Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Versa coolant normal temperature operation range Forums > > Versa coolant normal temperature operation range Versa coolant normal temperature operation range
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Versa Nissan Versa Discussion Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM
2008 Versa

Unhappy Versa coolant normal temperature operation range

Hi,

I'm using a OBD Bluetooth scanner to monitor my Versa 2008 coolant temperature since it was overheated a month ago..At this moment, I just want to discover what is the normal operation range of the coolant temperature for this car?

I mean; from how many grades the red light must come on? Or, from which grade the car must be considered overheated?

I have been making a research over worldwide websites and haven't seen nothing. Could you please give me a hand on this?

Best regards
JC
Old 05-12-2016, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

Here is my record of water temp on my 2009 Versa S sedan with 1.8L & MT-6

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6
Versa coolant normal temperature operation range-water-temp-gif
Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 AM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

The Owner's Manual should say at what temperature the engine reach normal operating temperature. The Engine Coolant Temp. sensor is responsible for sending feedback to the computer.
1. With engine at idle - Take note at what temperature the cooling fans kick in. This is the upper limit the engine needs to cool down. You're essentially overheating at this time so cooling fans kick in.
2. Take note of the temperature when cooling fans stop. When driving in heavy traffic you will notice the cooling fans kick in from time to time.

I did an experiment with my scanner with Live Data hooked up to my 2.5 Altima. Sustained speed around 90 mph for about 90 seconds. To my surprise the engine was cooler at 182F. Normal operating temp. 180F. Compared to stop and go traffic at 195F and cooling fans kick in at 201F. My guess is for smaller engines these numbers would be slightly lower. I think for 6 cyl. engines, the cooling fans kick in at 205F.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:07 AM
2008 Versa

bennyb53,

It is okay, but what I want exactly to know at this point is;

My Versa is reaching around 216 to 217 grades Fahrenheit (However the red light isn't turning on) driving under hard acceleration mode in a highway, It meaning to say that something is not working properly ??or simply is okay to reach this temperature value due to the hard acceleration driving mode.

Many, many thanks,
Regards
JC
Old 05-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

If it overheated a month ago what was the problem and what happened to correct the problem? Perhaps the overheating is still an issue if it was not diagnosed or repaired properly or if the repair only addressed a symptom of the problem and not the problem itself.

Are the cooling fans functioning?

216-217 seems a little on the hot side but in a closed system under pressure even water will boil at a higher temperature than 212 - that is why they invented pressure cookers.

Did you see the graph from Franceso who did not mention what device was used to collect that data (that would be interesting to know). Your temps are above that.

Last edited by joseibarra; 05-13-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:42 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa

The temperature chart on message #2 was logged by a Model 8226B Carchip Pro data logger. It can select 4 out of 23 parameters to log. All my cars are equipped with the logger primarily because the local police cannot tell the difference between 45 MPH and 57 MPH. I monitor the following;
Speed @ 5 sec intervals (can also do 1 sec)
RPM @ 5 sec intervals
Water Temp @ 1 minute intervals
Throttle position @ 5 sec intervals (if it is drive by wire throttle)

Frank 2009 Versa S sedan MT-6 with 76K miles
Old 05-14-2016, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Versa
2001 Altima

Ooooo. I'm liking that thing.

Tags
coolant, normal, operation, range, temperature, versa