Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Mass Airflow Senser Repair Forums > > Mass Airflow Senser Repair Mass Airflow Senser Repair
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 AM
nkilgore

Default Mass Airflow Senser Repair

I have a 2001 SEntra GXE that was diagnosed as needing a new MAF sensor by two differnet repair shops. they both wanted $4 - $500 to make this repair. I've seen on-line where I can buy a reconditioned MAF for about $150. I'm not a gear head by any means but on this car the unit is very easy to get to, so I'm thinking I should be able to take off the bad MAF senser and slap the new one on myself. My concern is that the repair shop's say there is some computer reprogarming that needs to be done with a MAF replacement. I'm skeptical and don't know if that's true or not. My question is there a simple way to do this repair with out the need for any special equipment or diagnostics? Or will I really mess things up by trying to do this on my own?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:50 PM
penji

I payed over $1000 CAD at the dealership to get my sentras MAF changed. ABSOLUTE RIP OFF!! will never go to the dealership again. NEVER. and i advice you to do the same.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM
nkilgore

I agree! Thats why I'm on this site trying to find antoter solution. During my lunch hour I went to the local PeP Boys auto parts/service center. They just told me if I buy the part they will install and clear the codes for about $45.00! That sounds great, but then again you know what Mom used to say about something that sounds to good to be true.... but for a total of $195 versus as much as $500, I just may be willing to take the chance!
Old 10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

2006 Pathfinder LE

If you download the manual for your car from here you will see the MAF housing is held in with 4 bolts and a worm clamp. You could change this yourself within 10 minutes and then have the local Autozone clear your codes for free. If your MAF really was bad then your check engine light will stay off. If not you'll know soon enough.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:11 PM
nkilgore

Thanks Blink32, great advice! I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
nkilgore

Well, I got my MAF part ordered on line for $150, recieved it and took it to my local Pep Boys on Saturday who put it on for me and cleared the codes for $49. After the repair the car ran great with the new MAF, with the exception that it stalled out (it's a 5 speed manual) when ever I stopped at a traffic light or stop sign. This happened for about the first 20 miles then went away and worked fine for the next 20 miles or so. So I parked it for the rest of the day. When I went out on Sunday morning the stalling started happening again. Its the wierdest thing, which makes me think it's got something to do with the codes as this did not happen until I put the new MAF sensor on. Any ideas anyone? Is it possible that the codes were not fully cleared?

Last edited by nkilgore; 10-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:49 PM
2015 Rogue

I have seen alot of problems with aftermarket airflow meters. You could try another one but you will probably end up having to go with the oem sensor.
ASE Master Certified.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 AM
nkilgore

So you don't seem to think it has anything to do with the code but is more likley an inferior quality MAF? I took the car back to Pep Boys this morning. They tell me now that the generic tool they use to clear the codes probably isn't sufficient and that I'll likley have to take it to the dealer as they have the special "Nissan" tool that will get the proper idle restored. He also suggested that I might first park the car and run it with all the accesories at ful blast for about 30 min and that might reset the idle. I tired that this morning too and it didn't work either...as soon as I drove off and came to a stop at the next traffic light, the car cut-off again. I guess I'm stuck going to the Nissan dealer for them to clear the code after all ($89!!)
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM
turtle-wax

I'm having same issues..

Please let us know if you find a soulution for this
Old 10-31-2007, 04:19 PM
deeznuts

If you are so worried about the code then, what code are you getting? Chances are whatever it is, it has something to do with the mass airflow. Nissan's have always been picky with their electronics, that's why the aftermarket are so cheap.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 AM
nkilgore

Here’s the latest guys: On Wednesday the Nissan Dealer ran their diagnostics and said the aftermarket MAF sensor I bought isn’t working properly, and that’s why the car can’t hold its idle. In fact, the Dealer is also telling me that the MAF is causing the fuel mixture to run “rich,” so rich that it has now damaged my catalytic converter. They say the diagnostic retrieved a code “DTC PO430 for Bank 2 Converter Failure.” The bottom-line? Al together the Dealer says it would cost $1592 for repair. That would be for parts and labor for a new OEM MAF sensor and a new OEM Catalytic converter. Can you believe it? Meanwhile, the car still runs like a champ with the exception of the loss of idle when I stop at traffic lights or stop signs ( happens about 60% of the time).

Interestingly enough, when I called the after market parts supplier who sold me the MAF (1A Auto.com) to complian about the unit they sent me, they told me that the Nissan’s are known for their MAF problems and they sell a lot of MAF’s with no problems,. They were very helpful and are willing to exchange the part for free, which is good…but the sales rep also mentioned to me that a problem with a cylinder misfiring or running incorrectly is often mis-diagnosed as a MAF problem. Which of course now adds a brand new dynamic to my worries. I can only assume that the Dealers diagnostic test would have revealed a cylinder problem…but who knows? I sure as heck don’t!

In any event a $1600 repair for a 6 year old Sentra with 118,000 miles is a non-possibility for me. So I’m still searching for an answer. I’ve already got about $600 tied up in this problem between the aftermarket MAF, its installation, and three separate diagnostics (not to mention one cleaning of the old MAF before I actually purchased the aftermarket unit—by the way the cleaning gave me about more 6 weeks of life on the old MAF). Anyway, after all this I’m still no closer to having this problem solved. In fact if it’s true I need to get my converter replaced, I’ve actually created another problem. I don’t know what I’m going to do next. I guess I could send back the aftermarket MAF for an exchange on the outside chance that it is defective…but that’s not going to address the converter problem. Any chance that it could correct itself if I get the MAF issue worked out? What about a potential cylinder issue rather than a MAF problem as the after market guy suggested...anyone think that could really be my problem? I’m open for ideas guys!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM
2015 Rogue

The maf problem is the most common problem. If you had a misfire you would usually get a code for that.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:07 AM
superkk

Okay so I had the same problem as Nkilgore. I went to the dealership from the beginning and they told me it was the mass airflow meter. Which they fixed no problem and then needed to reprogram my computer and change my air filter which is what they said caused the problem in the first place. All in all cost me $980, but well worth it. When it comes to problems like this I go straight to the dealership b/c they know the cars best. The service advisor at nissan also told me to only use Nissan air filter's in Nissan vehicles. Aparantly they have found when other after market air filers are used they do something to the vehicles and causeing the air flow meters to need to be replaced.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
nkilgore

superkk, in this case, I have to agree with you. I think the key thing you said is "when it comes to problems like this." If I had not gotten in a hurry and had done more research on the problem on the front-in (like through this forum for instance) I would have found out that there is a history of problems with air flow meters on this car. Further, I would have found out that aftermarket parts for this type of product (for this car anyway) quite frequently are a waste of money. To add insult to injury, that defective aftermarket part caused my catalytic converter to be damaged and I wound up having to replace it as well. I don't even want to think about how much $$ and aggravation this ordeal has ultimately cost me. Trying to save a few bucks has wound up costing me at least twice as much in the end. To finish my story, in case anyone is interested, I did wind up buying a new Air Flow Meter and Catalytic Converter from Nissan. The car now runs better than new, but it was hell getting there. I went ahead and had the dealer do it because at the end of the day the repair was still cheaper than new car payments. Oh well, my lesson learned: When it comes to electronic engine componets...don't mess around with Nissans. Just go to the dealer and get it done. I'll pay a pretty penny no doubt, but at least I won't be throwing good money after bad by trying to get it fixed on the cheap!
Thanks to all who contributed to this discussion!

Tags
airflow, mass, repair, senser