Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system Forums > > 2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system 2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
jessicamn123

Question 2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system

Ok I have some pesky issues with my 2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8 and I am kinda dumb when it comes to cars.
I'm having some problems with the cooling system. No heat, temp gauge goes up and back down randomly. My dad is a mechanic and has flushed it and changed the water pump last year. I took it to pep boys to test the system and see what the problem was. They said my thermostat wasn't opening so they took it off. They didn't have a replacement.
I got a new thermostat. My dad installed it. I drove down the road and it started doing the same thing. The problem is I noticed that there is an arrow pointing up and says "top" beside it and asked my dad if he paid any attention to that and made sure that was facing the top of the engine when he put it in and he said he couldn't remember.
Would putting the thermostat in upside down cause these issues?
Second...when we're working with refilling the system and working on it do we need to "bleed the system" to get air pockets out? and if so, does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Tech Enthusiast
2001 Maxima
1998 Pathfinder
2001 maxima 20th aninvers

yes you will have to get the air out of the system...but does the car run smooth? any hard starts in the am? coolant in the radiator disappearing? bad radiator cap?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM
jessicamn123

Since I've had it I've had a hard time starting it. I took it in a few months ago for the recall with the fuel system.
We replaced the radiator cap. Right now I'm not losing coolant but when I had the thermostat on it was going into the reserve jug and overflowing out and I was losing it that way.
Any suggestions of how to get the air out of the system? My dad can't seem to figure that out. He's used to older cars.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:47 AM
UinOrUout

Default 2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system

Hi Jess, do a compression check, my 2005 Sentra 1.8 is having the same issue, and it was due to the head gasket. Compression from one or more of your cylinders is pushing out of the head gasket, heating up the water and won't let any to the heater core.

I have just replaced mine, twice. Let me save you LOTS of money and time, do a compression check in all cylinders, you will find one or more leaking, replace the head gasket, (Head Gasket costs 80 bucks at the dealer) and get the head resurfaced, I didn't resurface the head previously and it did it again, however, it took 50,000 miles to figure this out.

The head is aluminum and once you overheat, it will warp, not by much, but enough to let hot air from your cylinder to escape causing your heating issues. (expert machinist told me mine was warped slightly) You can do what I did before I discovered this, replace the thermostat, (put it in boiling water to see it open), replace the water pump, replace the radiator, check water flowing from the heater core hoses, (not plugged) and you will come to the compression check, save yourself time from my experience....compression check! You will need your head gasket replaced and head resurfaced.

By the way, to bleed the cooling system, make sure the thermostat bleeder hole (with the dangling rod) is facing top. Jack up the car from the drivers side so its sitting up so the bubbles will exit, use a jackstand, not just the jack in case it fails. Follow the picture below, put a paperclip under the radiator cap as shown. Idle the engine up to operating temperature, then turn off the engine. Fill up the reservoir to a mark, and as the engine cools, the coolant will suck back in as cold contracts.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 sentra 1.8 Engine cooling system-bleeding-cooling-system-jpg  

Last edited by UinOrUout; 12-15-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Paul7880

I've been working on my 2005 Sentra with the same overheating problem. No heat to the heater core but engine overheats after only a short drive. It's setting on jack stands right now trying to bleed air out of the system. I took the thermostat out completely. Seen on other posts that air gets trapped in the system. I don't think there has been any excessive overtemp that would of caused a warped head. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 AM
musicprincess2003

Default sentra 05 cooling system

i'm having an issue with my 05 sentra. the temperature gauge keeps on moving up and down. i also realized that one radiator house is hot and the other is cold. The mechanic took out the thermosat and still having the same issue. The weird thing is my father drove the car approx. 180 miles and had no issues. when i did some local driving, the temperature gauge was flucuating. What is the cause of this? Thanks in advance
Old 11-06-2011, 08:40 AM
toiday

I have the same problem with my cooling system. I took it to one mechanic friend and he told me it couldn't be the engine head because the car is running very smoothly. He then checked the water pump and because it's not easy to remove it, he replace it anyway. Took out the thermostat and still not having the coolant circulated. The top hole is hot and the bottom one is cold. The heater is not warm at all. I then take it to another local mechanic I found in Yelp. I explain to him what we have done. 20 minutes later, he came out and told me there was a big pocket of air inside the engine. He bleed it and has to refill almost a gallon of coolant. Now the car is running great. Both top and bottom holes are hot. The heater blows warm air. One thing I want to know is how did he bleed the air from the engine block. The method that UinOrUout described may work but I don't think he could have don't it in such short amount of time. I try to look for the system bleeding bold but couldn't find it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 PM
2005 Sentra

Default Vent Bolt location 1.8l

Find the thermostat housing. The bolt it above the housing between the top 2 bolts. (it has a small washer on it) If you have the users manual it is in there.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:28 PM
2001 Sentra
W11 AVENIR

Hi guys,
Im from Sri Lanka. This is my first post. so pl bear with me if i make mistakes in the posting - ie- posting in the wrong place.. etc.
Ok i wanted to shed some light on the overheating issue, through experience with my 2001 qg18 engine. The car is a W11 Avenir. However i think QG 18 is a popular motor.
Car has 60K miles, Bought at that milage and drove around 1000Km and suddenly needle starts to rise! since its the first time, i just pull over, wait till cools and fill in coolant from rad which was less..... assumed has evaporated and i had not checked since i bought car
- car runs for 200Km's and over heats again
-Remove thermostat Valve and run
-Runs about another few 100Km's and overheats again
- Purge system and change radiator cap
-Runs more than before, maybe 500Km's and overheats again
-Change another cap, run 600Km fully loaded on hills, highway etc. no prob
- Then overheats again

happening since march 2012

all the time, coolant boils over and is expelled from tank and radiator, water flow also not consistant as if air in the sys

Last week took off head!.. found slight crack on HG between 2-3.
Re faced head (30 USD, for skimming and pressure testing), bought genuine HG -37 USD,original new thermostat valve- 22 USD, genuine fan sensor 32 USD and labour 80USD
Ok i know its cheap here, but a12 year old car is over 15Thousand dollars in SL (what we save on repairs, we pay in taxes!!!)

Now run only 200Km and still nothing, still checking and hope problem is sorted

My bug question is, If it was the HG all along, can the problem be intermittent???? can i come n go???
thanks to all for reading my long post patiently..
have a good day
cheers
Old 12-13-2016, 10:35 AM
2004 Sentra

Default Coolant overflows from reserve and temp gauge shows overheating

Hi, I seem to have similar situation described here. When temp goes above the normal range I lose heat so I check my radiator and it seems to lose coolant (1 quart) every 2 days of driving (50 to 100 miles). Then I noticed that all the extra quart or 2 of coolant that I added to the radiator is back flowing into the reservoir and shooting out the overflow hole.
Alos, No white smoke from exhaust, no coolant leaking into engine oil or tranny. no leaks on the hoses or radiator or underneath the car and car drives very smooth.
Could it be the radiator or thermostat or the hoses?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Radiator or thermostat could be an issue. So could a faulty cooling fan. A common problem on these engines is blown head gaskets. A compression and cylinder leakdown test would tell you for sure.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:29 PM
2004 Sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj999smj View Post
Radiator or thermostat could be an issue. So could a faulty cooling fan. A common problem on these engines is blown head gaskets. A compression and cylinder leakdown test would tell you for sure.
Thanks for the info. If head gasket is blown then wouldn't I see white smoke out of the tailpipe or coolant mixed with oil?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 PM
2005 Sentra
2005 Sentra

Default It's the head gasket....

I haven't been on this forum for quite a while but decided to chime in on this subject. 2005 1.8 S with currently 136K. AT 86K I had all the same symptoms. First started with when I would start it up cold it would run with a miss for a few minutes and then it would run fine. A few months later I was driving (winter) and had no heat. I was on the way home and maybe 15 miles to go and started to over heat. Made it home. I tried everything mentioned on here. Pulled the water pump and it was okay and even tried running without a t-stat. All kind of funny things happen when there is a head gasket leak and one of them is that there is a loss of circulation...even without the t-stat. I started reading posts on here and found that there was a common head gskt problem with these engines. I was still in denial until I decided to pull the plugs one morning and sure enough there was moisture in one of the cylinders. Replace headgasket 50K and all is still good. I'm not sure how far back you have to go on this subject but when I had my problem there was quite a lot of discussion....most of it was shotgun solutions...'bad water pump, bad t-stat, need to vent the air out, bad radiator...and on and on"...I wanted it to be something other than the HG but there it was...all along.

Tags
2005, 2005 nissan sentra, cooling, engine, engine cooling system, sentra, system