Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Will not shift from park or drive Forums > > Will not shift from park or drive Will not shift from park or drive
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM
jgregor

Default Will not shift from park or drive

I see there are a lot of intelligent individuals on this site and was hoping for an answer. I looked through some of the old posts and there was not an answer given to the issue I am having, or maybe I overlooked it. I have a 2005 Nissan Titan that has an automatic transmission with the shifting mechanism between the two front seats (not on the steering column). It will not shift from park. I use the manual override button to get into gear and when I try to shift out of drive, it will not let me do this until I use the override button.
There are brake lights when I push down on the pedal. I believe the issue is electrical and would like to know what other switches/sensors control the shifter lever to allow it to release out of park or drive. Does anyone have electrical diagrams or pictures or know what the issue might be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Do you heard a click noise when you press the brake pedal? If you don't then the shift lock solenoid may be stuck. It happens sometimes when you spill coffee or soda over the shifter. See attached image for location. If that is the problem, replacing the solenoid is probably the best solution, but you may try just spraying some WD40
Attached Thumbnails
Will not shift from park or drive-image02-gif   Will not shift from park or drive-image03-gif  
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM
jgregor

No clicking noise is heard. I did call a local dealer last week and he also mentioned this may be the case. I have only had the truck for a month, so I am not sure if something was spilled in this area. I will try to do this this weekend and get back to you. I appreciate your help.

Last edited by jgregor; 07-25-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
jgregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanTech View Post
Do you heard a click noise when you press the brake pedal? If you don't then the shift lock solenoid may be stuck. It happens sometimes when you spill coffee or soda over the shifter. See attached image for location. If that is the problem, replacing the solenoid is probably the best solution, but you may try just spraying some WD40
I inspected the solenoid and it seems to move freely and there is nothing I saw that was spilled in this area that would make it stick. I believe the issue is electical; either intermittent voltage, a poor ground or defective solenoid. Do you know the voltage reading that is supposed to be present at the solenoid when the brake pedal is pressed? Is there also a wiring diagram of the wires from the solenoid that run into the dash that is available? Someone installed a remote start system in this truck and it was VERY VERY poorly done. I am not sure if it was even installed correctly. Is there diagrams of the electrical system you may have that you can send my way? Appreciate your help
Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 AM
2005 Altima Sedan

Default Not shifting? Dome light not working? remove dome light and try to shift

OK, so my 2005 Nissan Altima was stuck in park. I pulled the tab and used a screwdriver to depress the park lock so I could get the car home. I read all the forums about this issue. According to the forums, it was either the fuse or the break switch. I dutifully checked all of the fuses and they were all fine. I checked the break lights and they were working fine. I did notice that many post mentioned the dome light, and sure enough mine was blown. I tricked the shifter with my screwdriver and drive to the auto-parts store. I removed the light bulb and noticed that I regained shifting function to the car. I replaced the light bulb and shifting was normal. So, my recommendations would be to first check to see if you have break lights, if you press the brakes and the lights do not come on, its likely the break switch at the top of the break pedal. Next check the dome light, if it does not come on, remove the cover and remove the bulb and try shifting. If that doesn't work, then test your fuses, starting with your 10 amps (in the panel near the drivers left knee)

Tags
drive, park, shift