the tire. it is either set positive which is leaning out or negative which is leaning in at the top of the wheel. Most are set leaning out while there is no load in the vehicle. This allows for a load and then the angle comes out to a neutral position. Most people however dont "load" the car but once or twice a year so there really is no advantage to it. The rear suspension should be able to be adjusted to bring the camber to a neutral position. here is a kit that can be installed on the front suspension that will allow adjustment of this angle. This will allow your car to run closer to the neutral position.
Here is a link to the kit http://www.drivewire.com/products/nissan-quest/alignment-kit/19004/
Make sure you get a complete 4 wheel alignment on your car. Should be done once new tires are installed anyway."

Anyone tried this? Have any knowledge of this? Anyone put on tires that last over 30K? I am seriously "tired" of pouring $ into the tires so any help would be great.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Cleankill

I have a 2005 Quest Base Model. I have no tires issue. 25k miles and tire @ 70% all wear even and no camber problem. Mine is usually driven in city too. I do agree these tires go little fast, even with my conservative driving style. Just wondering or do you drive hard on your vehicle?
This van has a huge nose dive under hard braking (60/40 weight distribution) and too much low-end torque, which i believe why our tires get bald easier than other vehicles.

*Edit Tire pressure usually 35(cold)/39(warm)

Last edited by Cleankill; 12-19-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:10 PM
statman1967

I just replaced the Goodyear OEM on my 2004 with Yokohama AVID TRZ. I got 33K out of the Goodyear tires. I found the Yokohama on Tirerack.com and the reviews are rather positive for use on the Quest. My local tire shop price matched them and beat the mount and balance price including lifetime balance and rotation.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

sounds like a deal

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2004 Quest
2004 Quest

I just put on my third set of tires on the Quest (68k miles). the originals lasted to 42k (I got every usable bit of thread out of those sorry goodyears). Replaced with hankook Optimo 418, size 235/60-16 . They were suppose to be 60k mile tires, lasted about 25k miles. I guess you get what you pay for.

I had intended on putting the Yoko Avid TRZ on but Sears is having a sale on Michelin tires plus Michelin has a $56 installation rebate going on. I bought the Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (225/65-16), top rated on Tirerack.com. So far, very impressed with these tires. Good grip and very quiet. With the sale, the total price was the same as the Avid TRZ.

Of course I had an alignment done on the van.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

There was a TSB on the door that stated if the vehicle has been lifted buy any means that you should drive the vehicle and then let it "rest" for 30 min before you make any adjustments to that Da#$% door . Did it work! Well some came back and some didn't.All i know is after i broke a rib i refuse to work on any D#$@ Quest.Sorry but had to vent.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Pathfinder
2001 Sentra

Default Not quite true

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownfb View Post

I must admit I have been much luckier with my Quest then many owners. I also had my brakes and rotors replaced by a private mechanic. I figured that the dealer has to use the same Nissan parts while a mechanic can use aftermarket brake parts which are superior in quality.
Not quite true. It depends on the grade the independent/non-dealer mechanic/shop chooses to install. Some go for economy parts which are sometimes made of lesser quality than OEM. I have seen aftermarket white box rotors that have significantly thinner walls than OEM.

Then again, there are independent shops that install medium to good quality parts. My guess would be most install medium quality parts unless you specify high quality or performance parts (and pay more of course). They usually don't want a callback from cheap economy parts, but they want you to come back when they need to be replaced.

Tags
tires