Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Drifting side to side in snow Forums > > Drifting side to side in snow Drifting side to side in snow
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Macstar

Default Drifting side to side in snow

Hey all. I just got my new Nissan Sentra 2008 base model two weeks ago. I commute to work everyday and I live in upstate New York. I am having problems driving in the snow.

The car jerks left and right while driving on snow covered roads. The best way I could describe is a slight drifting to the right and left. I am not sure what could be causing this but it is very frustrating. I am using the stock tires so maybe that could be the problem but I am still unsure. Does anyone else have this problem or do they know what it could be?

Is it the fact that I am using non all-season or snow tires?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:53 PM
mxhdroom

Hi Macstar,

All-season tires are a compromise and will not perform as well as snow tires. Your wandering problem may be due to just a lack of traction from the all-seasons. I assume your alignment is OK due to the car being new, but if you've hit any bad potholes lately that may be worth looking into. Check your tire pressures as well - uniformity is key, not necessarily the amount of pressure per tire.

I have the older version of the Sentra (2006) and I change to snow tires here in Ontario (not that far from you, probably :)) in mid-November every year. Even if the roads are dry, all-season or summer tires do not work well in cold temperatures. I use 15" Toyo G-05s on steel wheels during the winter, and my car tracks as straight as an arrow at highway speeds (and beyond) on snow-covered roads. If the suspension wasn't so stiff it would make a great rally car. I'm very confident in its abilities to handle bad weather. With the stock 17" Contis, it would be deadly.

I think you should invest in steelies and snows for next winter, and see if it makes a difference. I would almost guarantee it will.

Good luck!

G.

Last edited by mxhdroom; 02-29-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:33 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

A good set of snow tires is the best call. Had same problem with my mother-in-law who lives way up north michigan. Put snow and now everyone is happy.

Tags
drifting, side, snow