Login  |  Register
Nissanhelp.com - All About Nissan
Do-It-Yourself Maintenance Owners Manuals Recalls/Campaigns Service Bulletins Service Manuals Nissan OBDII Codes Glossary & Acronyms More...
Member's Ride Photos Stock Photo Gallery
Classifieds - For Sale Classifieds - Wanted To Buy Classifieds - Mechanic Wanted Classifieds - Auto Services Search Auto Parts
Register FAQ Social Groups Mark Forums Read
2004 sentra 1.8s    gas spills out when pumping Forums > > 2004 sentra 1.8s    gas spills out when pumping 2004 sentra 1.8s gas spills out when pumping
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Sentra Nissan Sentra Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
mcoatz

Default 2005 sentra gas spills

OK People
Wake up and smell the coffee!
The 05 sentra has a recall under the NHTSA for the same problem as the 04 model. I have 2005 and experiance the gas spillage all the time. I am fed up and they have replaced the tank 4 times now. When will Nissan USA be held accountable. I read on another page that a woman and her child burned to death at the pump when there was a gas spill coming back up from the tank. The ignition source was hot exhaust!
Do we wait for one of us to burn to death before justice takes hold???!!!
Old 07-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Enthusiast

2003 sentra

FYI, I solved my inability to refuel problem (big swoosh when I removed gas cap but it won't take gas from the gas station pump except a few pennies at a time) by replacing the evap cannister vent control valve. It is attached to the evap cannister behind the drivers side wheel. It allows the tank to vent when the key is off, but blocks the venting when ignition is turned on. These valves are prone to rusting inside, causing them to stick. If it sticks closed, it won't vent and you can't refuel, nowhere for the gas vapors to escape except back out the filler tube in your face. Part number for 2003 sentra is 14935-AM60B.
Easy to install. In Canada the part cost 129.00 but in the USA you guys will get it for about 79 bucks. Download the engine control section of the service manual from the knowledgebase on this site, look up Onboard Refueling Vapor Recovery section, and Evaporative Emission System section for details of testing, removal, and operation. Good luck on the fix.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

I'm having the same problem with my '04. The check engine light came on a few weeks ago shortly after refueling. The car has been reluctant to start as well. I've been waiting until my next oil change to take her in but, just the other day, I started experiencing the spillage problem.

So, after a little internet research, it seems I might need a vent control valve. I've peeked under the car to try and locate it.. but, I haven't been able to locate a good diagram online of what I'm looking for exactly. I see what appears to be the evap canister enclosed in a plastic manifold... but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have a clear picture of what I'm looking to change and where it's at? It seems to be becoming a common problem for Sentra owners. It might be nice to have a clear picture of what needs to be done and where it is. The service manual diagrams aren't real clear to a layman like myself on the scale or location of this thing. If someone can give me a clear description of it... I'd be happy to document my EVAP adventure with hi-res photos. ;)

One more thing... I could've sworn there used to be a metal flap that covered the refueling hole under the gas cap... but I'm not seeing it.. and now I'm not sure if it was just my imagination or if it's stuck open.

It's so hard to pick up chicks at the gas pump when you've got gas gushing onto your shoes.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

2003 sentra

Go to page EC-878 in the 2003 sentra service manual. It has a good sketch of it. The preceding pages describe how it works. I assume the 2004 is the same, but if you go to your service manual, under DTC P0447 it may show it there.
I will describe where it is on the 2003. ---if you crouch down by the drivers rear wheel and look behind the wheel, you will see the EVap cannister with an electical connection leading to the evap can control valve. To get it out, take the plastic cover off that is under the evap cannister. One bolt at the front of the cover and 2 plastic push tabs that you pry out with a screwdriver at the rear. Once the plastic protection cover is off, you will see the evap control valve on the side closest to the left(driver side). It has a large rubber hose, with no clamp leading away from it, curving and going to the rear bumper area. This is the vent hose that takes vapors to the atmosphere by the bumper. Pull that big hose off and turn it out of the way. There is an electrical connection on the top. Depress the little tab at the top so the back end lifts up and pull the connector back. It can be tough to get it off if it is dirty, so clean it real good first, maybe blow some air to get the dirt off. Once you get the electric wires off the top, then simply turn it counterclockwise about quarter turn, and pull it out of the hole. Installation is the reverse. Look at PAGE EC-1208 AND 1209 FOR OTHER EXCELLENT PICS OF IT. I downloaded the service manual pages from this site, they are in the Engine Control section. Compare 2003 to 2004 before you begin, they will be on different pages in the respective manuals, but i suspect these parts are the same.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:05 PM
steve_97

Default The Gas Filling problem

This happened on my 2004 Sentra 1.8 S. I first told the gas station owner something is wrong with the pressure of their pumps. After going to several stations with the same problem, I was lucky enough to find all of these great posts to help me resolve...anyone know if there are after market parts and the cost as compared to the Nissan part?

I'm surprised there is not a recall for my specific car for the vent problem. It also had a problem with the crankshaft sensor and sometimes starts hard. Other than that I'm pretty happy..so far. Thanks to all.

Last edited by steve_97; 07-11-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

bhawk, thanks.. after I posted, I found the diagram showing the valve location. I should really learn to read.. it would make this whole internet experience much more enjoyable.

Anyway, it is a pretty easy fix... even for a non-gearhead like me. I jacked the car up and took the rear wheel off for easy access... I didn't even take the plastic cover off entirely.. just the two push tabs off the rear and it kind of flops out of the way enough to reach the offending part. So, essentially.. the only tool I needed besides the jack and lug wrench was a flat head screwdriver to unhook the power cable from the valve.

Anyway.. I got mine off and looked inside.. I could see some sediment in there that looked suspiciously like the color of the mud puddle that forms at the end of my driveway during heavy rains.... hmm. It's a pretty simple design.. a small piston is connected to a relay that slides up and down. I stuck a small screwdriver in there to try and move the piston.... it seemed pretty well jammed but I could move it will a little effort. So, I unloaded about half of a can of WD-40 in there and let it sit for a few minutes. It moved only slightly easier after that. I moved it into the open position and left it there so I could at least put gas into my car without it overflowing until I could get a replacement ordered.

So, I ordered the replacement yesterday... and lo and behold.. my "Service Engine Soon" light turns off this morning on my way to work!?!? So... I'm not sure if it's functioning like it should or not. At least I have a spare on the way. I suspect it'll fail again. Before I knew what the problem was.. my SES light came on after filling up and then, just when I was about to take it in, It'd go out. So I just thought it was bad gas or my gas cap wasn't on tight or something.

I'm low on gas.. so, I guess that'll be the test if it's in the right position or not... I wear galoshes this time just in case. ;)
Old 07-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Hi I have the same problem with my 2005 Sentra. I was wondering if you could e-mail me repair solution as I am having trouble printing off this site. thanks [email protected] Nissan want to do an expensive repair job and my son-in-law thinks he can fix it using your advice. Once again thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

hmndesro, I replaced mine the other day and took some pictures. I'll post 'em later today or tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:12 PM

skipjack2001. I got a replacement valve(170.00) at Nissan. Got it in and have managed to put gas in and keep it there. Thanks for help with the solution to this problem. The guy at he parts department at Nissan told me "this is a fairly common problem". (not in any other car I have ever driven)
Old 08-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast
2004 Sentra

Okay... per request, here's some pictures of the process... as I did it:

First, here's the part you're looking for (14935-AM60B):

1: Jack up the car and remove wheel:

2: Move the plastic shield out of the way:

3: Pull hose off and turn out of the way.

4: Rotate valve and pull out. You may hear a "woosh" if it's stuck in the shut position:

Then you just do the reverse order to replace.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
steve_97

Thanks to Skipjack! It helps a whole lot, saves me some buckage because things are pretty tight for me now.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:58 AM
blondee

yes i have a 2004 Nissan Sentra that wont let me put gas in it even when it is empty just comes shooting out as soon i i try to fill it up.called nisssan and they new rite away it was the vent control valve,these cars should be recalled for this reason,in my opinion.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 PM
steve_97

Default Saved a lot of dough

I feel for the Nissan owners who can't get the problem fixed under warranty, or recall, and are paying big bucks. After SkipJack posted how to find and remove the vent control valve. It was very easy to remove. I sprayed it with a lot of wd-40 and worked the inside with a small screwdriver. There is a small spring that was stuck, let the wd-40 soak in and then gently pry the valve until it is free. I can now fill my tank quickly. However, the check engine light is still on so I'll see if there is a fix here to clear the code.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
TheDean

The WD-40 trick worked for me! My vent control valve was super stuck. I couldn't get it to move by prying with a screwdriver and tons of WD-40, and I thought I was going to have to buy a replacement. When my parts shop didn't have it, I decided to try a little harder with the stuck one. Mine (98 Sentra) has a metal cap on the top of the valve, and I pried it off with a screwdriver. Then I was able to see the top of the plunger (after I removed a gold colored metal piece and a little spring). I tapped (pounded) on the top of the plunger with a screwdriver, and finally it broke free. I glued the metal cap back on and reinstalled the valve, and it works. I can fill my gas tank in less than 10 minutes now!! I had to go to a mechanic to get my codes cleared and service engine light off. 100 miles later it's still off. Thanks everyone for your advice- couldn't have done it without ya!
Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM
triple86

hey anybody tell me where is the valve located?

thanks

Tags
18s, 2004, gas, pumping, sentra, spills