Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Massive Vibration @Idle while in gear--bad exell Forums > > Massive Vibration @Idle while in gear--bad exell Massive Vibration @Idle while in gear--bad exell
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 07-19-2008, 04:45 PM
jhaga

Default Massive Vibration @Idle while in gear--bad exell

Please help me! My wifes 2000 Sentra w/170,000 miles was driving along just fine and suddenly began to vibrate while stopped. Here are some symptoms:

*Bad excelleration

*Very bad vibration at idle, and idle seems low. Feels like an old V8 running on 7 cylinders. It shakes the whole car.

*When in nuetral and and park the vibration is perceptable, but minimal.

*The only codes it threw were speed sensor and vacuum cut valve.

*Spark plugs didnt fix it.

*Runs ok at speed, but has lower power and shifts hard from 1st to 2nd (I think it has done this for awhile actually)

*when driving at speed, there is a perceptable "pulse" in the gas pedal, like im feeling a misfire at regualr intervals. No misfires were reported on the code reader.

Last edited by jhaga; 07-19-2008 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

All the symptoms seem to be related to the engine misfire. A common problem is a bad ignition coil.

Try disconnecting the ignition coils one by one and notice which coil makes no difference when is disconnected.

Once you find the bad cylinder, swap the coil with one of the other cylinders. If the problem follows the coil, then the problem is the coil. If the problem persist in the same cylinder, even with other coil, then the problem could be a bad injector or the wiring to that cylinder.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 PM
jhaga

Thx for the tip, I was considering that very test, but I was unsure exactly where the coils were located on her car.

I am assuming they are the assembly that screws into the valve/cam cover and sits directly on the spark plug, with a molex style connector/wires coming from the harnes that runs parallel to the fuel rail. This right? its the 1.8 btw.

I would not have thought about switching coil locations though, good idea.

Also, the first cyclinder on the left, when looking at the motor from under the hood, had some oil on the piston and spark plug, the rest looked dry with some small specks of metal and some light tan deposits on the electrodes.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
I am assuming they are the assembly that screws into the valve/cam cover and sits directly on the spark plug, with a molex style connector/wires coming from the harnes that runs parallel to the fuel rail. This right? its the 1.8 btw.
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Also, the first cyclinder on the left, when looking at the motor from under the hood, had some oil on the piston and spark plug, the rest looked dry with some small specks of metal and some light tan deposits on the electrodes.
Considering the miles on your Sentra, it's normal, but you can fix that by replacing the valve cover gasket.

You can find more information on how to test the coils and injector in the "Engine Control" section of the service manual. You can download the section free from here: Knowledgebase - 2000 Sentra - Nissanhelp.com
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 AM
jhaga

Awsome, thanks for the help and the resources!
Old 07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
jhaga

You were spot on, the cylinder that had the oil build up was the one missing, and the miss followed the coil. $79.99 and a two day wait and it will be fixed. Cant thank you enough.

James
Old 07-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Excellent!

You should consider replacing the valve cover gasket as well, it's not a difficult job.

Tags
@idle, exell, gearbad, massive, vibration