Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
transmission overheating when towing Forums > > transmission overheating when towing transmission overheating when towing
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 AM
angiegingerich

Default transmission overheating when towing

We have a 04 crew cab titan and when we pull our 27ft jayflight 6500lbs our transmission is overheating , we run at veryhigh rpms before it shifts. We pull in 4 and tow mode. We are very concerned because we have not even pulled in any mountains and would like to.
Angie
Old 10-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Have you check the transmission fluid condition and level. The transmission may be low in fluid. Check the information in this bulletin:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB05-022.htm
Old 10-25-2005, 04:22 AM
angiegingerich

Default transmission overheating when towing

The dealer has our truck right now but claim that Nissan knows nothing about this problem and that they can not begin to diagnose until they can drive it and see the problem. We did bring down a trailer and my husband took them for a 5 min ride but it did not overheat in that short period of time also our diferental appears to have overheated and they seem to know nothing about that problem. HELP
Old 11-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Anonymous

Default Re: transmission overheating when towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiegingerich
We have a 04 crew cab titan and when we pull our 27ft jayflight 6500lbs our transmission is overheating , we run at veryhigh rpms before it shifts. We pull in 4 and tow mode. We are very concerned because we have not even pulled in any mountains and would like to.
Angie
Old 11-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Anonymous

Nissan dosen't want you to tow in 4 gear or you can damage the trans. I have an 04 titan to and do find that in warm conditions when the truck shifts down to 4 gear under load my trans heats up and when it shifts back to 5 the temp drops very fast. I also learned that the tow haul effects the shift point very little. Dealer gave me chart.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Titan4RV

We have a 2005 Crew Cab and are towing a 28 ft (actual box length) TT which weighs about 8000 lbs wet & loaded, plus bed full of RVing "stuff" under cap.

Just completed trip from AB/MT to CA down I-15 - lots of looong steeep grades. Trans and/or water temp barely moved on the longest & steepest. Truck would maintain 55mph everywhere but sometimes had to manually override Cruise Control.

We tow, with both CC and T/H on, at 55MPH. MPG varied from 10.6 to 11.8 after cap(topper) was installed. About 9.2mpg without the cap.

If you are having overheating problems with that load, there is definitely something not right. Suggest you arrange to take the TT out for a good run where you know it will overheat BEFORE you take it to the dealer and then pick up up the SM and continue the drive.

Good Luck
Old 11-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Titan4RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nissan dosen't want you to tow in 4 gear or you can damage the trans. I have an 04 titan to and do find that in warm conditions when the truck shifts down to 4 gear under load my trans heats up and when it shifts back to 5 the temp drops very fast. I also learned that the tow haul effects the shift point very little. Dealer gave me chart.
If you use your Cruise Control when towing, the electronics will determine which gear you should be in according to the load and the tranny will shift up and down as required.

However, if the tranny starts "hunting", or constantly shifting up and down, that usually means the set speed is on the cusp for the top gears If this happens its agood idea to either lock out OD or change the set speed. I have always used OD when towing and never had a drive line problem in over 50,000 miles towing TTs.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Anonymous

Default hot tranny & rearend

My 04 le 4x4, big tow, off road pkg. had a rear diff. overheating problem and the dealer knew all about it and replaced cover with aluminum one & replaced oil with synthetic high heat. I have pulled 35 ft. house trailer since and no problem. Here in Tenn. there are plenty of hills, the competetion can not match me on the road. Your dealer may not have a tech who is up to date on this, keep on bugging them or they will just blow it off. ALSO, the trans. cooling lines have been known to leak, remove 10mm bolt on trans. dipstick and checkit yourself at operating temperture. Hope this helps! SOME DEALERS ARE SHADY :twisted:
Old 06-15-2008, 05:27 AM
stocking_eater

my 04, with 41000 mi. just yesterday comeing up the driveway from the lake with a 2000 lb boat lost power, would not go over 2500 rpm, trans was hot. i turned truck off and restarted. all came back to normal and temp went down and made it to the house. never had that prob. befor. even with a trailer with 6, 1500 lb cows, or hard 4 wheeling on the pipe line in 3 ft of mud. i have 6'' of lift and 35x13 tires. now im worried my self.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

might think about a tranny cooler maybe here is a site B&M Racing & Performance Products they got other ones too

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate

Last edited by sergey85; 06-15-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

2005 Titan

Manual recommend towing in 4th. Towing in 5th will make the tranny work overtime and will cause overheating.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Learjet

try not using the tow mode, there are some who say the '04 model wouldn't let the torque converter lock up when using the tow mode. This was reported on '04 models only.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocking_eater View Post
my 04, with 41000 mi. just yesterday comeing up the driveway from the lake with a 2000 lb boat lost power, would not go over 2500 rpm, trans was hot. i turned truck off and restarted. all came back to normal and temp went down and made it to the house. never had that prob. befor. even with a trailer with 6, 1500 lb cows, or hard 4 wheeling on the pipe line in 3 ft of mud. i have 6'' of lift and 35x13 tires. now im worried my self.

I have seen this problem before on a 2004 Titan. Nissan ended up buying it back because the tech working on it couldn't figure it out. He replaced the trans and it still did the same thing. It ended up being a restriction in the cooler in the radiator. Replacing the radiator resolved the problem.

You should first check the fluid level to make sure it is full. The cooler lines on these leak all the time. For some reason the clamps don't hold the hoses on tight enough. We usually replace them with regular worm clamps.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:35 PM
2010 Titan King Cab

MPE 235,
since you are a Nissan Master cna youmplease answer this question for me.
I pull a 7800# camper with my Titan, No problems until i start over the mountains, then my Trans. start overheating. I try to keep it at around 2500 rpm's and it still pegs out the gauge. I really have problems backing it up my driveway, it's pretty steep. Iv've tried 2 wheel, 4 lo and 4 hi and all of them do the same thing. as soon as i start backing up the driveway, within 5 sec. i'm overheating the trans.
Any suggestions ????
Please help

Tags
overheating, towing, transmission