Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Coolant Question. Forums > > > Coolant Question. Coolant Question.
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 AM
formula1dragon

Question Coolant Question.

Hi all, I have a question I would like to ask about my Nissan Terrano. She is a 1997 2.7 TDI Had a 1992 model, however that was stolen earlier this year, such a great car had to get another one...

Anyway, so far the motor has been great, however with no previous service history, I am worried my antifreeze needs to be changed. It has a lovely bright green colour coolant in the car at the moment.

So can I flush the motor and put in the longer life orange coolant in the motor, or does it have to be nissan green?

Thats it really. Thanks for your help guys and gals...

Heres a few pics of my Terrano's

My old one that was stolen...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/DSC03918.jpg

My new one, that now has GPS tracking on board so at least I can keep this one!!!

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/DSC_0308.jpg
Old 11-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

to Nissanhelp.com!! Nice Terrano.

I'm not familiar with the orange coolant you mention, do you have any specifications.

As far as I know you can not mix the orange with the green one, I know for sure you can mix it with the long lasting blue coolant, but I'm not sure with the orange.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:51 AM
formula1dragon

Thanks I was not going to mix it, I was going to completely flush the system and put in the longer life coolant. However I do not know if it is ok to put in my engine... Thats what I need to find out...
Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

Thanks Nissan Tech for the Info. on blue coolant. This is the first time I heard of this so I enlist the help of my friend, well, everybody's friend actually......google, lol. This coolant is manufactured in India by Sapphire Blue Industries. They make coolants for all types of engines from small to mega size deisels. They make the blue windshield wiper fluids too. The Company website said the blue coolant is accepted or suitable for newer Japanese cars: Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc. It seems to me the company is well established in Japanese market. They made no mentioned being marketed in North America. Are they on the 48 States?

Now the Red/Orange color coolants. I have read that GM used this on their cars called DEXCOOL and it created lots of problems that led to a class action suit. I don't know the status of that suit. Volkswagen has the same formula as DEXCOOL but the color is pink.

A while back I watched a video on youtube I think or could have been Scotty Kilmer who said do not mix green and orange. And Nissan Tech confirmed this when he said not mix green and orange. Now this is the interesting part............... the color has nothing to do with performance. It is used to defferentiate the type of rust inhibitor. My understanding is some makers use a slow action type therefore it last longer.

Also manufacturers have now switch to Organic Acid Technology (OAT) from Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT). One article mentioned that car makers said you can use red for newer cars. Their measure of newer is 10 years or under.

A couple months back for the first time I had to top off my coolan on my '02 Altima. I was at Wal-Mart and decided to buy its inhouse brand Super Tech ready mix anti freeze. It had the same ingredients verbatim as Preston ready mix. So its made by Preston. Preston claims you can use their ready mix whether your coolant is green or orange. I'll be changing soon and I'm sticking to green becuz I'm still confused, lol.

For those with inquiring mind, here's a link for further reading on coolants.

True Colors

Last edited by bennyb53; 11-11-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 AM
formula1dragon

Well went to my local repair shop, he said lets put this to bed once and for all!! So he checked his book. It said it must be green, so I brought a hydrometer and tested the fluid in the car and its good to -40 so just brought a bottle of green coolant and topped up... However for some reason the green is more expensive. Why this is I do not know. However I will stick with green...

To confuse my old terrano, same engine without intercooler, had orange coolant in it....

My old 92 was stolen so with insurance payout brought a newer 97 model... First time ever I have brought the same car after an older motor.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
2019 Sentra
2002 Altima

lol- it must be the best seller in the area. The store just made A Fistful Of Dollars more. I luv Clint Eastwood's western movies.

Tags
coolant, question