Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
96 sentra with Top end noise Forums > > 96 sentra with Top end noise 96 sentra with Top end noise
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 06-19-2008, 12:03 PM
schoust

Default 96 sentra with Top end noise

Hello Guy's and Gal's! I am new to this Forum and just purchased a 96 Nissan Sentra that has around 200k on the engine and trans. The car was very clean except for the oil leaks ( there were many!) I have repaired all the leaks inspected the timing chain and replaced the upper guide,changed the oil and tranyfluid also the filters all looked good. I also tuned up the car with everything that I could through at it. The only thing that i have not looked at is the timing which will be done this weekend. My problem is the car is down on power and has a top end noise when the motor hits peak torque (as the trans shifts) this to me being a mechanic is very disturbing for sure! I have to say that this engine internally was extremely clean and the indications are that it was taken care of besides the oil leaks that is. I suspect that this person sold the car due to this problem? The car made no noise when I bought it has zero blow by and burns No oil again all indicators of a well treated engine in my book? I guess my first steps will be to check the oil pressure,(which seems fine because there is huge volumes of oil in the rocker box) and maybe do a compression test. From there I need to know what you recommend? I have the factory Manuel and IMO there seems to be a problem with valve actuation? The cams look great but I suspect that the valves just are not opening all the way?? Please help I can't really afford anything else at this time Lol! Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
2004 Xterra

Quote:
My problem is the car is down on power and has a top end noise when the motor hits peak torque
After reading your post a few times, the only thing I can think of that can produce both problems is the time setting. Why did you replaced the upper guide? if the guide was broken then it is possible that the chain jumped. I suggest to check the timing before doing any other repairs.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 AM
schoust

I replaced the upper guide because of a small amount of noise that was emmiting from the cover area. I also had been doing research and heard that this was a common failure point with this kind of milaege. The guide was not broken just worn. I must say that the chain and sprokets and cams all look like they are new! I think the previous owner did the maintenance for sure because of the cleanlyness inside the engine. As far as the timming goes I will check it for sure but I can honestly say that it runs very smoth for a car that is out of time? If that were the senerio wwouldn't the engine be a bit twitchy? I will be honest I do not have any experiance with the foriegn car scene but I have been working on American cars for as long as i can remember and have several older cars. That being said I am in another World now!
Thanks

Tags
end, noise, sentra, top