Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
Can a chipped brake pad ruin a rotor? Forums > > Can a chipped brake pad ruin a rotor? Can a chipped brake pad ruin a rotor?
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 03:52 AM
importrev

Default Can a chipped brake pad ruin a rotor?

I tried to install my rear pads and it was not as easy as the front ones.....the piston would not go in. I even broke the tool used to push the piston back in !

Are there any special clips or anything?

Anyway, I had no choice but to put the old pads back in, except one of them had a chip in the corner in the process of removal.

The corner stuck out about 4-6mm give or take and i could hear slight grinding when i turned the wheels by hand. However, there was no noise when I drove and no problems with braking. Any chance this could've stratched up the rotor or would it simply polish down when i drive / braked?

I'm getting the brakes installed by a tech but not sure if ill have to dish out for another rotor.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Master Enthusiast

2004 sentra

Yes.!? Why didn't you clip it /or better grind it?
"ill have to dish out for another rotor. "-----TWO ROTORS!
HOPE IT WILL NOT DEMAGE YOUR ROTOR!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 PM
zxcvb531

Default You cant push disk brake piston back on rear brakes

rear pistons have to be turn clockwise inward cant be push in they have to turn closewise, there tool available but if caliper not too tight you can use wide blade but strong to turn caliper inward, the pad cannot damage the rotor unless you install crookit but then you cant put bolts on the caliper to hold pads

Last edited by zxcvb531; 08-25-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

i always used a c clamp and pulled them in, are nissans different with the twist? I never heard of that.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
Master Enthusiast
2005 Frontier Crew Cab Frontier Crew Cab
05 nissan frontier

If there there are 4 notches on the pistons then they rotate clockwise to push then in.Very common practice.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM
zxcvb531

rear disk piston have to be turn back in not push not like front piston. I should know I have sentra with 2.5l and abs with 4 wheel disk brakes also a honda accord with same and done both front and rear disks pads replacements as well as turned rotors. I live in somewhat hills that have to change pads every 35-40K

Last edited by zxcvb531; 08-26-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Master Enthusiast
2002 Maxima

huh i think you may have damaged the caliper but anyways autozone lets you rent the tool you need to do that for free

2002 Maxima GLE Silver on Black
| Berk Intake w/AEM Dryflow | Clear Sidemarker Lights w/PIAA L.E.D|PIAA L.E.D Courtesy and Licence Plate Lights|PIAA White Fogs |Fibre Customs EyeLids | 5% Limo Tint | Brembo Blanks and Hawk HPS Pads |Ebay FSTB|CATTMAN RSB| NWP VIAS Block plate and NWS Spacers| OEM Spoiler | 07 350 z rims on 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle GT tires| Megan Racing OE-RS Catback |

in training

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Subscribe or Donate
Old 08-29-2009, 02:39 AM
Enthusiast
2009 Altima Coupe
2009 Altima Coupe

Thumbs up

Talked to a friend who does his Altima brakes. Told me about the screw in thing. Said Pepboys or Auto Zone sells a Universal tool for this and is worth the $12 it costs. Glad I read this site. I never had a car that had the screw-in. Did Pontiac,Chevy and Dodge brakes all squeezed in. Does anyone know if Subaru brakes are like this too? Thanks, Whit

Tags
brake, chipped, pad, rotor, ruin