Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2014 Versa Note Active Grille Shutter Forums > > 2014 Versa Note Active Grille Shutter 2014 Versa Note Active Grille Shutter
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Versa Nissan Versa Discussion Forum

Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 AM
2014 Versa Note

Default 2014 Versa Note Active Grille Shutter

I am hoping someone can share some knowledge with me.

I have been having a problem with exhaust fumes entering the vehicle, a check engine light, and the CVT not "shifting" to a lower velocity on the highway (high RPMs). I thought I had a cracked exhaust manifold (which I had read elsewhere was an issue with these new Versas. However, the service manager at the dealer says this is related to the failure of the active grille shutter and wants nearly $700 to replace it. He said, quote, "The grille shutter is considered a body part, thus not covered by my warranty."

Does anyone know if this grille shutter is electronically controlled or just mechanical in nature? If it is mechanical, I would think a cleaning and some WD-40 should do the trick. Anyone else have a problem like this?

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:42 AM
2015 Rogue

It is electrical and it is covered by the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. There is a service bulletin for an adjustment to resolve problems with it. A problem with the shutter would not cause exhaust to enter the car. Gasket failure between the exhaust manifold and front exhaust tube is common on these.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:03 PM
2014 Versa Note

Thanks for your reply. I have had the vehicle 1 and 1/2 years however I already exceeded the 36k mile mark. The service manager apparently doesn't know about or at least doesn't acknowledge the service bulletin. I am not even confident in their ability to tie their own shoes much less diagnose an issue with my car.

They did flash the transmission with new software on an active recall and I have not had a check engine light come back on (as of yet) and the shifting does seem to be normal again.

They could not smell the exhaust fumes because the idiot had the outdoor air vent closed. I will have to bring the car back for this issue but I know they are going to whack me with another $119 diagnosis fee. I don't know if my portfolio warranty (good for 60k miles) will cover the exhaust system. Any idea if a Nissan warranty will cover the exhaust system?
Old 02-22-2016, 02:35 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGinCT View Post
Thanks for your reply. I have had the vehicle 1 and 1/2 years however I already exceeded the 36k mile mark. The service manager apparently doesn't know about or at least doesn't acknowledge the service bulletin. I am not even confident in their ability to tie their own shoes much less diagnose an issue with my car.

They did flash the transmission with new software on an active recall and I have not had a check engine light come back on (as of yet) and the shifting does seem to be normal again.

They could not smell the exhaust fumes because the idiot had the outdoor air vent closed. I will have to bring the car back for this issue but I know they are going to whack me with another $119 diagnosis fee. I don't know if my portfolio warranty (good for 60k miles) will cover the exhaust system. Any idea if a Nissan warranty will cover the exhaust system?
Nissan warranty will not if you are over 36,000 miles. Your portfolio warranty may.

Tags
2014, active, grille, note, shutter, versa