Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Stalling at Idle... Forums > > Stalling at Idle... Stalling at Idle...
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 AM
matthewscott

Default Stalling at Idle...

This is a long story but PLEASE read it through... I need HELP!

2000 Nissan Sentra GXE 1.8L Auto

My car stalls at idle intermittently. The rpms fluctuate and then suddenly the car just shuts off. This can happen any time my foot is not on the gas, like when I'm taking a freeway exit!

I have been to 3 mechanics. I have had my fuel injection system professionally cleaned and the alternator replaced.

The dealership told me that I needed a new MAF and that there was moisture in the computer. I replaced the MAF but problems persist. However, the code being thrown has changed from "System too lean" to P0440 and P0420.

Should I replace the computer? I don't have confidence in that diagnosis b/c they said the MAF was causing the symptoms and replacing it did not help. Should I have someone replace the CAT first which is much cheaper...

I am desperate! Any advice would be GREAT!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM
nomadrews

Default ECM Maybe?

I have had similar problems with my 2002 Sentra GXE 1.8L. In June itshut down at a stop sign and went into fail safe mode. I replaced the MAF sensor and still hand problems, so I got a new ECM, which worked for a while. Recently, within the last week my car has done the same thing you are describing stalling, but at stops and redlights. Finally, I broke down and took it to the dealer. They adjusted the Idle and everything seems good. They also suggested that I replace the ECM again (I don't really care about this because the part is still under warranty. I said that to say this: NISSAN may not really know what's going on, so approach them with caution).

I hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 AM
moparmarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadrews View Post
NISSAN may not really know what's going on, so approach them with caution
I can't agree more

My car is currently at the dealer for a similar issue. It's been stalling randomly at idle, then last Thursday started idling really rough and bucking. Took it to the dealer than they replaced the MAF sensor. When I went to pick it up, the car was doing the exact same thing as when I brought it in.

They claimed that they needed to do more diagnostics. Needless to say, I was pissed that they had me spend the money for a part I don't really believe I needed. They agreed to continue diagnosing the problem free of charge, but I doubt they'll find anything. Whatever they do find, I'm not planning on paying them another dime for it.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
mdkarle

My mother's 2000 Sentra is doing the same thing. When she stops at a red light or stop sign, it will idle down and stop running. She then has to start it up again to go but sometimes she must keep her foot on the gas or it dies but sometimes not. A longtime friend and mechanic put a computer on it and it came back with an O2 Sensor error code which was said to be bad but that was replaced at $175.00 for the sensor which cleared the error code but it still has the problem. The computer gives no more error codes. This mechanic is a good and honest guy who has worked on our vehicles for years. He only charged for the part and nothing for the hours of labor he spent trying to find the problem because the problem is still unsolved. He is now baffled as to what it could be. He is suggesting the dealership. What does anyone think?

Last edited by mdkarle; 12-06-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 AM
moparmarc

Well, the dealer found that the ECM was bad so they replaced it free of charge (isn't the ECM warrantied for 80,000 miles anyway?). That fixed the bulk of the issue, but the car still idles rough and wants to stall; more so when cold than once I've been driving for a while. Service Engine Soon light is still on.

Going back in next week...
Old 12-12-2007, 10:22 AM
klurka

i have the exact same issue with mu 2000 sentra gxe. it stalls at stop lights and i have to start it again. it wasn't doing it before but it started to show very little response to my gas press so i was told it was air flow sensor which i replaced and the problem went away but along came this new stalling issue. And my fuel economy is cut to half e.g. 12mpg its killing me. i took it to nissan dealer and they say i need oem sensor now cuz aftermarket is no good.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
moparmarc

The dealer found a bad coil (#4 cylinder) and replaced my catalytic converter under warranty (apparently it had broken up inside and parts had moved down the tailpipe). They also replaced my spark plugs, claiming that they could not warranty the cat if they let me drive away with non-OEM plugs. What a racket.

It's definitely driving better now. No more stalling or check engine light.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Kevin Leahy

Default Mass Air Flow Sensor

My son has a 2000 Sentra 1.9L and it had been stalling at red lights and stop signs. We just replaced the mass air flow sensor. I believe this has been a recall for other Sentras. Just curious as to how many of us have had to replace this part. It is a dangerous problem as the car could stall on the highway. The car has only 59,000 miles. I was told that the computer and catalytic converter is warrantied to 60,000 miles. The MAF sensor was just replaced on Friday so I'm crossing my fingers that nothing else goes wrong.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
chota

if MAFS is mulfunctioning and ECM is in fail safe mode, then your engine should not go more than 2400 rpms for a long time , it could go for a short time but can not drive at that speed for a long time.
and if ECM is fully in fail safe can not go more than 3000 rpms (need replacement)
how about the throttle position sensor, and batt/alternator circuit?
and last thing engine coolant temp sensor ,
i will simplay say that download service manual (engine control)and have a look at Trouble diagnosis general description.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:16 AM
matthewscott

Default Original Poster: Problem Fixed

So, I broke down and took it to a different Nissan dealer in my area. They replaced the after market MAF I installed and $750.00 later my problems were resolved.

While it was there, I also had them give me an oil change. Well apparently the dealership forgot to tighten the engine oil valve. A week later it fell out and my engine is now damaged. They are repairing it free of charge, but COME ON!!!! I can't win...
Old 01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
klurka

does any one also incurred fuel economy cut to half with this stall problem?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

2001 sentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewscott View Post
So, I broke down and took it to a different Nissan dealer in my area. They replaced the after market MAF I installed and $750.00 later my problems were resolved.

While it was there, I also had them give me an oil change. Well apparently the dealership forgot to tighten the engine oil valve. A week later it fell out and my engine is now damaged. They are repairing it free of charge, but COME ON!!!! I can't win...

sounds like you scamed them good. oil pressure warning light is enough indication to turn off your engine, if you have a clue. do you?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM
sentraniss

Default Mechanic Found problem Dealer did not.

I have a 2000 sentra and we've been having this stalling problem for a few years. It's particulary bad when it is cold,
My mechanic finally found the problem , It is the idle control valve , but fixing that alone will not fix the problem, you have to replace the computer too. He tried fixing it on another nissan and it didn't work so he lost money on the part as the customer didn't want to fix the computer.
This must be a defect on part of nissan since so many 2000 and 2001 cars are experiencing the same thing.
Class action law suit anyone?
This is ridiculous- I can't consciously sell this bum car to someone else. And Nissan won't respond when you write them. How else can we get their attention?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

Yes,The ECM is at fault. I've replaced several on the sentras. As for the MAF sensor, simply replacing it without doing a volume air/idle learn proceedure will only cause more problems. The dealership should have done this for you when they installed the new ECM.Also some models with certain VIN numbers had there ECM's reprogrammed.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:53 AM
2000 Sentra

I was experiencing the same problem during stop lights or stop and go traffic where the car would die. It would start up with no problem. I would also see RPM fluctuations when idling with RPM's dipping down to the 300's before the idle would readjust or die. After trying to clean the MAF, the car only drove much worse. I then replaced it and it's been running fine for the week since then. I hope this helps others who have been having the same issue. I know this thread says that for most they found the issue was the ECM but for me, replacing the MAF worked.

Tags
idle, stalling