Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2 Forums > > Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2 Oil Catch Cans. Do they work? Part 2 of 2
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 09-27-2021, 01:55 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2017 Titan Crew Cab

Default Oil Catch Cans. Do they work? Part 2 of 2

I normally use Mobil 1 synthetic 0w20 in the winter and 5w20 in the summer, changing the oil and OEM filter every 4k miles. 200 miles prior to the oil change I used a can of the CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner (part # 05319) and followed the instructions. (warm engine, inject the cleaner until empty, soak for one hour, then drive for ten miles). (I purchased seven cans of cleaner from Auto Barn because at the time, they had a special that if your purchased $100.00 or more, there was a 10% discount and free shipping).
The 200 miles of driving after the treatment was done because the existing oil would collect and retain any released residues after cleaning. It is also very important that the chemical does not come in contact with the Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF). I initially tried to remove the air intake, but the engine would not run. I found a vacuum port downstream from the MAF sensor and used that instead. (photos 11,12,13)
After driving for 200 miles, I drained the oil and found that it was extremely black in color which meant that the cleaner was working.
Removing and cleaning the catch cans was a surprise. I did not expect to find this much oil in the cans. There was approximately one ounce of oil in each can with at least one-half ounce in each sponges, for a total of three ounces. That’s a lot of oil that would normally be coating the intake valves. (photos 14,15,16,17,18,19)
After removing the sponges and draining the cans, I used paint thinner and cheap carb cleaner to clean out the cans and sponges.
The catch cans that I purchased have a screw type dip stick that has to be removed prior to removing the can. I indexed the can with a black marker so that the sponges can be inserted with a space for the dip sick so that it does not interfere when the sponge when installed. (photo 20)
Because I went approximately 45k miles before the initial cleaning, I performed another treatment before the next oil change. This time the oil came out much clearer, but the amount of oil in the cans were still about the same. I will continue to use the cleaner before each oil change until drains out looking normal and then I will go on a regular maintenance schedule.
One of the possible reasons that the volume of oil capture was more than I expected may be due to the cans being mounted in front and outside of the engine compartment where the incoming air may be cooling and condensing the oil vapor as it enters the cans.
Yes, catch cans work. Why some manufacturers do not have them or use alternate cleaning systems remains to mystery to me.
End part 2 of 2
rkm
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-11-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-12-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-13-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-14-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-15-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-16-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-17-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-18-jpg  

Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-19-jpg   Oil Catch Cans.  Do they work?  Part 2 of 2-photo-20-jpg  

Tags
cans, catch, oil, part, work