Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
cat problem P0430 code Forums > > cat problem P0430 code cat problem P0430 code
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Titan Nissan Titan Discussion Forum

Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM
tit2005

Default cat problem P0430 code

Keep getting P0430 code on bank 2, catalyistic effeciency low. . .or something to that effect. I had the cats examined and they are in excellent shape. No need to replace. I had the fuel rail pressure checked and it was fine, both running and off. I beleive I have a computer issue in the fuel curve. My o2 sensors seem to indicate it. Bank 1 sensor 1 runs around .31 mV + or -. The oppisit side Bank 2 sensor 1 runs .62 mV. That seems to be twice as high. Bank 1 sensor 2 is .59 mV and bank 2 sensor 2 is .65 + or -. Bank 2 side seems to be running rich, and that is where the code comes from. If it had less fuel to burn, then wouldn't it take care of the efficiency problem. The cat seems to be getting too much fuel to be efficient. How can that be corrected? Ecm reset or reprogram? 2005 with 26,000 miles. I would like any help as to how to get my nissan dealer to help me. Not to mention it might help with the mpg of 11.5. I would like to see 15. The truck is all stock. No mods of anything. Help please. Thanks. .. Josh
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
2015 Rogue

You are covered by the 8 year 80,000 mile warranty on the convertor. If they found code p0430 they should have replaced the cat. The manifolds crack and can cause irregular readings on the sensors.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:11 PM
tit2005

Ok on what you are saying. Even though the code indicated a cat problem, the convertors were ok. If it was to be assumed that the cats were ok, where would you go next? Thanks for the response. .. . Josh
Old 07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tit2005 View Post
Ok on what you are saying. Even though the code indicated a cat problem, the convertors were ok. If it was to be assumed that the cats were ok, where would you go next? Thanks for the response. .. . Josh
I have worked on hundreds maybe thousands of Nissans. Never once did I have one show a code for a catalytic convertor unless it actually needed one. A visual inspection is not enough to determine if a cat is bad. The best way is to monitor the rear oxygen sensor in a line graph pattern.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
tit2005

Will look into the line graph pattern. As far as the rear sensors after the cats are concerned, do the rear sensor readings affect the sensor readings of the front sensors. The voltage readings of the sensors off the exaust manifolds read a .31 mV on bank 1 side, and .62 mV on bank 2 side. They seem to be quite different for opposit sides of the motor. Curious on that. Thanks. . Josh
Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Will look into the line graph pattern. As far as the rear sensors after the cats are concerned, do the rear sensor readings affect the sensor readings of the front sensors. The voltage readings of the sensors off the exaust manifolds read a .31 mV on bank 1 side, and .62 mV on bank 2 side. They seem to be quite different for opposit sides of the motor. Curious on that. Thanks. . Josh
The rear sensors will not affect the other readings. They are only there to monitor the converter efficiency. The front readings being different could be caused by a small crack in the exhaust manifold allowing air into the system. The manifold and the convertor are one assembly on the Titan.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 AM
tit2005

Good to know. Looks like that will require a little work to get a good look at the manifolds. Even more work to get loose to replace them if needed. Could you tell me which sensor voltage looks like the correct one on a 5 wire wide band sensor? Either the .31 mV or the .62 mV. I figure the lower voltage is the ok one, but not sure. .. . .. Josh
Old 07-18-2009, 04:26 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Good to know. Looks like that will require a little work to get a good look at the manifolds. Even more work to get loose to replace them if needed. Could you tell me which sensor voltage looks like the correct one on a 5 wire wide band sensor? Either the .31 mV or the .62 mV. I figure the lower voltage is the ok one, but not sure. .. . .. Josh
I don't remeber the readings but I would say bank 2 is probably the incorrect one given the fact that it is showing a fault with that convertor.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM
tit2005

Ok. I do greatly appreciate the help. I was having trouble getting answers and places to begin at looking for the problems. Wish I could send the whole truck your way. Thanks again. I will be back with questions and results.. . . Josh
Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
tit2005

Default p0430

So here I go. I went ahead and replaced the right side catalytic convertor. I even replaced the 5 wire sensor, and the down stream 4 wire sensor. I did all that and the problem is still here. It won't go away. I get the p0430 cat efficiency code. I still think it is the ecm and a fuel map problem. The numbers show that the right side of the motor is getting twice as much fuel as the left side. Why is that? I get a reading of .31 on the left side, and a .60 on the right side. Both those are the up stream 5 wire sensors. No reset has ever fixed it. Is the fuel pulse width on the right side adjustable? Can you direct me towards the right place to address this? . . . Josh
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM
mdm47

Default help

2001 sentra 1.8. I have the code to and the car runs rough. Sometimes jerks. I know it uses about a pint of antifreeze every 3 weeks to, so I don't know if I have a head gasket leak that would affect the way its running and set this code

Last edited by mdm47; 04-28-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Tech Enthusiast
2005 Xterra

your 11 mpg is telling me that your air/fuel mixture is too rich... and its throwning the p0430 code.

best easy procedure is to disconnect your battery for 1 hour.... re-connect.... start engine and your ecu will be under air/fuel re-learning procedure..... 5 minutes to warm up engine.. no stop lights or stop signs.. you must go on open flat highway... keep rpm's at 2,000 . bring truck to 60mph and keep it at that speed for 20 minutes... exit and drive the same way on your way back...
take it easy on the gas for the next 5 days..
Old 08-03-2018, 04:35 AM
2005 Armada
2005 Armada

I have a 2005 Armada SE, at 160,000 miles. Last summer my truck started to act up the RPM would go really high when I pushed the gas and the speed wouldn't go up and I would bog out. I would pull off the road, turn my truck off let it sit for a minute and it would crank up fine. The service engine light never came on so I put SeaFoam into my gas filled it up and my truck started to run fine. Now, one year later my truck started to act up again the same exact way it did last summer. This time the Service Engine light came on so I went and had it diagnosed. I have the code P0430 that popped up twice but it's the same code (P0430) twice? Why is that and what does that mean? I'm really confused on why I would get the same code twice. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate the help.

Tags
cat, code, p0430, problem